Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 117143 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #450 on: May 08, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »
Actress Tawny Kitaen was found dead at her home in Newport Beach yesterday afternoon (Friday).  Cause of death unknown. She had appeared in "Bachelor Party" (1984), "Witchboard" (1986), "Three of Hearts" (1993), was a regular on the syndicated sitcom "The New WKRP in Cincinnati" (1991-93) and had appeared in the two 80s Whitesnake rock music videos "Here I Go Again" and "Is it Love" (1987).  This is a picture of us taken at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2017.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #451 on: May 08, 2021, 02:01:50 PM »
Actress Tawny Kitaen was found dead at her home in Newport Beach yesterday afternoon (Friday).  Cause of death unknown. She had appeared in "Bachelor Party" (1984), "Witchboard" (1986), "Three of Hearts" (1993), was a regular on the syndicated sitcom "The New WKRP in Cincinnati" (1991-93) and had appeared in the two 80s Whitesnake rock music videos "Here I Go Again" and "Is it Love" (1987).  This is a picture of us taken at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2017.

Other trivia:
* she was married to MLB player Chuck Finley (this I knew as a life-long Cleveland Indians fan), though they divorced when Finley filed domestic assault charges against her
* she was born in San Diego
* she had an affair w/OJ Simpson while he was still married
* she's also on the album covers for Ratt's debut self-titled album as well as their "Out of the Cellar" album (she was dating the Ratt guitarist at the time)
* she guest-starred in the "Seinfeld" episode 'The Nose Job,' playing Jerry's beautiful but dim actress girlfriend

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #452 on: Today at 11:10:48 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2021, 12:14:03 PM »
RIP actor Charles Grodin: co-star of one of the best 1980's movies MIDNIGHT RUN, as well as (IMO) the funniest Muppet film THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER (which is almost as loaded with quality jokes as "The Simpsons" monorail episode).  He was also in stuff like THE HEARTBREAK KID, HEAVEN CAN WAIT, the family film BEETHOVEN, and a myriad of others.  His deadpan humor was definitely my jam, and the way he brought out De Niro's humor in MIDNIGHT RUN is outstanding: the chemistry of those two makes MIDNIGHT RUN the CASABLANCA of buddy comedies!
Grodin died of bone marrow cancer

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
Oh jeez, I just watched the Dino De Laurentiis version of “King Kong” (1976) on Blu-ray last week.
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2021, 01:22:46 PM »
RIP actor Charles Grodin: co-star of one of the best 1980's movies MIDNIGHT RUN, as well as (IMO) the funniest Muppet film THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER (which is almost as loaded with quality jokes as "The Simpsons" monorail episode).  He was also in stuff like THE HEARTBREAK KID, HEAVEN CAN WAIT, the family film BEETHOVEN, and a myriad of others.  His deadpan humor was definitely my jam, and the way he brought out De Niro's humor in MIDNIGHT RUN is outstanding: the chemistry of those two makes MIDNIGHT RUN the CASABLANCA of buddy comedies!
I saw Midnight Run in the theater (I'm an old lady).  LOVED IT!!!  Whenever I see it on network tv, I watch it, and lately they've been running it on cable.

RIP Charles Grodin!!! 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »
The original "Heartbreak Kid" is one of the funniest movies ever made. The scene between Grodin and Eddie Albert when he tells him he's married is pure gold.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2021, 05:26:58 PM »
I saw Midnight Run in the theater (I'm an old lady).  LOVED IT!!!  Whenever I see it on network tv, I watch it, and lately they've been running it on cable.

RIP Charles Grodin!!!
That film is such a legit _great_ film: director Marin Brest went from BEVERLY HILLS COP in the early 80's to MIDNIGHT RUN in the late 80's and those two films are genre-defining R-rated action films.  And what makes both of them damned-near perfect is the casting top-to-bottom from the stars to the co-stars.  With MIDNIGHT RUN the chemistry between bounty hunter De Niro and his criminal Grodin (an accountant who embezzled money from the mob & donated a lot of it to charity while slipping bail after getting caught) is so freaking solid!  Not only do you have those to juggernauts, but the film also starred:
* Yaphet Koto (from ALIEN) as an FBI agent trying to bring Grodin's character in on Federal charges
* John Ashton (Taggert, the older cop from BEVERLY HILLS COP) as a rival bounty hunter
* Dennis Farina (from GET SHORTY, MANHUNTER, and a slew of other cop/mob movies) as the Chicago mob boss out to assassinate Grodin
* Joey Pantoliano (Cypher from THE MATRIX, Ralph from "The Sopranos" among a TON of amazing roles) as the bail bondsman who hires De Niro

It's almost a murderer's row of incredible character actors!  MIDNIGHT RUN is a film that if I see it playing somewhere (especially on cable, where the R-rated buddy comedy/action film doesn't lose its edge) I will absolutely drop what I'm doing and watch it the rest of the way, regardless of where the film is!

