Author Topic: TWD Season 10 (spoilers)  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
TWD Season 10 (spoilers)
« on: October 07, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
Walking 10 Season 10 has begun! This is my review of the premiere episode.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What did everyone else think?

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
Re: TWD Season 10 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
I thought it was a very satisfying start to the season. Enjoyed your review and agree it was nice to have touched base with all the major characters.
I also enjoyed the Talking Dead that followed - great line up on the couch and behind it!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:33:41 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
Yes, it was the most lively Talking Dead in a while. Somehow, the Fear crew just never seem to have as much fun...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
Walking 10 Season 10 has begun! This is my review of the premiere episode.

What did everyone else think?

It was a pretty good season opener: some interesting stuff being setup.  I think for me, though, I'm just not really that into this series anymore.  I continue through, feeling like I'm obligated in watching: it's better than it was a few seasons back, and I don't necessarily dislike it - I'm just not necessarily a fan either at this point.  If I'm being honest, the Whisperers arc in the comics felt mostly lame to me, though that was the ark that made me like and appreciate Negan.  I do genuinely enjoy his evolving character arc, and Jeffery Dean Morgan is a great actor who continually make a 1-dimensional character (especially in the comics) come to life nicely.  I also do enjoy the character beats of this episode, with the domestic lives of the characters on display.  For the the 'constant threat' of the Whisperers just serves shows me the worst of this series on display (1) "it's not the zombies that we need to worry about, it's HUMANS!!" 2) "our heroes mess up and piss off the big bads of the season" 3)"said big bads to something huge in retaliation" 4) there's some sort of strategizing and war 5) our heroes are amazing shots when called for, awful shots other times 6)a character or two we may or may not care about dies along the way 7) our heroes overcome the odds and defeat the big bads 8) the next big bads are introduced).  I really think the next story arc has great potential for the series, with a city-sized community up and running.  I heard casting announcements for a pivotal character that kicks off that story (which was the final one of the books), and I look forward to that happening sooner than later.  I especially got a chuckle out of domesticated Eugene taking care of a baby as if its a science experiment.

There is definitely a lot more up-side for The Walking Dead nowadays than there was even just a few years ago.  I dig what the new show runner is doing, and had there not been a noticeable change in course last season I think I would've been done with this series.  I still think this show lacks a compelling lead or two, and I think it's an inherent flaw that the 'big bads' are continually more interesting characters than the leads.  The new cast member announced recently (at NY Comic-Con maybe?) could go well or horribly, depending on how the character is realized for the series.  I still don't think the characters being pushed as the new leads, Daryl, Michonne, and Carol, aren't solid characters: real good co-stars but not strong enough to carry the series.  I think for whatever reason the show continues to kind of ignore Ezekiel, someone who's shown a strong personality, who could've been a solid lead with better writing of his character (yeah, I get the "Carol & Daryl are long-timers on the series and have "earned" the lead status they now enjoy" reasoning, but I don't think they're that compelling of characters).  The show is good enough for me to stick around, and I do genuinely feel interested in seeing where things go from here.  My favorite Negan character arc from the books occurs during the thick of the Whisperers Wars, and I'm actually kinda excited to see how the show handles all of that.
Here's hoping the series builds off of a solid season opener!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
You make a good point, Perc, that the most compelling characters are the ones that seem to be leaving the show. I also  agree with your point about Ezekiel being one fo the more interesting characters, and someone who should be stepping more into the lead. I also enjoy Negan, but see his as a redemption arc, such that he is not one of the 'big bads; any longer. You do have the right of things in the general story  arc, although I see this as 'humans are doomed to repeat themselves because as a race we are inherently flawed and need to work to overcome this. With minor comics spoilers, I feel like the final 'group encounter' in the comics actually had them doing their best, having learned from past mistakes, and still getting into trouble.

Regardless, the show has definitely turned a corner and I am enjoying the ongoing storylines.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
What did you guys think of this week's Whisperers-centric episode?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:33:14 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »
My favorite scene was Alpha lifting Beta's mask, looking at his face and then pulling the mask back down.
I think her acceptance of his face, whatever condition it is in, is a huge cornerstone of his loyalty to her.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
My favorite scene was Alpha lifting Beta's mask, looking at his face and then pulling the mask back down.
I think her acceptance of his face, whatever condition it is in, is a huge cornerstone of his loyalty to her.

Either that, or she was so horrified she was like, 'Better put this mask back on.'  ;)

Seriously though, I believe you are correct, Janray. Beta seems himself as some kind of monster, and Alpha accepting him despite that means something to him.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »
Here's my review for episode 3.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
Episode 4 thoughts.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
Episode 4 thoughts.

I absolutely adored Michonne/Judith stuff in this ep!  As a parent I caught that "proud mamma" look, and to juxtapose that into the "daughter is slaughtering zombies" context really cracked me up for some reason.  I also have really liked how Judith seems to be the antithesis of Carl: where Carl felt mostly devoid of character and personality, Judith is a little fire cracker.  She is a joy to watch on screen, though I suspect it's a wise move to give audiences smallish doses of the child actor (so we don't get tired of her too soon, as it seemed many did with Carl).  I think the best decision of the show runner was to flash forward in order to bring Judith more to the forefront, and I think she is easily one of the most interesting characters on the show, if not THE most interesting.  And wow, did I not ever think I'd say that when she was a baby.

Also crack me the heck up was the small exchange between Eugene and Luke.  It was essentially throw-away dialogue, where Eugene makes a smarty-pants obscure reference (the order of Blattodea) and Luke immediately follows up ID'ing it as a type of cockroach.  Eugene gives Luke a surprised look, as if "wait: someone got that?!" and Luke gives him a confident wink/smirk.  It's a small moment, but for me it's those small moments where the show shines, and feels organic instead much of the sometimes clunky writing that's clearly either shifting one piece across the board to further the plot or heavy-handed dialogue trying to bring the drama but feeling more like a dopey soap opera.
I actually really dig Luke, and I'm only slightly biased as I'm a music teacher.
To be honest, it's the little moments that keep me coming back.

I also dug the Negan story line, as it adds complexity to a show that rarely goes for that sort of thing.  Moral grey areas are always ripe for exploring, and a hurt human trying to help another hurt human, with unintentionally disastrous results will also intrigue me (because, really, that is life to an extent: the grey areas of striving to do the right thing, even if that means cutting corners or doing something slightly shady and hoping the ends justify the means).

I typically watch TWD Monday afternoons when I get home from work, but I was extra busy yesterday and didn't get around until today.  I had already read Transmute Jun's review and was bummed that there were no Whisperers in this ep.  I was bracing myself for being bored, expecting one of those 'tedious but necessary episodes that meticulously sets up several story lines in the near future" and was pleasantly surprised to mostly like this episode.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
You know, you don't have to read my review until you've watched the episode... that's why there's a spoiler warning at the top... ;)

Judith is a little fire cracker.

Like Shane?  ;D

I agree that this Judith is fun to watch, but in larger doses she might be too precocious. So far, they are getting the mix right. I also agree about the moral grey areas being good storytelling. If it makes you think 'What would I do  in that situation?' and you know that there's a reasonable chance that you might have done the same thing, then it works to draw you in.

Luke seems to be a fun character, but they haven't explored him enough for me to form a solid opinion. I liked how he was bonding with Alden last season, but then that all went to heck and they haven't picked up on any of that since.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
You know, you don't have to read my review until you've watched the episode... that's why there's a spoiler warning at the top... ;)

Like Shane?  ;D

I agree that this Judith is fun to watch, but in larger doses she might be too precocious. So far, they are getting the mix right. I also agree about the moral grey areas being good storytelling. If it makes you think 'What would I do  in that situation?' and you know that there's a reasonable chance that you might have done the same thing, then it works to draw you in.

Luke seems to be a fun character, but they haven't explored him enough for me to form a solid opinion. I liked how he was bonding with Alden last season, but then that all went to heck and they haven't picked up on any of that since.
Luke seems like he _could_ be a fun character, and I think that's why I like him.  Like Judith, maybe I like him, though, because a little of him goes a long way?  He seems to have a more interesting personality, but he could also be used as slight comic relief or a character type for the main characters to bounce off of.  I guess I'll enjoy what we get of him!

Most movies or show reviews I avoid until I'm caught up.  I usually read your reviews either while I'm watching (it's not uncommon for me to start reading your reviews in the last quarter or so of the episode - sometimes because I watch a little passively and use your review to gauge if I missed something important/interesting or not) or immediately afterwards.  I feel like we're on the same wavelength for the most part, albeit I think you're enjoying the series a bit more than I do, though not afraid to be critical as necessary. 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
LOL, I am a fan of the comics, so I enjoy the series as an extension of that, just as I enjoyed the novels and Telltale games (RIP Telltale) as an extension of the universe. Because of this, I anticipate major plot turns, and am not as horrified or disappointed as some when they occur (as many were, for example, with Negan's murder of Abraham and Glenn). Naturally, the show is not perfect, and there are mistakes that have been made (having Negan kill Glenn, the false marketing of 'Rick's final episodes', rushing Carol's breakup with Ezekiel, etc.) yet overall it is one of the most enjoyable hours of television I see each week. I think a lot of that is because I am very interested in plot and character development, and both of those things continue to interest me, unlike in other shows, where my interest can wane as things stagnate or become formulaic.

This being said, Fear has been lagging for me for quite a while. I enjoy Dwight's character, but his small part is not enough to prop up that entire show. 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
My episode review for this week has been published.