Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14735 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been attending SDCC since 2008 and watched the popularity of the convention absolutely skyrocket with the addition of Hollywood.

Every year though, it seems more studios/companies/productions pull out of SDCC. With Marvel not doing a Hall H panel this year, it go me thinking.

Has SDCC started its descent in popularity/relevance?

Most major movie studios have abandoned SDCC, the freebies/handouts have decreased both in quantity and quality, Disney chooses to showcase almost all of their stuff at D23 now and continues to gobble up more entertainment, Lionsgate pulled out of the deal with Comic-Con HQ, Nerd HQ is no more, Conival has decreased in scope and size, and the general craziness/fervor just seems less now.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

In popular culture criticism, some people are saying "TV is the new Film".  The medium attracts better talent behind the camera and in front of it than it ever has.  There are corrently almost 500 scripted TV series in production.  While film is decreasing, TV seems to be doing just fine.  The only difference is that TV as a medium is larger than any individual show due to the fractionalization of the audience.

Until I see fewer people going for badges, I don't think we are seeing a decline in popularity.  I also think a few entities over-stepped in terms of scope and need to retrench.

I think that a Comic-con that is popular as a whole, but where attendees aren't all trying to get into one or two things, but are more scattered, is a better convention.

A few people above have pointed to the demise of Nerd HQ and other offsites as examples.  These aren't examples of a decline in popularity.  They were popular.  They are examples of poor business models.  They couldn't sustain themselves financially despite many attendees.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:02:24 AM by dkd »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
Yeah, the logic here could be applied to movies. They don't sell like they used to, but TV is out of control. SDCC gets lots of the huge TV shows and they aren't showing any signs of dropping out. I disagree with the assessment that SDCC is waning because large movie panels have scaled back. Means nothing in the larger picture.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:38:53 AM »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
I too will always go. I could care less if Marvel is there. If that's the only reason some people go, those are weird priorities in my mind. Every turn, every nook, every cranny holds something truly delightful at SDCC. Hall H is really the least of it for me, up until last year, I'd never done the Hall H line or been in it other than a Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The place is packed and it feels like there are practically overnight lines for stale nachos, much less any decent panels. I just don't feel like the crowds are going away...

What Mel and TJ said—both posts perfectly sums up what I wanted to say. Unless something weird happens, SDCC will be fine and be crowded each year.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
I don't need the big movie studios.... have never had a problem finding something that I wanted to do or see. And I can't imagine that will change anytime soon.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
It seems like the decrease in movie studio representation has coincided with an increase in streaming service representation so the amount of content is about the same. If there gas been a popularity drop off it isn't much yet.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
What Mel and TJ said—both posts perfectly sums up what I wanted to say. Unless something weird happens, SDCC will be fine and be crowded each year.
100% agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
I've been going since before the big Hollywood panels and will go after they have gone (if they do).  :)
When would that've been?  I mean, the original Star Wars had a Comic-Con panel in 1975.  You mean pre-Hall H shenanigans?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
You are not crazy.

CCI peaked in attendance and relevancy a few years ago. It is in a slow "decline", if that's the right word, in terms of the industry and it's importance. The crowds aren't going anywhere but it is a different type of crowd.
For the movie industry, some of it dates back to Scott Pilgrim. It was extremely hyped at comic con but withered at the box office. Others like Cowboys Vs Aliens demonstrated that screaming comic con crowds do not translate into ticket sales.
Now, with the media conglomerates, they can have their own conventions and control everything from venue to media.

To be continued...
No, the attendance has eclipsed the max. attendance, with still literally hundreds of thousands trying and failing to score a badge.  Attendance is very healthy and has been for well over a decade.

You're right about studios being much smarter about investing in Comic-Con.  It was unfortunate that a studio thought SCOTT PILGRIM was not indeed a sort of niche of a niche and thought it would somehow have wide mainstream appeal (I was both at the panel and the premier screening in 2010); and COWBOYS & ALIENS is just a flat-out not-so-good movie regardless of talent - again, a weird niche premise w/mainstream hope.
There have been plenty of Comic-Con success stories.  Of course Marvel Studios is the obvious one, but I would say something like DEADPOOL heavily benefited from it's Comic-Con hype.  And of course, KICK ASS was literally a hit because of Comic-Con: no question about that.  The success stories, though, are essentially "good movies play like gangbusters at SDCCI and then translate to box office while niche or flat-out bad movies don't produce and likely never would have regardless of Comic-Con."  Studios are being smarter about what to bring to Comic-Con and are being far more finicky about what they bring.  Gone are the days where studios throw a ton at the Hall H crowd to see what sticks: we won't see a panel of very mediocre-to-bad panels (like, for example, JONAH HEX, though they really did try hard to sell that snot out of that).  That's not a bad thing.

