Author Topic: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories  (Read 97812 times)

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
Re: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Screen Junkies if they do one this year. :)
Thanks for the tip.

Did they do one last year? If so, where was It? How do I get tickets?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 04:06:40 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

Did they do one last year? If so, where was It? How do I get tickets?

Yes last year was the first one, it was at Moonshine Flats on Thursday night.  They announced the free RSVP on their Twitter.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:02:07 AM »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 05:17:14 AM »
Yes last year was the first one, it was at Moonshine Flats on Thursday night.  They announced the free RSVP on their Twitter.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Foxygrandpa83

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
I wish so much to have any of these stories and experiences. Unfortunately not only am I not that lucky to be invited in but being the type of person who is horribly shy and keeps to self (in fact almost every vacation is just me) so getting connections to anything is rare as well.

You're among friends! I'm socially awkward and say stupid unfiltered things when put in social situations. Therefore, I tend to keep my mouth shut and keep to myself. Introverts unite!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »

You're among friends! I'm socially awkward and say stupid unfiltered things when put in social situations. Therefore, I tend to keep my mouth shut and keep to myself. Introverts unite!

We've all been there at some time or another. *hugs*

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
acting like you belong there is more powerful than you can possibly imagine. 

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »

That reminded me of something.  One year when I was staying at the Solamar, I had read about a party being held for bloggers that was at the pool.  I think I saw it listed in Hollywood Reporter.  I didn't know if it was invitation-only and I strode right in through the entrance from the hotel side--not the entrance to the special pool elevator that most people were arriving through.  If anyone was checking for invitations, I didn't see them.  I just strode up to the bar and ordered a drink (complimentary).

It wasn't until later that I thought "maybe I wasn't supposed to be there.", but who knows.

But, most parties I've experienced since then DO have stricter security.  When there was a Weezer concert for the Walking Dead a few years ago, I received wristbands for myself and guest.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
add "and not star-gazing/asking for autographs, etc."  I snuck (or 'sneaked?' any English major/teachers out there?) into a Planet Hollywood party one year.  As I sat at the bar taking it in, the bartender called me out for not having the proper wristband.  I kind of nonchalantly said, "oh yeah" and she said as long as I don't annoy anyone I'd be OK.

I've always personally been really weird about celebrities: there are very few that I would 'bother' in public.  I know they're people too and want to relax w/out having to schmooze with fans, or be on their best behavior so I typically let them be.  I think if the general public plays it really cool in party situations they'll be unnoticed and won't run into trouble (if they sneaked/snuck in by acting they belong there)

Offline Totorozzz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »
I remember last year I won an invite to the Nerdist Power Rangers Movie Party hosted at Petco Park. The Power Rangers Movie Twitter posted a tweet and those that responded were entered into the drawing for an invite and I got selected. The party was pretty fun. Free drinks and food, and I managed to see the iZombie cast there along with some Nerdist and Geek and Sundry folks.

Not sure if something similar will occur this year but it never hurts to follow certain popular Twitter accounts during SDCC.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
add "and not star-gazing/asking for autographs, etc."  I snuck (or 'sneaked?' any English major/teachers out there?) into a Planet Hollywood party one year.  As I sat at the bar taking it in, the bartender called me out for not having the proper wristband.  I kind of nonchalantly said, "oh yeah" and she said as long as I don't annoy anyone I'd be OK.

I've always personally been really weird about celebrities: there are very few that I would 'bother' in public.  I know they're people too and want to relax w/out having to schmooze with fans, or be on their best behavior so I typically let them be.  I think if the general public plays it really cool in party situations they'll be unnoticed and won't run into trouble (if they sneaked/snuck in by acting they belong there)

Actually I don't find that strange at all.  Or else I'm similarly strange  ;)

One of my first jobs was working at UCLA basketball games and I saw soooo many entertainers, athletes, sports legends (Magic, Bill Walton, John Wooden who was a regular of course) but never bothered any of them especially since I was of the mindset that it isn't what Coach Wooden would want.   I guess since then, anytime I come across a famous person out and about in Los Angeles, I never bother them at all.   

As for SDCC specifically, I remember seeing Chloe Bennet and her party walking rapidly into the exhibit hall during the closing calls and I just figured they were in a hurry to purchase something before the 10 minutes were up. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
I've never been to a SDCC party.  I can't barely move by the end of the day.  More hardcore stuff in this thread too.  :)

Offline thelisalower

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
I've yet to attend any SDCC party. I always have great intentions to try and go, but then am exhausted after the days end. I'm going solo this year, so maybe I'll be more adventurous and see what I can see. It would be fun if the situation is right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nicole426

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
At my last Comic Con (2014) I got into 2 Geek and Sundry parties, including an awesome Magic the Gathering one. I had to leave the first one not long after finally getting in to queue at Hall H. I checked my twitter and saw the line was already behind the center at 11pm. I had a goal to see Walking Dead and GOT. The second night I went with people I met sleeping for Hall H and we got in fast. I don't remember how early we got there but there wasn't much of a wait. I nearly met Felicia, she was dancing with a group next to me. Before I could say anything to her a group of guys literally tossed me out of the way. It was rude and obnoxious and Felicia went back to VIP right after that. Please stay relaxed around the celebs people!

I also was 3 away from getting into a Walking Dead party too, but I have back luck with cutoffs. Only waited an hour to be rejected though so not too bad.

Finally going again this year so I hope to get into some more of these! Thanks for the Twitter account suggestions!

Offline Badwolf30

• Sails Pavilion
  • I always have gum.
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
Anyone have any tips on how to get into the Wire Cafe Party? 

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
I'm curious about the Syfy party at Solamar?  Any thoughts on getting into this one.