Sorry; I too saw MIDNIGHT RUN in theaters back when I was in middle school and I've always loved that film that brings the action set-pieces, comedy, and legit drama (for ex, De Niro coming to terms with his ex-wife and teenage daughter whom he left).  Such a great film: the type of film they don't make so much anymore

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #457 on: May 20, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »

Writer and former editor David Anthony Kraft shaped the Marvel Universe through his stories, bringing life to characters like She-Hulk, the Defenders and so many others with a passion for music that transcended the world of comics. Our thoughts are with his family & loved ones.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #458 on: May 28, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2021, 08:02:30 AM »

Did you ever watch "11 Harrowhouse" , it's one of my favorite films
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
That film is such a legit _great_ film: director Marin Brest went from BEVERLY HILLS COP in the early 80's to MIDNIGHT RUN in the late 80's and those two films are genre-defining R-rated action films.  And what makes both of them damned-near perfect is the casting top-to-bottom from the stars to the co-stars.  With MIDNIGHT RUN the chemistry between bounty hunter De Niro and his criminal Grodin (an accountant who embezzled money from the mob & donated a lot of it to charity while slipping bail after getting caught) is so freaking solid!  Not only do you have those to juggernauts, but the film also starred:
* Yaphet Koto (from ALIEN) as an FBI agent trying to bring Grodin's character in on Federal charges
* John Ashton (Taggert, the older cop from BEVERLY HILLS COP) as a rival bounty hunter
* Dennis Farina (from GET SHORTY, MANHUNTER, and a slew of other cop/mob movies) as the Chicago mob boss out to assassinate Grodin
* Joey Pantoliano (Cypher from THE MATRIX, Ralph from "The Sopranos" among a TON of amazing roles) as the bail bondsman who hires De Niro

It's almost a murderer's row of incredible character actors!  MIDNIGHT RUN is a film that if I see it playing somewhere (especially on cable, where the R-rated buddy comedy/action film doesn't lose its edge) I will absolutely drop what I'm doing and watch it the rest of the way, regardless of where the film is!

Sorry; I too saw MIDNIGHT RUN in theaters back when I was in middle school and I've always loved that film that brings the action set-pieces, comedy, and legit drama (for ex, De Niro coming to terms with his ex-wife and teenage daughter whom he left).  Such a great film: the type of film they don't make so much anymore

and a great Danny Elfman soundtrack too
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #461 on: June 08, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
and a great Danny Elfman soundtrack too
YES!  It really is a wonderful score: kinda atypical of what most people think of Danny Elfman style with the bluesy guitar & horns!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2021, 11:44:57 PM »
sdcomicfest We regret to inform you that our dear friend Gene Henderson has passed away at age 88.

Gene Henderson was one of a handful of people left in this world who had attended every single San Diego Comic-Con since the very beginning. His contributions to the world of comics were felt over the course of half a decade. Gene served on Comic-Con's Board of Directors for over 20 years. He helped create the Russ Manning Award and helped to start the Orange County Science Fiction and Fantasy Art Show.

In 2017 San Diego Comic Fest was proud to have Gene Henderson as our Fan Guest of Honor. He was a beloved member of the comic community and he will be missed.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #463 on: June 21, 2021, 05:30:27 PM »
Joanne Linville.

She played a Romulan commander in “Star Trek" (TOS)

Phasers on Stun!!!

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #464 on: July 05, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
Film Director Richard Donner, who got his big break with "The Omen" (1976), then went on to direct Mario Puzo's "Superman" (1978) with Christopher Reeve, as well as "The Toy" (1982) with Richard Pryor, then Steven Spielberg's "The Goonies" (1985), the "Lethal Weapon" franchise (1987-98) with Mel Gibson, "Conspiracy Theory" (1997), also with Gibson and "16 Blocks" (2006) with Bruce Willis, passed away today.  He was 91.  This is a pic I took of him posing with a fan at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood in 2013 after a showing and Q&A of "The Omen."

D23 Expo 2017