Author Topic: MondoCon 2019-Sep 14-15, 2019 Austin, TX  (Read 9761 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: MondoCon 2019-Sep 14-15, 2019 Austin, TX
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:36 AM »
looking forward to seeing the panels announcement today!
I have to think the way the lines played out at sdcc influenced the design of the lines at mondo con....
Next up is screenings! We have been working around the clock to create an incredible line up this year and we think you’ll be just as stoked as we are. Screenings will be announced closer to the end of August, but we wanted to give you a head’s up that they will be held on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Con and you must have a MondoCon ticket to attend. Also, in an effort to ensure that attendees get a fair shot at tickets, we will be sending out an email with a private link to ticket holders approximately 48 hours in advance of the on sale, with a 2 ticket limit per person.

On Wednesday August 14th, we will announce our insane line up of panels complete with timing, so you can plan out your days ahead of time.

A few other items to note, so you can plan ahead:

Line up for MondoCon will begin at 11:59PM on Friday, September 13th. There will be one line for everyone when doors open.

And one last thing that you might be curious about…our reveals for posters, pins, apparel, tikis, toys, vinyl and more will begin on Monday September 3rd and continue through Friday September 13th.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

if anyone is interested in working together for the screenings... obviously i'm looking for another single to team up with ;)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:15:20 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
i
MondoCon 2019 Panels, Workshops & MORE!
Aug 14, 2019

We’re just 31 days out, and as promised, we’re back with another round of updates to get you even more STOKED for MondoCon 2019!

First up, artists! Unfortunately, Flat File ATX will no longer be able to join us, however, our friends Alex Pardee and the legendary Drew Struzan, along with Galactic Gallery, are heading to The Palmer and we cannot wait to see what they bring with them!

Along with the addition of Alex and Drew, we’re happy to announce that MondoCon alumni Sonny Day is bringing his DIY Skateboard Workshop titled, Skate Art Workshops with Sonny Day and Friends* (*may not be actual friends, more like I know that guy from work), to MondoCon!

It’s time to get RADICAL as bottom ranked amateur skateboarder Sonny Day, of Australia and WBYK, joins us to run two days of skateboard art workshops. Sonny has been running art workshops for kids and occasionally big kids since 2012.

Once you get past the accent, the classes should be quite EXTREME. Sonny will run the class through the design basics of skateboard graphics and get misty eyed as he talks about their influence on him as an artist and on culture as a whole. Attendees will get their own Mondo skateboard deck from PS STIX which they will be able to use as their canvas for their very own masterpiece of SHRED.

Workshops will run both Saturday and Sunday with tickets for each session including a customizable skate deck and all the materials needed to get radical for only $75. There will be 3 workshops on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Tickets will go on sale this coming Friday at 1p CST and will be limited to 20 people for each session.

In addition to Sonny’s workshop, we’ve lined up an incredible selections of panels for everyone to check out this year and spread them out across both days. Check out this awesome line up and schedule:
SATURDAY:

Art of Toy Making
A behind-the-scenes look at the Mondo collectibles with the Toys/Collectibles team of Brock Otterbacher, Michael Bonanno, Hector Arce, Aaron White, and very special guests! This panel will give fans insight into the toy-making process, a first look at a few upcoming releases, as well as prizes and other toy-related fun!

Underscore A Soundtrack Panel
Join Mo Shafeek and Spencer Hickman from the Mondo Music Group as they discuss how they approach creating new art work for soundtrack reissues from concept to completion. They will be joined on stage by Jon Dobyns founder of Anime label Tiger Lab and artist Alan Hynes who will be discussing his artistic process designing record packages for Mondo. Look out for new title announcements and some teases of forthcoming artwork. After a 60-minute panel discussion, the floor will be open to audience questions.

Canadian Horror Roundtable
The Mondo roster of artists with an appreciation for horror bleeds maple.  Enjoy a roundtable discussion featuring Gary Pullin, Paige Reynolds and Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative, Randy Ortiz, Sara Deck, Matty Ryan Tobin and Jason Edmiston. Host Mark Brickey (Adventures In Design) conducts a bunch of Canucks yapping about the delights held in darkness.

