Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 26298 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
From Member ID, Volunteering tab:

Comic-Con 2020 Volunteer Registration

A big thanks to all of the volunteers for making Comic-Con 2019 a success!

Comic-Con 2020 Interest List registration will open in September 2019. Be sure to keep an eye on our social media for important updates!

For more information about the Comic-Con volunteer program, please visit the Comic-Con Volunteers page.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Comic-Con Volunteer Program

The Comic-Con 2020 volunteer program will open in the fall. Please check our social media sites regularly for important volunteer registration updates.

To register as a volunteer for Comic-Con, you must be on the Volunteer Priority List or the Volunteer Interest List. The Volunteer Priority List is comprised of returning volunteers who completed at least one volunteer assignment at Comic-Con the year prior.

If you are interested in volunteering for Comic-Con 2020, you will have the opportunity to sign up for the Volunteer Interest List shortly after Comic-Con 2019. If you are already on the Volunteer Priority List, you do not need to sign up for the Volunteer Interest List when it becomes available. The Interest List is limited and does not guarantee admission into the volunteer program. Please check this page regularly for updates on the Comic-Con 2020 volunteer program as they become available.   

There will be another opportunity available for you to volunteer at WonderCon Anaheim 2020 (April 10 - 12, 2020)! Information regarding volunteer opportunities at WonderCon Anaheim 2020 will be available on the WonderCon Anaheim Volunteers page, and on our social media sites, in early 2020. Watch for it!

We thank ALL of our volunteers – past, present, and future – for their help and enthusiasm in making Comic-Con and WonderCon Anaheim great experiences for all!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:21:07 PM by Angology »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:08:35 AM »
Comic-Con 2020 Interest List registration will open in September 2019.

Member ID Notices Updated September 5, 2019

Comic-Con 2020 Volunteer Registration

A big thanks to all of the volunteers for making Comic-Con 2019 a success!

Comic-Con 2020 Interest List registration will open in September 2019. Be sure to keep an eye on our social media for important updates!

For more information about the Comic-Con volunteer program, please visit the Comic-Con Volunteers page

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:10:47 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
Hmmmm...

W A R N I N G !
Member ID Closing for Routine Scheduled Maintenance
The Member ID system will go offline beginning at 10:00AM Pacific Daylight Time today for some routine scheduled maintenance. Please exit the system by that time.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »
Question: if I volunteered in 2019 (which I did), should there be an indication that I'm on the 2020 Volunteer Priority List under the Volunteer tab of my CCI account? I can't remember previous years but I thought it had been indicated under my Member ID registration info in the past.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
Question: if I volunteered in 2019 (which I did), should there be an indication that I'm on the 2020 Volunteer Priority List under the Volunteer tab of my CCI account? I can't remember previous years but I thought it had been indicated under my Member ID registration info in the past.

The tab (and your checkmark for Priority) will update when CCI announces the opening of the 2020 Interest List (for first timers).

Last year the tab updated on Sept 20th.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
The tab (and your checkmark for Priority) will update when CCI announces the opening of the 2020 Interest List (for first timers).

Last year the tab updated on Sept 20th.
Thanks Sam. I asked because this year's volunteer gig was a little weird. I was holding a sign directing folks to the blood drive but no 'supe ever came to relieve me after my shift was up. When I finally went back to the room after 30 minutes had passed, they were very nonchalant about it and said that I should have just left after my three hours was up (I felt really bad for leaving my post after 3-1/2 because it was busy!). And, no-one checked me off a list or anything. Contrast that with 2018 when my shift supervisor was present for a good part of my shift, relieved me promptly when I was done and also thanked me + made a point of telling me she was recommending me for next year because I'd done a good job.

So I was (maybe still am) a bit worried my shift didn't get recorded and/or get the supervisor's thumbs up for next year. Probably worried about nothing, but that's just how I am  ;)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
So I was (maybe still am) a bit worried my shift didn't get recorded and/or get the supervisor's thumbs up for next year. Probably worried about nothing, but that's just how I am  ;)

A friend in our group volunteered 4 days last year and DID NOT get the Priority Registration status.  When we told him that we had signed up in the October Priority Registration period, that's when he noticed the omission in Member ID and that he got no registration email. After resigning himself for missing registration and thinking he had missed his chance to Volunteer, he finally contacted the Volunteer Department, weeks late,r and got reinstated for 2019, luckily.

Yes, it does happen, and once the Interest List begins, that's when to double check Member ID and get your Priority Checkmark!  I didn't volunteer last year, after having Priority the last few years, and am looking to re-up myself.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 06:44:26 PM »
A friend in our group volunteered 4 days last year and DID NOT get the Priority Registration status.  When we told him that we had signed up in the October Priority Registration period, that's when he noticed the omission in Member ID and that he got no registration email. After resigning himself for missing registration and thinking he had missed his chance to Volunteer, he finally contacted the Volunteer Department, weeks late,r and got reinstated for 2019, luckily.

Yes, it does happen, and once the Interest List begins, that's when to double check Member ID and get your Priority Checkmark!  I didn't volunteer last year, after having Priority the last few years, and am looking to re-up myself.

