Author Topic: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 50332 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok people, we all have our opinions...  lol  Do we really think they care that much about scalping? In my experience over the past 5 years I have seen hundreds of badges scalped on ebay, i have seen the listings on craigslist. They may wonder on to these sites and keep a few people honest and they may even care about it, however they do not have the time or resources to control scalping. What makes anyone think that they will suddenly start checking id's at the convention center? They have never in the past.

Think of it this way... if they had 10 people checking id's at hall E for the general line, it would take hours to get everyone in the building each day. Think of last year badge pick up... how many people are in there helping us at the counter in the sail pavilion? At least 70-100? On Wednesday for preview night only 15k people are supposed to get in and it still takes about an hour or so to get us all in the building. Now triple that each day and reduce the number of people checking badges to 25. Ouch... forget it, they can't do it.

The RFID chip is a great idea, it rids them of the counterfit badge. Yes, people are going to sell more badges, but they will be real badges. I think they are willing to sacrifice some scalping for this benefit. It was happening anyway.

IIRC, both RP & CCI management say, the biggest problem is not scalping but Scalping & Forging.  So in theory, adding the rfid will prevent forging.  the problem comes when a scalper sells a forged badge knowing it will not pass the tap in/out test.  To my mind this is the biggest 'scare' to use for people considering buying from a scalper.

There is virtually nothing cci or rp can do abt the ebay listings posted, they do try.

CCI has ***always*** done spot checks of ID's at the con and they will continue to do ID checks.  It will happen, of this I am certain.  I also think there will be ID checks at key points- perhaps not at 6am when they're letting folks into the building....but probably at bag/book pick up, etc 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline trekster

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »
IIRC, both RP & CCI management say, the biggest problem is not scalping but Scalping & Forging.  So in theory, adding the rfid will prevent forging.  the problem comes when a scalper sells a forged badge knowing it will not pass the tap in/out test.  To my mind this is the biggest 'scare' to use for people considering buying from a scalper.

There is virtually nothing cci or rp can do abt the ebay listings posted, they do try.

CCI has ***always*** done spot checks of ID's at the con and they will continue to do ID checks.  It will happen, of this I am certain.  I also think there will be ID checks at key points- perhaps not at 6am when they're letting folks into the building....but probably at bag/book pick up, etc
I'm drawing a blank right now on who "RP" is, but I agree there will be some sort of ID check, although likely not 100% as in the past.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #437 on: Today at 04:18:06 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
I'm drawing a blank right now on who "RP" is, but I agree there will be some sort of ID check, although likely not 100% as in the past.
sry, RP= Reed Pop, they put on NYCC, C2E2, SWC etc

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
I *think* after all of these years, I understand how CCI thinks. They appear to be more reactive than proactive; at least, that's how they have historically behaved. When issues come up, they're always surprised, as if they didn't anticipate what was going to happen. If we work on that assumption, then here's my best guess as to their thinking.

CCI Person #1: We have some issues with scalped badges, but the vast majority of these badges are fake. People just get a color photocopier and some high quality paper and turn one legit badge into hundreds of fake ones. This causes overcrowding of the convention center and longer lines for everyone. We need to combat this.

CCI Person #2: What about those new RFID badges? Other cons use them, so they're tested technology. With RFID chips inside, it's nearly impossible to fake a badge. People with counterfeit badges will be discovered at a tap-in point, and then they won't get into the convention center.

CCI Person #3: But what about people reselling legit badges?

CCI Person #2: There are so few of these people that they won't make much of an impact. We'll be getting rid of the vast majority of badge re-sellers.

So in other words, I think that they are looking at the *current* level of scalping of legit badges. They simply do not anticipate/understand how scalpers will change their tactics. They may see some of that impact this year, or next year. At that point, then they will take action to stop it (such as going back to on-site badge pickup with ID checks). But it will be a while.

The best thing we can do is to make them aware of the situation. Going to Talkback or otherwise contacting CCI and explaining how scalpers think, and how they will shift to accommodate the new rules, is a good way to show them what they will likely be facing. IME, CCI *wants* to do the right thing, but they don't usually anticipate, only react.

Offline trekster

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »
sry, RP= Reed Pop, they put on NYCC, C2E2, SWC etc
Oh yeah, I knew that, thanks!.  More coffee...

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #440 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
Looking forward to experiencing what may be a good test run of the RFID procedures, at WonderCon. Granted, it's smaller than the big show - and will be a choice opportunity to expand on what worked well and what didn't work so well before July. WonderCon usually has a Talk Back panel, right? Would be a great chance to provide feedback on the experience. 8)

"This year, WonderCon will be utilizing RFID badges, so you will be required to tap in and tap out at various locations. More on our RFID badges in a Toucan Tip next week! (Please note: we will NOT be mailing WonderCon 2016 badges out in advance; all badges must be picked up onsite.)"

Hoping that the RFID procedures don't add too much to the "line con" come July.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #441 on: February 27, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
Hmmmm, maybe CCI should just create a highly advanced artificial intelligence to do the ID checking. Think about it! For example, it could it use a pool of data from this year to develop a tactic to check IDs that is efficient for 2017. They could name the AI, ConNet. ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:26:27 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #442 on: February 27, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »
Hmmmm, maybe CCI should just create a highly advanced artificial intelligence to do the ID checking. Think about it! For example, it could it use a pool of data from this year to develop a tactic to check IDs that is efficient for 2017. They could name the AI, ConNet. ;)

Facial recognition software, mapping each attendee to a member ID...

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #443 on: February 27, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
CCI has ***always*** done spot checks of ID's at the con and they will continue to do ID checks.

Has this ever actually happened to anyone? I know they say they do it but 2016 will be my 9th year attending and I've never been ID checked. I've never even seen it happen nor do I know anyone it's happened to.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
I have seen cci pulling folks over & talking to them- intensely- i have to think a id check was involved.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #445 on: February 27, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »

Has this ever actually happened to anyone? I know they say they do it but 2016 will be my 9th year attending and I've never been ID checked. I've never even seen it happen nor do I know anyone it's happened to.

It happened to me a few years ago. It wasn't an ID check, but they were carefully scrutinizing badges of people going into the exhibit hall on Saturday afternoon (when it was super packed). I always hide my name on the front of my badge, and they made me pull my badge out of the holder and take off the paper covering up my name. Then they checked the badge under a special light to see if it had the embedded hologram. Then they let me cover my name up again and go through.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
#IGotCardedAtComicCon O0

#RFIDFTW

Trending in July 8)

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #447 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
In reference to the $1000 badge line of conversation, I just have to say that it won't happen, whether Comic Con continues to adhere to it's non-profit mission or not.  Badges aren't the only product that CCI is trying to sell in order to bring in revenue.  The other product they are selling is US, to all of the studios and companies that buy floor space and advertising from them.  Dramatically raising tickets prices to the market ceiling (which is WELL ABOVE $1000/ticket) would make the comic con attendee demographic WAY the heck less desirable to those companies.

Offline sirbob5

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »

I did not see any in 2015, but did in 2014.  One entry door right before the dealers room opened on Friday had security checking badges and ID's.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #449 on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
The more and more tech dependent this badge thing becomes, the more I think of situations like in the movie Gattaca.  More technology, which those who really want to, will find a way to get around.  And that will not be me...
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia