Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63587 times)

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2020, 10:10:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thing I’ve been curious about over the past few days is if toy manufacturers will still be offering SDCC exclusives (perhaps through the portal) even if there isn’t an SDCC.  Point-of-sale would be online, and products would ship to homes in US addresses.

Most of you know me as an avid collector, but I hope this isn’t the case.  The toys don’t mean a thing without the memories.

I'm sure they'll still be offering the exclusives they made for SDCC through online sales if SDCC doesn't go on, I know several of them did this for ECCC and plan to do this for the Wondercon exclusives as well.  The only way I can personally see them being offered in the portal is if they delay announcing a cancellation until June time frame.  Totally agree on your opinion though the exclusives mean a lot less when you don't have that memory attached to it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
One thing I’ve been curious about over the past few days is if toy manufacturers will still be offering SDCC exclusives (perhaps through the portal) even if there isn’t an SDCC.  Point-of-sale would be online, and products would ship to homes in US addresses.

Most of you know me as an avid collector, but I hope this isn’t the case.  The toys don’t mean a thing without the memories.

They do this ever year to sell off stuff that doesn't sell out at comic-con.  Some companies may even hold back stock since I've seen things completely sold out at comic-con but then a week later they available on a company's website.

The people who didn't score an SDCC badge would be very happy.

They could work with CCI to have a first round of selling only for comic-con badge holders.  If they wanted to, they could still have the lottery.  I don't know if it would be worth the effort for all parties involved.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #392 on: Today at 08:02:31 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
I can't fault them for reserving the right to wait until June to make a decision as so much could change (for the better or for the worse) by then. I guess it's also a risk that we take when we buy badges knowing nothing about the schedule. But regardless, I'm not going to participate in Hotelpocalypse because I don't think there's much value in any of the three scenarios:

A) SDCC gets canceled/postponed. In this case, hotels will be refunded.

B) We get some semblance of SDCC but it's not the usual. Demand will be drastically reduced. In this case, those who book at hotelpocalypse prices with a non-refundable deposit will get shafted, since plenty of hotels will be available for much cheaper closer to the show.

C) Everything gets cleared up and we get a real SDCC. Even then, I don't expect it to be too difficult to get a hotel closer to the show at average prices. Last year it was possible without too much difficulty...and this year it will be easier because even if it goes back to normal, some things will have changed permanently. More people are afraid of large crowds. Less money to go around. Plans that have dropped due to uncertainty may not be able to be picked back up by the time SDCC officially announces it's on. As you can see from the poll...about 1/3 of us aren't keen on going, and we're the diehards.
I agree; we're literally 4-months away (slightly less, since 4 months from today would be Sat. Comic-Con) and who knows what this situation will be like.  I've been teetering back & forth between 'they won't cancel' and 'they'll probably cancel.'  The public sentiment in the Union Tribune this week gives me hope that this event will still occur, and I'm more optimistic at this time.  I honestly think that in 4 months we'll be READY to celebrate the end of this pandemic; we'll be in NEED of a release.  The comics industry is in a tail spin right now, with Diamond suspending distribution and comic shops hanging by an incredibly thin thread.  Film & TV productions are on hold, even with films that ended principal photography months ago.  BLACK WIDOW ended principal photography in October 2019, but because studios tweak CGI FX unit the last moment (or post-theatrical opening, as was the case with CATS) BLACK WIDOW still had to postpone its May release.  Same with TV shows, with "The Walking Dead" unable to finish production on an episode a little over two weeks to air!

The entertainment world is going to need a release and party, and Comic-Con could be just the thing!  That's OF COURSE contingent on the world having the pandemic more under control before mid-July.  I respect CCI for waiting as long as possible before canceling such a huge event: there's no need to cancel now.  The Olympics, for example (since I've seen that canceling referenced) have a myriad of well-in-advance-of-the-event moving parts for countries' athletes to have to prepare: trials, qualification, training, etc. that is currently not happening.  It makes sense for the IOC to cancel now since all of the pre-events leading up to the Olympics are currently canceled. 

I'm hopeful at the moment we can get through this.  Of course, I live in San Diego & qualify for a Pro badge, so my only expense is parking or the trolley: so this is an 'easy' decision for me personally from a financial issue (no flights or hotels to have to book at the worry of canceling and dealing with refunds down-the-road) & I get the concerns out-of-towners have at this time.  If Comic-Con goes on I will likely be more excited for this event than I've been in a long time (2020 would be my 21st consecutive SD Comic-Con), as I will treat this like a true celebration of pop arts.  I'll appreciate the event more than I've likely truly appreciated it in a long time.  If it's smaller? So be it: I was attending before Hall H was a thing, or before Preview Night existed, or before it was a sell-out event.  I suspect a lot of industry types might have a similar excitement in July, as well, and if everything works out I look forward to attending Comic-Con!

