Author Topic: Booking Room for 3 adults?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: Booking Room for 3 adults?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No hotel lottery.  The big rooms clear between panels, so no camping overnight for that 6pm panel the next day.  Marvel Studios doesn’t do NYCC panels anymore, so that eliminates some chaos right there.  And even though the architecture sucks, you can reserve a space in some of the big panels beforehand, so you don’t have to stress about getting in.  And if you buy a VIP badge, there is NO stress to get good seats at big panels.

I guess everything is subjective.  :)

I think there's no hotel lottery for NYCC, because the demand isn't really there.  Sure, you can reserve a room on your own at the hotel of your choice, but you really don't have to worry about vacancy, because there are so many hotels.  The downside to no hotel lottery is you ain't gettin' no discount.  You will be paying whatever they quote, and because it's NYC if you want something nice, it won't be cheap.  And if there's even a hint that there is some demand, the prices will probably go up.

This may sound crazy, but there's a part of me that kind of enjoys the excitement of the hotel lottery (crazy...right??).  The only stress for me is will I get a downtown hotel.  If I don't, I know I can always get a hotel on the shuttle route.  The plus side for us is SDCC 'negotiating' rates.  Last year, if I remember, when they finally released rooms that were still available closer to the Con date, the rates shot up.

I actually like the policy of not clearing rooms (again subjective).  It forces me to prioritize what I really want to see.  Of course, the serendipity has been sitting thru panels that weren't on my radar, and finding hidden gems.  They have absolutely made the Con more enjoyable for me.

Finally, NYCC system of reserving seats in panels is not bullet proof.  Not everybody that reserves shows up, and they don't have stand by lines.  Having said that, I wasn't able to reserve a seat for a panel I wanted to see, but I didn't let that stop me from getting in line (a flaw in the system).  When it was time to go into the room, they have someone scanning badges on a tablet.  When it was my turn, even though my badge wasn't eligible, they let me in anyway.  I don't think they wanted to be bothered.  BTW...the room never filled up.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 02:28:24 PM »
No hotel lottery.  The big rooms clear between panels, so no camping overnight for that 6pm panel the next day.  Marvel Studios doesn’t do NYCC panels anymore, so that eliminates some chaos right there.  And even though the architecture sucks, you can reserve a space in some of the big panels beforehand, so you don’t have to stress about getting in.  And if you buy a VIP badge, there is NO stress to get good seats at big panels.

VIP.  I like that idea. Thank you.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:36:28 AM »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 02:43:05 PM »
I guess everything is subjective.  :)

I think there's no hotel lottery for NYCC, because the demand isn't really there.  Sure, you can reserve a room on your own at the hotel of your choice, but you really don't have to worry about vacancy, because there are so many hotels.  The downside to no hotel lottery is you ain't gettin' no discount.  You will be paying whatever they quote, and because it's NYC if you want something nice, it won't be cheap.  And if there's even a hint that there is some demand, the prices will probably go up.

This may sound crazy, but there's a part of me that kind of enjoys the excitement of the hotel lottery (crazy...right??).  The only stress for me is will I get a downtown hotel.  If I don't, I know I can always get a hotel on the shuttle route.  The plus side for us is SDCC 'negotiating' rates.  Last year, if I remember, when they finally released rooms that were still available closer to the Con date, the rates shot up.

I actually like the policy of not clearing rooms (again subjective).  It forces me to prioritize what I really want to see.  Of course, the serendipity has been sitting thru panels that weren't on my radar, and finding hidden gems.  They have absolutely made the Con more enjoyable for me.

Finally, NYCC system of reserving seats in panels is not bullet proof.  Not everybody that reserves shows up, and they don't have stand by lines.  Having said that, I wasn't able to reserve a seat for a panel I wanted to see, but I didn't let that stop me from getting in line (a flaw in the system).  When it was time to go into the room, they have someone scanning badges on a tablet.  When it was my turn, even though my badge wasn't eligible, they let me in anyway.  I don't think they wanted to be bothered.  BTW...the room never filled up.

They do have standby lines for the Main and Empire stages.  One of those queues down in the main hall is the main state standby, the Empire Stage standby is in that main hallway outside the stage.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 07:49:33 AM »
I like NYCC and SDCC, I love that they are so different. I don't want to repeat the same con, twice in one year.

I do hate how expensive NYCC is though and I would love a hotel discount. 

However, if I have to make a choice of just one of them it will always be SDCC.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 08:20:57 AM »
The NYCC hotels through connections housing actually are discounted from those hotels then current prices.  Hotels are just expensive generally.  I try to book a room directly as soon as they become available b/c that’s usually cheapest, but even then everything was at least $300+ per night.  And I’m talking making a reservation 11 months out.

Offline NeoGreenLantern

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 08:32:35 AM »
Your room options will be Single (1 person/1 bed), Double (2 people/1 bed), Twin (2 people/2 beds), Triple (3 people/2 beds), or Quad (4 people/2 beds)

We have 3 adults 2 children. 1 is a toddler. We were hoping to share a room. Do you know how strict the they are about enforcing 4 people Quads?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 08:44:41 AM »
The kids will never need a room key so I think you would be fine. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
We have 3 adults 2 children. 1 is a toddler. We were hoping to share a room. Do you know how strict the they are about enforcing 4 people Quads?

Agree with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login , you'll be fine.  They don't check unless there's a problem, and even then they don't care.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 06:06:57 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!  It was fun reading about the comparisons to NYCC.  I am totally stressed out about SDCC but am looking forward to watching my daughter be in her zone!

Great info on the fashion show.  We'd love to be a spectator there for sure.