Author Topic: Canceled: Comicpalooza May 22nd-24th Houston TX  (Read 1575 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Canceled: Comicpalooza May 22nd-24th Houston TX
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
I am going to visit my family and we plan to attend this.  My guess is it is similar to other small cons.  Does anyone go?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am also trying to decide if I should bother with VIP or just buy the regular 3-day pass.  Any advice on that would be great. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 03:15:50 PM by Angology »
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Comicpalooza May 22nd-24th Houston TX
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »
We go every year. We actually have done VIP every year, but aren't getting it this year. It's worth it if you do a lot of autographs, and want first entry into the big panels. The swag bag is mostly art from the artists attending. We mostly go to the smaller panels, and don't really care about getting on the floor thirty minutes earlier anymore.

There are a lot of panels, and some really different ones. NASA has a big presence, too, which is nice. Our favorites are the FBI panels. They usually have decent comic book representation and a pretty diverse guest list, as far as television guests.

The area around the con is nice. We stay at the Hilton, which is attached, so that's convenient.
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Canceled: Comicpalooza May 22nd-24th Houston TX
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:17:58 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Thank you for the information.  I mainly do big panels.   I can live without being close even though the spoiled brat in me loves it!   Will I have a problem getting into those? Do they clear the room?

My guess is the floor doesn't have exclusives to that con and the 30 mins only saves you time away from the crowd?  Let me know if I am wrong.

I don't do the autographs and photo ops

We did book rooms at the Hilton so we will be at the same hotel!!!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
No exclusives, so the thirty minutes early is just to beat the crowds. The lines do get kind of long for the GA for the big panels. I'm trying to remember if they clear the rooms. I think they do with the big rooms - let me get back to you on that one. We have always done VIP, so I don't know how hard it is to get in without. I guess we might find out this year.

A tip for meals - there is a Greek based gourmet grocery store within walking distance where you can get a cheap and filling breakfast, and get food for later. The restaurant at the Hilton (both the hotel based one, and the Mexican restaurant) are pricey. We do usually do one meal at the Mexican restaurant. There are restaurants in the convention center area (they built it up for the Super Bowl), but the sandwich place was closed last year, so I need to check on those again. They have interesting food choices in the exhibit hall, not just your ordinary exhibit hall food.
Ang

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
Thank you!  I appreciate it. 

I think VIP becomes less important (Panel perspective) when they don't clear the room.  You can work your way to be close between panels if they are easy to get into.  Though I guess that also depends if they have a VIP section, which based off the FAQ sounds like they don't

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
Comicpalooza is cancelled - updated the calendar link. (Sorry I'm so late-my work got busier)

They don't mention it, but I was able to cancel my hotel with no issues. Growtix has issued refunds.

If you do not receive your confirmation email in a timely manner or the refund posted to your account, please contact Growtix at [email protected]. Growtix will ensure they’ve taken the appropriate steps and, if necessary, will reach out to their bank on your behalf. If you do not feel like you’re getting the proper response, you can always email us at [email protected].

They do have a link to shop the vendors from this year's Con:

Ang

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
I was impressed with how well they handled it.  I had my refund within a day or two of the email.  I wasn't worried about the hotel since they canceled before the deadline to cancel your hotel. 

They get my kudos!