Author Topic: Have you booked your Hotel/apt?  (Read 30575 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Have you booked your Hotel/apt?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:19 AM »
As for me, I'm live in San Diego (actually I'm closer to the La Jolla area, near UCSD), so I'll be commuting by bus and trolley to get to the convention center.  I'm approximately 13 miles away, so depending on the day--either weekday or weekend--I could be looking at a commute as short as 30 minutes or as long as an hour and a half.  >__<  By car, it's about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on traffic.

I wonder if any locals want to carpool and chip in for gas and/or parking... ^_^;

Just in case, you're wondering about some of the local hotel locations around the San Diego Convention Center:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:49:03 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
I booked our  condo (two blocks from the Hall A side of the center) in early August 2011.  :D In the ten years that I have been attending, it has been the best experience for me when I have been able to stay in the Gaslamp/Convention Center area:  2005 (Manchester Grand Hyatt), 2006 (Horton Grand), 2009 ( Marriott Marquis & Marina--it was like hitting the lottery when were were able to book two rooms there); and 2011 (private row home which I booked in January 2011). All the hotels were through Travel Planners. For 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2010, we were stuck with hotels/motels at least five miles away. Those were certainly more economical; however, I far prefer the advantages of being within walking distance. ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:03:48 AM »

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
I booked our  condo (two blocks from the Hall A side of the center) in early August 2011.  :D In the ten years that I have been attending, it has been the best experience for me when I have been able to stay in the Gaslamp/Convention Center area:  2005 (Manchester Grand Hyatt), 2006 (Horton Grand), 2009 ( Marriott Marquis & Marina--it was like hitting the lottery when were were able to book two rooms there); and 2011 (private row home which I booked in January 2011). All the hotels were through Travel Planners. For 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2010, we were stuck with hotels/motels at least five miles away. Those were certainly more economical; however, I far prefer the advantages of being within walking distance. ;)

Completely agree with this statement, if you can pull it off. In 2010 due to a snafu with my hotel booking, I ended up staying at the Doubletree about 10 blocks from the convention center and that walk was brutal. Being close by and easy to get back to your room to drop stuff off, take a nap, or just decompress for a bit is awesome. As long as I can afford it and pull it off, I'll stay close in. I've been at the Hyatt every year so far -- last year I tried for both of the hiltons and the marriott before the hyatt, but ended up at the hyatt anyway -- can't complain about that. Would love to stay at the Hard Rock, but the room prices are insane as I think that's where a lot of the celebs stay.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Celebs aren't necessarily at the Hard Rock. In 2010 I ran into the Barenaked Ladies at the Hilton Bayfront, and the cast of V at the Marriott Marquis.

Last year staying at the Hilton Bayfront we ran into Johnny Galecki 3 times, and at dinner in the main restaurant Joss Whedon was at the next table.

Offline Voluptuous Donuts

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 05:02:45 AM »
 :o
I have indeed. Made sure I had it last month. Downtown, about three blocks from the Con.

Offline Spiderdan

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »
Booked my airfare and hotel wwaayyyyy back in August 2011, as soon as the travel sites had the dates available.  I'm about a mile and a half from the con, but there are bus/trolley/shuttle (last year) stops close by.  I don't know the exact breakdown but I know I got an awesome deal, especially since it would cost me almost double what I paid for the package to get a room now!  All I will say is make sure to confirm your reservations every month to ensure no issues occur!

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Booked my place in Chula Vista about a month or so ago. It's only a 15 minute drive to the convention center.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
I booked a stand by just in case, but hoping for something better through travel planners.

Offline newbie12

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
First let me saw how much I appreciate this site! Thank you!

I haven't booked a room yet as I am really undecided as to what area to stay in.
I'm going with hubby and son so I want somewhere quiet. We don't need the nightlife but I don't know what to think about the driving/parking situation either. I have no issues driving but if we're going to end up in a traffic jam for ages coming and going, it might well be better time spent on trolley/shuttle.
We normally stay in the hotel circle area when we're in San Diego but it can be a pain to get around if it's busy. We don't mind staying further out if driving is a viable option.
Also, is it better to come in from the south or north, or does it even matter?

I appreciate any feedback y'all can offer. We are soooo looking forward to going as we've wanted to go for years but couldn't get our schedules aligned.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »

I haven't booked a room yet as I am really undecided as to what area to stay in.
I'm going with hubby and son so I want somewhere quiet. We don't need the nightlife but I don't know what to think about the driving/parking situation either. I have no issues driving but if we're going to end up in a traffic jam for ages coming and going, it might well be better time spent on trolley/shuttle.
We normally stay in the hotel circle area when we're in San Diego but it can be a pain to get around if it's busy. We don't mind staying further out if driving is a viable option.

I appreciate any feedback y'all can offer. We are soooo looking forward to going as we've wanted to go for years but couldn't get our schedules aligned.

You might look at the hotel Del Coronado You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Coronado Island is pretty quiet, fairly close to the con and there is a water taxi from the dock (about a 20 min walk from the Hotel) straight to the convention center, or you could cab it for not very much. Plus the hotel is a great resort and on the beach. The island and hotel have some decent places to eat and there's still availability there.

Offline anime23

• Sails Pavilion
    • The Nerd Element
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »
I always end up staying with my sister in Chula Vista and driving in and just parking but I figured I would get a hotel this time because I have some people coming with me. Last year and the year before when I was looking at hotels it was after they went on sale and I just brought one up that interested me and even put a deposit down on one before i changed my mind. So when people keep saying the process is a bit unfair I Am not sure what they mean. I am guessing it doesn't work like this when they go on sale?
SDCC, WC, SWCA, Comikaze, D23, Paleyfest, E3 hopefully Vidcon soon
@thenerdelement
@TNE_DCTVPodcast
@TNE_MarvelTV
@TNE_Travel

Offline Ab3tt3r2morrow

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »
Great to read all the goings-on from everybody. And many thanks for making this discussion board possible ^_^ This is my first time back to Comic-Con in a decade.

So I booked my stay already at Town & Country Resort off of Hotel Circle North from the wednesday through monday.

First  time staying there.

I understand as well that there's complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to the convention center.

However, my good friend cautions me saying that from his previous stays at Town & Country Resort that one needs to take a tram from this particular hotel to the shuttle service spot.

I don't mind so much, but  should that be something I would anticipate having to do to get to to avail of the shuttle service?  :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »

it really depends on your style of con going.  for me & my son, we're up early & at the con by 6am so driving/parking isn't an issue.
I gather driving/parking later on is an issue.
If your style is more layed back with later arrival times, consider parking at qualcom & taking the trolley in.  the trolley will cost $15/person for the weekend and parking is free.  qualcom is north west of the city so you can get a room a little more out of the way.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
I always end up staying with my sister in Chula Vista and driving in and just parking but I figured I would get a hotel this time because I have some people coming with me. Last year and the year before when I was looking at hotels it was after they went on sale and I just brought one up that interested me and even put a deposit down on one before i changed my mind. So when people keep saying the process is a bit unfair I Am not sure what they mean. I am guessing it doesn't work like this when they go on sale?

i think what they are talking about is supply 7 demand.  more people want the hotels close to the con then are rooms for them.  apparently the requests are time stamped and given out first come first served.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:28 AM »
<snip>
I understand as well that there's complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to the convention center.

However, my good friend cautions me saying that from his previous stays at Town & Country Resort that one needs to take a tram from this particular hotel to the shuttle service spot.

I don't mind so much, but  should that be something I would anticipate having to do to get to to avail of the shuttle service?  :)

Good point- yeah given a choice between the shuttle service or the trolley, i'd take the trolley- but i've never taken the shuttle's- i've just seen the amt of people trying to get on them just after the con closed-
the other advantage of the t&c is that's where the badge pick up is on Wed.