Draplin Design Co: "Things That Don't Have A Thing To Do With Graphic Design”
As a graphic designer, I'm lucky to make things for all kinds of things. But more and more, I'm realizing the profound impact it has on the things in the rest of my life. Things in my backyard. Things that hold things. Things for my nephew. And things on one of the saddest days of my life. That's a lot of things. Plus, we'll update you on all the things we've been up to, aside from all those other things. Tons of new things!
SUNDAY:

MondoCon Spotlight: Greg Ruth
Sit fireside with Greg Ruth as he discusses his storied artistic career. With a focus on pieces produced for Mondo including his staggering output for Twin Peaks, Greg shares his process and a surprise or two. Hosts Mitch Putnam, Eric Garza and Rob Jones helm a spelunking adventure through the mind caverns of a master.

Live Draw
Ever wonder how a poster comes together? Come watch as Daniel Danger, Matt Taylor, and Jock collaborate live and in person to design a movie poster in front of your very eyes. In this panel, the audience will have the opportunity to choose a title and then witness (and participate in) the creative process from start to... basically finish.

Mondo Talk
Join the creative team behind Mondo’s posters - Rob Jones, Mitch Putnam, and Eric Garza - as they discuss and share insights behind the process of putting together a Mondo poster. The panel will include a presentation of alternate concepts and directions, commentary behind some of the biggest releases of the year, and the opportunity to vote on direction for an upcoming Mondo poster. *Please note that we will be enforcing a strict NO CELL PHONE policy during Mondo Talk and NO PHOTOS or VIDEO will be allowed. Violators will be removed from the panel room.

We are also happy to have a new addition to MC this year, an entire area dedicated to games! Mondo Games is proud to sponsor the Gaming Lounge where attendees will be able to play a variety of tabletop games from several of our favorite game publishers including: Keymaster Games (Parks, Campy Creatures, Space Park), Skybound Games (Superfight, Red Flags, Trial by Trolly), Pandasaurus Games (The Mind, Dinosaur Island, Dead Man’s Cabal), Restoration Games  (Fireball Island, Downforce, Conspiracy) and of course Mondo Games (The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31, Fate of Fantos, Video Vortex).

Attendees will be able to check out games for free and get first hand demos from the creative teams responsible for their creation. Plus, try your hand at Unmatched, the latest joint release from Mondo and Restoration games that is taking the hobby by storm!

Another item to note is parking for MondoCon! Parking will be available for both days at the The Palmer! There is a garage on site that attendees will be able to use for only $8 per day. While there is plenty of space, we recommend arriving as early as possible to make sure you are able to secure a spot. You can get more info on that HERE.

There are 14,000,605 ways to have an amazing time at MondoCon and ZERO chances you won’t. So get your tickets HERE and meet us at The Palmer Events Center on September 14th and 15th for an amazing weekend of art, friends, soundtracks, toys, laughs and more. We’ll check back again real soon with info on FOOD, BEER, SCREENINGS and any last minute details that you need to know. In the meantime, if you have any questions, hit us up at [email protected]. And be sure to keep your eyes on @MondoCon on Instagram for exclusive reveals, as well as artist and vendor highlights.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 11:35:12 AM »

Offline takit0

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
looking forward to seeing the panels announcement today!
I have to think the way the lines played out at sdcc influenced the design of the lines at mondo con.... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

if anyone is interested in working together for the screenings... obviously i'm looking for another single to team up with ;)

Oh it did. They felt like it worked really well there at SDCC, so they are bringing it to MondoCon. You can start lining up for Saturday at midnight (Friday into Saturday).

And I can definitely help out with the screenings.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:15:32 AM by takit0 »
2023: SDCC & Fantastic Fest
2024: ...

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
matttaylordraws 11 of 10⁣ One copy only, on sale at Mondocon in three weeks. Details to follow.⁣ No DMs please.⁣

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »

Oh it did. They felt like it worked really well there at SDCC, so they are bringing it to MondoCon. You can start lining up for Saturday at midnight (Friday into Saturday).

And I can definitely help out with the screenings.

I am debating on the sleeping out thing.... I doubt I'll do it unless I can team up with someone.

[member=1425]takit0[/member]  are u on the discord? It's would help the chat during the sale

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:28:31 PM by alyssa »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »
Most likely will be 200-300 camping out so plenty to keep you company.  More interested to see how they relegate all 200+ showing up at midnight.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
Thunderdome rules - 200 enter 1 leaves!
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »
Most likely will be 200-300 camping out so plenty to keep you company.  More interested to see how they relegate all 200+ showing up at midnight.
it's kinda like... i won't know them. I prefer to camp in groups with folks i know. I understand it's wacky and chances are i'll fine someone i know but i've never been to mondo con before let alone that city.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:48:02 PM by alyssa »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
mondocon @jdombrowski has gone above and beyond yet again to create this awesome poster for #MondoCon that he’ll have for sale September 14 & 15 at The Palmer in Austin, TX. Get your tickets before it’s too late.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2019, 03:22:35 PM »
just a reminder

All of the screenings will be announced on Wednesday September 4th and will go on sale Friday September 6th at 12pm CST, with a limit of 2 tickets per person, per screening. In the interest of fairness to MondoCon attendees, the ticket pages will only be accessible via a link that is emailed out to all MondoCon ticket holders.

i may or may not be looking for some help with tix on friday ;)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »

anyone know if tix bought under someone elses account are transferable?
ie if my buddy gets tix & decides not to attend, can he give them to me?

MondoCon 2019 Screening Info!
Sep 04, 2019

Ok. ALL killer, NO filler. Screenings.

This year we have an incredible lineup of screenings being held at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar. Enough talk, let’s get to them…

Friday September 13th
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. We know, right? This year we’re kicking off MondoCon with Edgar Wright's perfect adaptation of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s brilliant SCOTT PILGRIM series: Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Come pack a theater at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar and have an awesome time with old friends as we pre-game for an incredible weekend of epic epicness.

Saturday September 14th
One of the best films of 2018 and one of the most groundbreaking comic book movies to date, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. Settle into your seat at the Alamo Drafthouse in a theater packed with Spider-Verse super fans and have an absolute blast. When it’s all said and done, and the credits roll, we’ll debut a brand new poster by Martin Ansin.

In addition to Into The Spider-Verse, we’ll also have the world premiere of the Evil Dead in 4K featuring a brilliant reimagining of the score by original composer Joseph LoDuca, and an incredible new 5.1 surround mix (by Marti Humphery and Jussi Tegelman), overseen by Sam Raimi himself.  To make the event even more spectacular, prior to the screening, Joseph LoDuca and his ensemble will be performing selections of the score live in the theater as everyone prepares to be terrified.

Sunday September 15th
Cap off your MondoCon weekend with a screening of Paul Thomas Anderson’s classic There Will Be Blood. Order yourself a milkshake and drink it down as Daniel Day-Lewis blows your mind with his incredible performance and when it’s all over, we’ll blow your mind again with a poster reveal from Joao Ruas.

As we mentioned last week, tickets will go on sale this Friday, September 6th at 12pm (CT). The private link to purchase tickets will be going out very soon to all MondoCon ticket holders.

Also a reminder that all screening attendees must have both a ticket to that screening and a MondoCon wristband for that day when they arrive at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar theater.

Keep your eyes on @MondoCon on Instagram, as we’ve already started revealing our MondoCon exclusives and more will be revealed every day up until the con. And if you have any questions, hit us up at [email protected]!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
mondonews When you want a Ghostbusters poster for #MondoCon, who you gonna call? Ghostbusters by @robertsammelin will be available at the @MondoNews booth when doors open on Saturday September 15.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »

mondocon Wristbands, parking, panels and more! Your guide to #MondoCon! Link in bio.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
fyi for those following this thread
i've decided to not attend MC- it's a combination of finances and class considerations.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
...and me
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged