Author Topic: Conan 2019  (Read 40794 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Conan 2019 Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 12:34:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to admit the whole thing with people getting there earlier and earlier had me questioning how long I would continue to go.  I wasn't going to sleep out for it after winning the ticket.

The same thing happened to Conan as what happened to Hall H and the Everything Else line.  People always try to beat the previous year's line up time and it creeps sooner and sooner and sooner.  Quite ridiculous, but a natural occurrence when it comes to lines at SDCC.  We can throw ideas out on how to combat it but ultimately it's out of our control.  Sadly, just like with Hall H, I'd probably keep doing it though.  I grew up on Conan (staying up way too late on school nights) so being able to see him in person was super special to me.

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
I'd still go if it happened to fit into our schedule. There have been a couple of years that we got tickets, but ended up releasing them because of a conflicting schedule. Since last year was a "non-Marvel" year we were able to actually to use our the Saturday tickets we received. It was our first time ever! I had heard the horror stories about having to line up early in the morning just to get the tickets that were allotted to you, and them running out by 10am earlier in the week.

We got lucky and were able to go to the WB panel in Hall H that morning, then go over and pick up our tickets when that let out. There were still plenty of tickets left even though it was like 1pm by then!  We were able to get lunch and do the Mr. Mercedes offsite (we had a fastpass, but there was no line anyway) before heading over to Conan. We got pretty decent seats too, in the lower section, just a couple rows behind the band. Then afterward, we went to the Purge panel, and checked out the VR pavilion thing over at Omni after that. So from our perspective, it wasn't much of a time suck at all.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Conan 2019
« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:28:07 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
I'd still go if it happened to fit into our schedule. There have been a couple of years that we got tickets, but ended up releasing them because of a conflicting schedule. Since last year was a "non-Marvel" year we were able to actually to use our the Saturday tickets we received. It was our first time ever! I had heard the horror stories about having to line up early in the morning just to get the tickets that were allotted to you, and them running out by 10am earlier in the week.

We got lucky and were able to go to the WB panel in Hall H that morning, then go over and pick up our tickets when that let out. There were still plenty of tickets left even though it was like 1pm by then!  We were able to get lunch and do the Mr. Mercedes offsite (we had a fastpass, but there was no line anyway) before heading over to Conan. We got pretty decent seats too, in the lower section, just a couple rows behind the band. Then afterward, we went to the Purge panel, and checked out the VR pavilion thing over at Omni after that. So from our perspective, it wasn't much of a time suck at all.

They tightened things up last year and I didn't hear any complaints about not getting in.  They were smart they took any leftover tickets and gave them out on the streets instead of a standby line.  That really seemed to be an improvement on their part.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
Ah excellent.  They perfected it in the (likely) last year they do it lmao  :'(

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
LMAO, right! 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »
As a Conan fan, will be sad if he is gone.
As a fan of free pops, Will suck they are gone.
As a person who knows the ridiculousness that people go to try and get the pops from Conan the last few years.....I'm ok with it being gone.
Would mainly be a bummer if the Conan Comedy House wasn't there again because that was amazing.
We were able to attend the Comedy House as well and loved it! I appreciate the creativity and vibe Conan’s crew puts into every venture!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
The same thing happened to Conan as what happened to Hall H and the Everything Else line.  People always try to beat the previous year's line up time and it creeps sooner and sooner and sooner.  Quite ridiculous, but a natural occurrence when it comes to lines at SDCC.  We can throw ideas out on how to combat it but ultimately it's out of our control.  Sadly, just like with Hall H, I'd probably keep doing it though.  I grew up on Conan (staying up way too late on school nights) so being able to see him in person was super special to me.
I'm with you on that.  I was a fan of his when he was on SNL: mainly as a writer, but he appeared in some sketches and had such a uniquely goofy demeanor I couldn't help but think, "ooh: the red head is in this sketch!"  I was hyped when he got the Late Night gig, and watched him almost religiously (sometimes via VHS, recording his episodes and watching them the next day)!  His early days were almost boarder-line disastrously funny, and as he found his stride he was second only to GOAT Letterman in comic genius (IMO).

I was so hyped when I won the golden ticket on year three, and had a blast at the taping.  Now that I've done it, I don't stress too much about scoring another ticket.  I hope to scores tix if he's back this year, but I won't stress if I don't (and I'll certainly find other things to occupy my time :) )

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
I'm with you on that.  I was a fan of his when he was on SNL: mainly as a writer, but he appeared in some sketches and had such a uniquely goofy demeanor I couldn't help but think, "ooh: the red head is in this sketch!"  I was hyped when he got the Late Night gig, and watched him almost religiously (sometimes via VHS, recording his episodes and watching them the next day)!  His early days were almost boarder-line disastrously funny, and as he found his stride he was second only to GOAT Letterman in comic genius (IMO).

I was so hyped when I won the golden ticket on year three, and had a blast at the taping.  Now that I've done it, I don't stress too much about scoring another ticket.  I hope to scores tix if he's back this year, but I won't stress if I don't (and I'll certainly find other things to occupy my time :) )

I still quote his late night comedy jokes from like 15 years ago to this day.  Of course nobody gets the jokes but they were so funny they stuck with me for a decade and a half hahaha.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
I assumed the live show was gone, but thought maybe he'd still do his comedy house, but if there are LA tapings during SDCC, then I guess he's out all together

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »
I assumed the live show was gone, but thought maybe he'd still do his comedy house, but if there are LA tapings during SDCC, then I guess he's out all together

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think at this point we don't know yet: nothing official, just some sort of SNAFU on their ticketing website is my best guess.  No point being super excited or bummed out just yet (don't tell my wife, but Comic-Con seems to be one of the few things I'm perpetually optimistic about)

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
It would certainly be odd if he didn't have any kind of presence at SDCC - ever since 2015 his face (or his POP face) has been an integral part of the marketing for SDCC. I remember the first year he was there his POP ad was on one of the biggest hotels downtown. I remember the first SDCC promotion I saw last year was Conan on the airport escalators as soon as I got off my plane.

I will say, I don't think he'll be back at the theater, even though they controlled a bit of the hype last year and didn't allow people to lineup overnight, it still seems like his live tapings at Spreckles are getting harder to control with each year...but I could see him coming back as a moderator for panels, have his own panel, or maybe even host the SDCC Funko Funday party.

Or maybe they've got something planned that is completely different, like an event at the baseball park or some kind of party.

I just think he's made too much of an impact at SDCC to completely disappear. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:42:29 AM by rickythump »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »
Many things became iconic at SDCC and then just stopped one year.

I also don't think they will have the tapings any more. There's really no show to tape anymore. The new format of the show is more sit down in my living room and chat then a variety talk show like it used to be. I doubt they have the budget for it anymore.

I do think that Conan will be back. He already showed how last year. The comedy club. That worked really well last year. It's relatively low cost to put on. It boosts Conan the brand as oppose to Conan the TBS TV show. He could do it independent of TBS. Last year it was free but even if he charged for it, I think it would still sell out in an instant. That would go a long way to mitigate the cost and it fits right in with his comedy tour earlier this year.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
I definitely have a gut feeling we will see a Conan presence in some sort of capacity, even if it is a reduced one, if for no other reason than the fact that the promo is too good for him to pass up, imo.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »
It would certainly be odd if he didn't have any kind of presence at SDCC - ever since 2015 his face (or his POP face) has been an integral part of the marketing for SDCC. I remember the first year he was there his POP ad was on one of the biggest hotels downtown. I remember the first SDCC promotion I saw last year was Conan on the airport escalators as soon as I got off my plane.

I will say, I don't think he'll be back at the theater, even though they controlled a bit of the hype last year and didn't allow people to lineup overnight, it still seems like his live tapings at Spreckles are getting harder to control with each year...but I could see him coming back as a moderator for panels, have his own panel, or maybe even host the SDCC Funko Funday party.

Or maybe they've got something planned that is completely different, like an event at the baseball park or some kind of party.

I just think he's made too much of an impact at SDCC to completely disappear.
Remember those Conan Pops! advertisements everywhere were for his TBS show: not really Comic-Con per say.  Ultimately it was promoting his TBS Comic-Con show-run.  I can see him maybe doing a live podcast in SD for a change: he can even do it similar to the comedy shows last year and put them in smallish, intimate venues.

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »
It bummed me out when I thought about Conan not coming because of his new show format. Doing Conan on Wednesday in 2016 was one of the best parts of our first SDCC experience. I hope he comes back in some capacity.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020