Author Topic: Gallifrey One - Los Angeles CA Feb 17-19, 2017  (Read 15472 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Gallifrey One - Los Angeles CA Feb 17-19, 2017
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
LOL, guess that means we'll be getting a king when we check in tomorrow! I don't mind, though.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
My friend's fight into LAX was cancelled by Southwest. Ours is still a go, but I'm getting nervous. We'll see if we're able to get in tonight.... *crossing fingers*

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 07:00:11 AM »

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My friend's fight into LAX was cancelled by Southwest. Ours is still a go, but I'm getting nervous. We'll see if we're able to get in tonight.... *crossing fingers*
That sucks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. There is some brilliant cosplay here. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
First con of the year is over for us. We had so much fun! Traded ribbons with [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] (saw her a few times during the weekend-it was great to see an FoCC friend!).

The concierge at the Marriott was closed for the weekend. We still got breakfast in a downstairs restaurant, but no night time service on Sunday (they did give us a $10 credit). Luckily, the sun came out for a little while on Saturday so that we could take a walk and get a little cheaper meal. Hotel food is so overpriced ($16.50 for a quesadilla that couldn't have cost them more than a couple of bucks to make).

As you can see, the only issues I had were hotel related. So many great and different panels. My highlight was watching the 10th doctor episode The Waters of Mars with two JPL employees on the Mars 2020 mission. That was so funny and interesting at the same time. They are big time Doctor Who fans, so it was really fun. I will never look at that episode the same way again. Next time you watch it, look at the base-it is supposedly in Gusev crater, which is 100 miles across. Those hallways that they keep running through would have to be at least 20 miles long, given that the views of the base shows it as taking up much of the crater.

Another favorite was the Hollyweird Science panel. The panelists belong to the Science & Entertainment Exchange which connects the entertainment industry with scientists for consults. Very interesting!

The best guest panel, for me, was the Creature Feature panel-it featured Dalek operators and the voice of the Daleks. Also in attendance were some of the actors behind other Doctor Who creatures. It was a fun panel with a lot of laughs.

There was also a concert by one of the composers that made music for Doctor Who. That was wonderful. My only criticism was that they let people in for the next performance towards the end, and those people were talking and chatting. I just wish people would respect that someone is on the stage doing what they love, and deserve a little more consideration. Not Gally's fault, just a minor annoyance.
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
I have to say, even as a non-Whovian, this was one of the nicest conventions I have ever attended! It was a model of a well-run fan convention. Everyone was so friendly and open and accepting. The panels were well run and going like clockwork. Everything was all in a close are and easy to get to. The hospitality lounge was fantastic and extremely well stocked! We were even able to get into the restaurants for food. I was very pleased by the con. My daughter and her friend had a fabulous time and are very much looking forward to next year (presuming we can get tickets). I am as well!

It was great seeing you, Ang! I just wish we had been able to see Teri. I know my friend was really grateful to her for being able to obtain tickets and hotel. She and her daughter had never been to a con before (of any kind) and they had a wonderful first experience!

Offline AreTwo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Agreed. This was my first time at Gallifrey One, and everything about it felt positive.  Good vibes all around. 

I can't believe I wasn't aware of it before. Well, I'd heard of it but for some reason I'd always thought Gallifrey One was held in England so I largely ignored it. And here's it's been, right in my backyard. 

We plan to try for tickets again for next year. It's just a shame it was held the same weekend as Long Beach Comic Expo. We ended up spending Friday - Saturday at Gallifrey One and then swung by LBCE on Sunday.
SDCC 2012-2014, 2016-2018; Wondercon 2013-2019 Comikaze/LA Comic Con 2013-2017; LBCC & LBCE 2012-2018; Gallifrey One: 2017-2019

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »
Another great year at Gallifrey One! It was our third, and already looking forward to next year. Agreed that the Creature Feature and Water of Mars JPL commentary were highlights of the weekend.

I also really enjoyed the Idiot's Lantern sketch comedy show that was on Friday night. Even if you weren't a fan of Doctor Who, you could enjoy it because they brought in other nerdy elements, like the Star Wars, Justice League, Sherlock, Doc Brown & Marty McFly, James Bond... It was a lot of fun! If you missed it this year, I highly recommend checking it out next year.

We're currently working on recaps of our weekend at Gally. If you're interested in checking them out, links are below.

Here's a link to our Friday recap: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's a link to Part 1 of our Saturday recap: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

More to come!

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
HOW DID I MISS YOU GUYS? I was on a constant lookout for Dolores, but I guess I must have been at different panels or in different places. :-(

I was apparently at some of the same panels as some of you, though. I thought the science riffing on Waters of Mars was one of the highlights of the convention, and I hope they do one every year. I saw the Timey Wimey puppet show for the first time, and it was delightful. And although I had never thought of Romana I as one of my favorite companions (or even my favorite Romana), Lalla Ward turned out to be such an extraordinary person that she has zoomed to the top of my list.

I'm selfishly grateful that pre-reg is uncharacteristically late. The weekend after Gally was the arts & humanities academic conference here at UT Dallas that I was responsible for organizing and running this year. I once walked over 11 miles in a day at SDCC (according to Fitbit), and I was not nearly so tired then as I was by yesterday afternoon.

That reminds me--I really love that Gally is small and self-contained. But I guess it's time to start getting in shape for the mileage that SDCC requires.

Alons-y!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
We looked out for you, Teri, but didn't see you! Ang said that she hadn't found you either. I was only Dolores on Saturday  though, so that might have been the issue.