Thanks for that info, Sam! I will definitely be on the lookout later this month and verify that my Returning Volunteer status is correct. I do still have my Volunteer badge AND my t-shirt as proof.  ;)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »
Thanks Sam. I asked because this year's volunteer gig was a little weird. I was holding a sign directing folks to the blood drive but no 'supe ever came to relieve me after my shift was up. When I finally went back to the room after 30 minutes had passed, they were very nonchalant about it and said that I should have just left after my three hours was up (I felt really bad for leaving my post after 3-1/2 because it was busy!). And, no-one checked me off a list or anything. Contrast that with 2018 when my shift supervisor was present for a good part of my shift, relieved me promptly when I was done and also thanked me + made a point of telling me she was recommending me for next year because I'd done a good job.

That's not good.  Do you still have your C card then?  That's what a supe should take from you and sign to verify that you did your shift.  Did they at last take it when you went back to volunteer HQ?

It's not unheard of that people don't get their C cards turned in.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you are probably OK.  Since you should only be able to get a t-shirt after you've done at least one shift.  That is unless you are doing one of the last shifts, then they give you the t-shirt sticker when you check in.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »
That's not good.  Do you still have your C card then?  That's what a supe should take from you and sign to verify that you did your shift.  Did they at last take it when you went back to volunteer HQ?

It's not unheard of that people don't get their C cards turned in.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you are probably OK.  Since you should only be able to get a t-shirt after you've done at least one shift.  That is unless you are doing one of the last shifts, then they give you the t-shirt sticker when you check in.
So I pulled out my Volunteer badge from this year (yeah, I keep them - the ones from WonderCon, too!) and the only thing in the badge holder was the paper volunteer badge itself. Also the Volunteer On Duty sticker still stuck to the badge holder. I had no C-card or t-shirt sticker/card in there. To be extra certain, I also checked my regular badge holder and every pocket in my Con Survival bag. No C card.

Thinking back, I'm now *kind-of* remembering that after we were separated into two groups (those that would stay in the Premium room and those that would go hold signs outside) - I sort of remember being told to turn in our cards to the gal sitting by the lockers before we headed out to our stations. She did have a check list with our names on it so maybe she signed the cards right after we left. When I came back to the room after no one relieved me I didn't think about the C-card. I was more concerned about having to leave a busy post and said as much. Then I grabbed my t-shirt and went on with my day...   

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
So I pulled out my Volunteer badge from this year (yeah, I keep them - the ones from WonderCon, too!) and the only thing in the badge holder was the paper volunteer badge itself. Also the Volunteer On Duty sticker still stuck to the badge holder. I had no C-card or t-shirt sticker/card in there. To be extra certain, I also checked my regular badge holder and every pocket in my Con Survival bag. No C card.

Thinking back, I'm now *kind-of* remembering that after we were separated into two groups (those that would stay in the Premium room and those that would go hold signs outside) - I sort of remember being told to turn in our cards to the gal sitting by the lockers before we headed out to our stations. She did have a check list with our names on it so maybe she signed the cards right after we left. When I came back to the room after no one relieved me I didn't think about the C-card. I was more concerned about having to leave a busy post and said as much. Then I grabbed my t-shirt and went on with my day...

You should be good then.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you should be good.  Since they only hand out the t-shirt sticker once the computer says you've done a shift.  Unless it's as previously noted.

It really depends on the supe, some of them take c cards right away.  Others wait until the end of the shift.  All that matters is they have your c card and turn it in to volunteer HQ.  Regardless, someone should have come around and released you.  That's only polite.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »
You should be good then.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you should be good.  Since they only hand out the t-shirt sticker once the computer says you've done a shift.  Unless it's as previously noted.

It really depends on the supe, some of them take c cards right away.  Others wait until the end of the shift.  All that matters is they have your c card and turn it in to volunteer HQ.  Regardless, someone should have come around and released you.  That's only polite.
Thanks. This was a 9am-noon shift, not later in the day, so it sounds like I’m good. In any case I’ll be double-checking my status once the interest list opens up. Thanks for your input!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »

That’s not totally true. I went to get the t-shirt sticker on Sunday after the con closed. I showed my volunteer badge at the entrance to the Volunteer room at MMM, and they just pasted my sticker on. They didn’t do any check.

So at least in my case, I can’t be 100% certain my shift got logged. But I am mostly certain since I did hand my C card to an official along with a bunch of other volunteers.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 10:23:23 PM »
That’s not totally true. I went to get the t-shirt sticker on Sunday after the con closed. I showed my volunteer badge at the entrance to the Volunteer room at MMM, and they just pasted my sticker on. They didn’t do any check.

So at least in my case, I can’t be 100% certain my shift got logged. But I am mostly certain since I did hand my C card to an official along with a bunch of other volunteers.

That's what I meant when I said "Unless it's as previously noted."  What I said before was "That is unless you are doing one of the last shifts, then they give you the t-shirt sticker when you check in."  If you are doing one of the last shifts, you can't go back to volunteer HQ because it'll be close by the time you finish your shift.  For the same reason, they gave you your sticker when you showed up that late.  Since by then, they had broken down the computers and there was no way they could check you.

I still wouldn't worry about it.  Like I said, c cards not being turned in is not unheard of.  I think they err on the side of trusting that you did finish your shift after checking in instead of assuming you ran off.  If people running off was a problem, the supes that take c cards at the beginning of a shift wouldn't do that.  Since nothing would keep you from running off.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:28:36 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
Got an email earlier today about returning volunteer registration.  Its happening on 9/23/19 at 1 PM EST.