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
You do realize it takes months for many exhibitors to prepare. These are the months now and they are not working. Having a positive attitude is great but lets be a little more realistic. What is the problem with waiting a year. Why does everything have to be now. This attitude is what will prolong the virus.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
I can't fault them for reserving the right to wait until June to make a decision as so much could change (for the better or for the worse) by then. I guess it's also a risk that we take when we buy badges knowing nothing about the schedule. But regardless, I'm not going to participate in Hotelpocalypse because I don't think there's much value in any of the three scenarios:

A) SDCC gets canceled/postponed. In this case, hotels will be refunded.

B) We get some semblance of SDCC but it's not the usual. Demand will be drastically reduced. In this case, those who book at hotelpocalypse prices with a non-refundable deposit will get shafted, since plenty of hotels will be available for much cheaper closer to the show.

C) Everything gets cleared up and we get a real SDCC. Even then, I don't expect it to be too difficult to get a hotel closer to the show at average prices. Last year it was possible without too much difficulty...and this year it will be easier because even if it goes back to normal, some things will have changed permanently. More people are afraid of large crowds. Less money to go around. Plans that have dropped due to uncertainty may not be able to be picked back up by the time SDCC officially announces it's on. As you can see from the poll...about 1/3 of us aren't keen on going, and we're the diehards.

Perhaps I am criticizing them too early at this point. They haven't had hotel sale yet. But if they do and hotels still charge at the current rates or even higher than last year's rates? That would not be good. I think my fear is scenario B-- hotels are still super expensive, we get a smaller con with minimal panels, we don't get a choice of badge refund at all past their original refund deadline date. If scenario B happens, a lot of people will be angry and it'll ruin some of their reputation.

I agree; we're literally 4-months away (slightly less, since 4 months from today would be Sat. Comic-Con) and who knows what this situation will be like.  I've been teetering back & forth between 'they won't cancel' and 'they'll probably cancel.'  The public sentiment in the Union Tribune this week gives me hope that this event will still occur, and I'm more optimistic at this time.  I honestly think that in 4 months we'll be READY to celebrate the end of this pandemic; we'll be in NEED of a release.  The comics industry is in a tail spin right now, with Diamond suspending distribution and comic shops hanging by an incredibly thin thread.  Film & TV productions are on hold, even with films that ended principal photography months ago.  BLACK WIDOW ended principal photography in October 2019, but because studios tweak CGI FX unit the last moment (or post-theatrical opening, as was the case with CATS) BLACK WIDOW still had to postpone its May release.  Same with TV shows, with "The Walking Dead" unable to finish production on an episode a little over two weeks to air!

The entertainment world is going to need a release and party, and Comic-Con could be just the thing!  That's OF COURSE contingent on the world having the pandemic more under control before mid-July.  I respect CCI for waiting as long as possible before canceling such a huge event: there's no need to cancel now.  The Olympics, for example (since I've seen that canceling referenced) have a myriad of well-in-advance-of-the-event moving parts for countries' athletes to have to prepare: trials, qualification, training, etc. that is currently not happening.  It makes sense for the IOC to cancel now since all of the pre-events leading up to the Olympics are currently canceled. 

I think that's the main problem here. Is there any reason why we should believe the outbreak is any less in 4 months from now? We haven't hit our peak yet. There is no vaccine until next year. They haven't increased the testing enough yet; many sick people are still being turned away. Our country hasn't really started mass producing any masks yet-- we're still trying to buy them from China. Good luck on buying masks once China hits their 2nd wave. We have't looked enough into potential drug treatment and most doctors are still afraid to prescribe anything off-label right now. We'll be lucky if we barely end our shutdown in 3-4 months, let alone hold big, expensive events.

You bring up the Oympics. Olympics are a good example of how big event organizers should adjust their plan realistically. They're not pretending it might be postponed to the end of this year. No they're expecting to hold it in 2021 as they should. I understand Olympics are a much bigger event than SDCC but I feel CCI should be realistic too. Unless they're trying to be sneaky about it and trying to keep the money they collected for badges and want to try to run a smaller con.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:42:21 PM by omraged9 »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
You bring up the Oympics. Olympics are a good example of how big event organizers should adjust their plan realistically. They're not pretending it might be postponed to the end of this year. No they're expecting to hold it in 2021 as they should. I understand Olympics are a much bigger event than SDCC but I feel CCI should be realistic too. Unless they're trying to be sneaky about it and trying to keep the money they collected for badges and want to try to run a smaller con.

I don't think you can compare the Olympics to CCI.  Olympics is a large international organization and the CCI is a small non-profit.  One big point is that the Olympics doesn't pay for much.  The host country does.  The postponement is going to cost Japan 5 billion dollars.  That's in addition to the 20-30 billion it's already put in.

As I've said before, I think CCI being a small non-profit runs pretty lean.  They don't have a huge bank account.  What comes in is used to pay off their expenses every year to put on the cons.  They've already spent money spinning up for this year.  Unless they have insurance that can make them whole, it may be an existential threat.  They probably have to wait to be cancelled instead voluntarily cancelling in order for the insurance to pay off.

I guess I have more faith in CCI than some.  CCI will do the right thing.  They aren't going to run off with the money.  I think it's ridiculously that people even think that's a possibility.

The thing they could do to assuage fears is push back the refund deadline.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2020, 04:58:46 PM »
I don't think you can compare the Olympics to CCI.  Olympics is a large international organization and the CCI is a small non-profit.  One big point is that the Olympics doesn't pay for much.  The host country does.  The postponement is going to cost Japan 5 billion dollars.  That's in addition to the 20-30 billion it's already put in.

As I've said before, I think CCI being a small non-profit runs pretty lean.  They don't have a huge bank account.  What comes in is used to pay off their expenses every year to put on the cons.  They've already spent money spinning up for this year.  Unless they have insurance that can make them whole, it may be an existential threat.  They probably have to wait to be cancelled instead voluntarily cancelling in order for the insurance to pay off.

I guess I have more faith in CCI than some.  CCI will do the right thing.  They aren't going to run off with the money.  I think it's ridiculously that people even think that's a possibility.

Dont see anyone saying they are afraid Comic Con will run off with our money.

It is kinda ridiculous that San Diego hasnt asked for it to be cancelled though since they are using the convention center as a homeless shelter

Offline imecoli

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2020, 06:02:44 PM »
It may be nonprofit however, the impact ot has on the gaslamp district is beyond comparison.  This is what all the businesses count on to keep their books balanced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2020, 06:12:27 PM »
It may be nonprofit however, the impact ot has on the gaslamp district is beyond comparison.  This is what all the businesses count on to keep their books balanced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a hard situation, there's a thin line between trying to save businesses from going bankrupt and start to sound like Trump

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »

I'm not scared that CCI will run off with our money. I'm concerned that they're going to take our money and run a smaller con with minimal TV/movie panels and ask for $300-600+ in hotel deposits and refuse to give any refunds past their standard deadlines.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #400 on: March 25, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
I'm not scared that CCI will run off with our money. I'm concerned that they're going to take our money and run a smaller con with minimal TV/movie panels and ask for $300-600+ in hotel deposits and refuse to give any refunds past their standard deadlines.

I agree.  Maybe they'll extend the badge refund deadline?  And when to hold the hotel sale?  After the refund deadline actually makes sense this year, give people a chance to see how the pandemic is progressing.

Offline daudino

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
Maybe a good, but small, first step would be to waive the traditional 10% fee if someone would like to get a refund while the fate of the con is undecided given the extraordinary circumstances of this whole thing.

The person could be taking a chance if they decide to roll over badges to next year because the whole thing gets cancelled, but for some folks they already know they don't want to go even if it goes on and may want/need their money for more urgent things at the moment.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »
Maybe a good, but small, first step would be to waive the traditional 10% fee if someone would like to get a refund while the fate of the con is undecided given the extraordinary circumstances of this whole thing.

The person could be taking a chance if they decide to roll over badges to next year because the whole thing gets cancelled, but for some folks they already know they don't want to go even if it goes on and may want/need their money for more urgent things at the moment.
Good idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #403 on: March 26, 2020, 05:28:43 AM »

Agreed. 10% might not sound like a lot but when people are losing jobs and not sure they'll be able to pay rent or bills, it all adds up.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:38 AM »
Has anyone here asked for a refund yet?  And if so have they mentioned waiving the fee?
I mean if so many of you aren't going for sure already, surely some one has started the process.