Once upon a con, exclusives where just that, a small number of items exclusive to comic con. Then, when vendors saw that people where throwing all kinds of cash at them, everyone has not just one, but multiple exclusives now. How long is the list now?
And in many instances, you can buy the same item later at another convention or online. Legos and funkos still draw big numbers but the flipper market has contracted.

Other areas of contraction, which others have noted are:
The demise of Nerd HQ.
The demise of the Alter-con (what was the name?)
The demise of Nerdist events. No more nerdist live. Like the studios, the return wasn't worth the investment.
The demise of large offsite exhibits (Godzilla) and storefronts (king of nerds cereal bar, practical jokers, etc.).
Only Snoopy hangs on.
Ha; the offsite events are alive and strong: I'd say last year's offsite events were not only the biggest ever, but were the best quality.  West World, Blade Runner: all GOAT (so far) offsites.  Part of what I've heard around town is that there are SO MANY requests for offsite that a) it's hard to find appropriate space and b) it can get WAY expensive with locals knowing they can charge a major Hollywood studio BANK to use their warehouse or business for a week and a half.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »
Alot of mixed comments, but seeing how so many try go and miss a chance cause badge sell so fast that i saw alot people tagging others in a fb group last year and it was alot lol. i only discovered volunteer by checking the account and seeing volunteer tab and was thinking why not cause save u a bundle to help for a few ea day and still enjoy the event. not sure how many actually try for a badge and get mad and then try volunteer and get in by that way every year. i think anyone who not able get a badge by sales but by volunteer should be thankful and happy its another option so u not gotta just enjoy off sites every year but get to go in and check out stuff u want and get any free stuff by chance. not sure if to say the bubble burst but they do need more space however they are able to do so overtime. but i think offsite stuff or events helps to keep the center not so crowded at anytime to where u able to walk around in empty space at anytime cause everyone is downstairs, in a panel, or outside checking out stuff around the center.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
I'm on the side that it has NOT decreased in popularity but in my mind dramatically increased.  I don't think the fact that large studios have pulled out of Hall H is an accurate barometer.  TV and streaming services have been supplanting movie ticket sales for years and the movie industry is scrambling to do what they can to still make money.  That is why theaters are converting to luxury seating with way less capacity (can't fill all the seats) to still try and draw in crowds.  Yes movie studios are pulling out of Hall H but those spots are getting replaced with things like Netflix, HBO, and I have a feeling Amazon studios soon.  Disney is just doing their own thing (who else would have the ability to do that) and Marvel is skipping this year because they only come if they have an epic panel to put on, timing just isn't right this year. 

I've only been going for 5 years but if anything think things are even more crowded on the show floor and gas lamp than when I started.  In the last few years SDCC has entered the main stream culture more and more and shows like Conan and Syfy  broadcast from it and I see mention of SDCC on shows like Big Bang Theory etc.  As far as offsites I highly disagree they are on the decline.  As [member=380]perc2100[/member] mentioned I think last year had the greatest offsites ever.  I didn't get to most of them (too popular) but we had Westworld, BladeRunner, GOT, Netflix, Walking Dead, Tech Expo, Rick & Morty and Impractical jokers at Petco, Adult Swim, FX area, plus tons and tons more. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
Having had chance to actually get in last year, that i know to be more selective on swag i want most. i gotta carry a pack around and so need try keep a light as possible cause i know i got sore overtime cause was carrying too much overtime lol. so just gotta take less and try collect less of what i really dont want or need lol. so gotta have a gameplan or u be roaming around and miss stuff cause u didnt plan or not aware of the goods or gems close by.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
I know it's not a good measure, but right now, the only 2 hotels available on Onpeak are the Hampton Inn and Dana.  Last year, I logged in at various times and saw plenty of other Mission Valley Hotels available. 

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »
I know it's not a good measure, but right now, the only 2 hotels available on Onpeak are the Hampton Inn and Dana.  Last year, I logged in at various times and saw plenty of other Mission Valley Hotels available.

Yeah. They even had Downtown hotels on and off before?

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
Exactly, attendance peaked years ago. It hasn't eclipsed, it's plateaud. It can't get any bigger because the venue can't get any bigger. The crowds are bigger as the number of looky-loos has gone up significantly. Go see how many sites tell you how to hack comic-con. That is why the promo off sites are "huge". CCI had a chance to have a massive event of 200,00-250,000 attendees, but now it's stuck. The city is happy because there are those paying over $500 a night for rooms. But more and more of this spending does not benefit CCI.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 04:01:13 AM »
The city is happy because there are those paying over $500 a night for rooms. But more and more of this spending does not benefit CCI.

If you look at their financials, their revenue has been seeing 10-11 percent increases.

And, as an aside, Vegas hotels are no less likely to gouge during the big events. Rooms at the Venetian are going for 600 on New Years and 900 during CES.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:10:07 AM by rabbitwarren »