Author Topic: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 50335 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
Please use this thread for discussion of Comic-Con 2016's general badge sale.

Thank you!  ^__^d
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:25:36 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline ArtWar

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
yes! sadly i can't participate in the pre registration because 2016 is hopefully my first time there!

u guys know when i can expect the registration for this formed groups?! just that i know when i should care about it!
try to be well prepared.

also with flights and stuff...
already have restless nights for an event that will happen in 1 year
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:17:10 PM by Zero »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:02:56 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »
prep is the best offense

my complete guess is that gen reg will happen in early 2016

There's a 'how to' thread for '16 which has the basis steps- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
  • Nothing lasts forever...
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »
I too am hoping to go to SDCC for the first time this year! That how to thread is very helpful thank you for posting it :)
"Thank you for your cooperation"

Offline bettiebloodshed

• Gaming Lounge
    • My cosplay page!
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
I'll probably be going for this since I'm up for verification for press. I'd rather not assume I'm going to get it, not get it, and have no tickets. So always better to have a backup!
Owner of When Nerds Attack .com

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll probably be going for this since I'm up for verification for press. I'd rather not assume I'm going to get it, not get it, and have no tickets. So always better to have a backup!

Definitely true. We're happy to help, Bettie!

Offline hardliner

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Is it too early to see about joining a buying group?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »
Is it too early to see about joining a buying group?

For open registration, yes. We're going to get through pre-registration before we start worrying about open registration. Besides the issue of having multiple sales events, we also need to know the results of pre-registration, so we know which of those people will be participating in open registration.

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
For open registration, yes. We're going to get through pre-registration before we start worrying about open registration. Besides the issue of having multiple sales events, we also need to know the results of pre-registration, so we know which of those people will be participating in open registration.

I was wondering the same thing so thank you for the answer! About when can we expect the groups for open registration to start forming? And how exactly does the group thing work?

Thanks in advance!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »
I believe we'll start forming groups for gen-reg mid-nov.  That's up to the group leader of the groups TJ tho....lol

In general & i'm sure tj will add a great many details but basically a group usually consists of 30-50 people.  If someone get in to the buying room they buy for themselves & others on the list. 

there's a great many variations, due to folks also buying for family/friends, priority of buying etc.  All of those details are left up to the group leader.  I do highly recommend taking care of the group leader first since without him/her the group would not be in existence.

i suspect we'll be forming new groups due to the current 5-6 groups being close to capacity. We are always on the lookout for new group leaders! 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »
I believe we'll start forming groups for gen-reg mid-nov.  That's up to the group leader of the groups TJ tho....lol

In general & i'm sure tj will add a great many details but basically a group usually consists of 30-50 people.  If someone get in to the buying room they buy for themselves & others on the list. 

there's a great many variations, due to folks also buying for family/friends, priority of buying etc.  All of those details are left up to the group leader.  I do highly recommend taking care of the group leader first since without him/her the group would not be in existence.

i suspect we'll be forming new groups due to the current 5-6 groups being close to capacity. We are always on the lookout for new group leaders!

Wow 30-50 people per group!? That has to be pretty expensive to buy for everyone. But I'd imagine each leader has a system of some sort. Cool!

Thank you for the info  :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »
Okay, just to be clear, you are not expected to buy 30-50 badges!

Anyone who is selected in the badge-buying lottery is allowed to buy 3 badges. This means that people may have 'extra buying slots'. If this happens, they will buy for someone else in the group.

If someone gets to the front of the line before you do and buys you a badge, you will still stay in the sale, and then if you end up at the buying screen, you can buy for 3 more people in the group who do not yet have badges. So at most you would be buying 3 badges for others. Those people would pay you pretty quickly, usually via Paypal.

Each *group* has 30-50 people (depends on the group leader and how many they feel they can handle). That means 30-50 people trying to get buying slots. If 1/3 of those people make it into the buying room, then everyone has badges.

For sure we will wait until after pre-registration to form groups for open registration. Shortly after pre-registration, I will contact the group leaders and see if they're willing to continue their groups, or find new leaders if they have to relinquish their duties. At that point, we'll figure out if any of the groups have extra space, and if not, call for volunteers to start a new group.

However, if there is anyone here now who is eager for open registration who wants to start a new group, please let me know. We provide help behind the scenes to give you advice and assist you in setup of the group. We can open your group for new members once pre-registration is over.

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up! I knew there was a limit on how many badges any one person could buy, just didn't know the specific number.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up! I knew there was a limit on how many badges any one person could buy, just didn't know the specific number.

I should clarify that it has been 3 badges per person for the past few sales, but CCI is able to change this at any time. I have seen it as low as 2 and as high as 6 in the past. Presumably CCI has 'settled' on 3, but there's no guarantee of this until CCI announces the rules for each specific sale.

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
I should clarify that it has been 3 badges per person for the past few sales, but CCI is able to change this at any time. I have seen it as low as 2 and as high as 6 in the past. Presumably CCI has 'settled' on 3, but there's no guarantee of this until CCI announces the rules for each specific sale.

I gotcha. Thank you :)