Author Topic: "Best" Hotel for Wondercon?  (Read 18857 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: "Best" Hotel for Wondercon?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 08:46:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like your style TJ! Our own little FoCCI meet-up. Awwww  ;D

LOL, seriously, that's what we'll be doing. So if you see us in the lobby or in line at the security table, then we should meet up!

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
LOL, seriously, that's what we'll be doing. So if you see us in the lobby or in line at the security table, then we should meet up!

Totally! It's in my calendar. Will PM you closer to travel dates!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:28:08 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
Totally! It's in my calendar. Will PM you closer to travel dates!

Looking forward to it!

And since we're on the topic, have you made your dining reservations? I just booked us at Blue Bayou on Friday the 18th at 11:30 am. We'll head over to the Con afterward.

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
No, but we will. Traditional is that we hit both the BB and Ariel's Grotto. It's our compromise with our kid because we don't wait to wait in line for an hour and a half to see the princesses when we could be sitting down eating lunch and drinking long island ice tea's while they come to us.

Have you ever eaten at Cafe Orleans? Their beignet sandwiches are crazy good.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »
No, but we will. Traditional is that we hit both the BB and Ariel's Grotto. It's our compromise with our kid because we don't wait to wait in line for an hour and a half to see the princesses when we could be sitting down eating lunch and drinking long island ice tea's while they come to us.

Have you ever eaten at Cafe Orleans? Their beignet sandwiches are crazy good.

Cafe Orleans is normally our go-to place, because we love the pommes frites and the monte cristos. But we decided to try out BB this year for a change of pace. We went to Ariel's a few times, but since my kids aren't really into characters anymore, we don't do the character meals.

Our other traditions are the awesome corn dogs (little red wagon in DL or Corn Dog Castle in DCA) and the Tigger Tails from Pooh Corner.

If you just want Mickey beignets, you can get them at the French Market from the counter service.

Have you registered with the Earl of Sandwich? If you do that on their website, they will send you a coupon for a free sandwich on your 'birthday'. Ahem... strangely, DH and I ended up with late March birthdays last year... ;)  We picked up our free sandwiches on the way to WonderCon and ate them in the arena while we watched the Pacific Rim panel.

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Do any of the hotels have a breakfast buffet?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 06:47:06 AM »
Cafe Orleans is normally our go-to place, because we love the pommes frites and the monte cristos. But we decided to try out BB this year for a change of pace. We went to Ariel's a few times, but since my kids aren't really into characters anymore, we don't do the character meals.

Our other traditions are the awesome corn dogs (little red wagon in DL or Corn Dog Castle in DCA) and the Tigger Tails from Pooh Corner.

If you just want Mickey beignets, you can get them at the French Market from the counter service.

Have you registered with the Earl of Sandwich? If you do that on their website, they will send you a coupon for a free sandwich on your 'birthday'. Ahem... strangely, DH and I ended up with late March birthdays last year... ;)  We picked up our free sandwiches on the way to WonderCon and ate them in the arena while we watched the Pacific Rim panel.

That's awersome! I can't wait until Charlotte isn't into characters anymore. I'm trying to think of where the Earl of Sandwich is.

Hey did you know Disneyland is dismantling Tomorrowland and replacing it with Star Wars land?

Bert, the Disneyland hotel has a breakfast buffet called Goofy's Kitchen or something like that.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Earl of Sandwich is down at the end of Downtown Disney, close to the Disneyland Hotel. They make awesome sandwiches! (breakfast and lunch/dinner)

I've heard the Star Wars Land rumours... they're over in WDW as well (at the DHS). It's one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' things for me. I follow a lot of different Disney blogs, and it's only been mentioned as a 'vague planning' thing. Disney is currently focussed on salvaging the Fastpass+ mess at Disneyworld. I'm just glad it's messed up there, because it means we get to keep the old Fastpass system here at Disneyland!

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
Earl of Sandwich is down at the end of Downtown Disney, close to the Disneyland Hotel. They make awesome sandwiches! (breakfast and lunch/dinner)

I've heard the Star Wars Land rumours... they're over in WDW as well (at the DHS). It's one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' things for me. I follow a lot of different Disney blogs, and it's only been mentioned as a 'vague planning' thing. Disney is currently focussed on salvaging the Fastpass+ mess at Disneyworld. I'm just glad it's messed up there, because it means we get to keep the old Fastpass system here at Disneyland!

So what's wrong with their FS system? We were there in June and it seemed to work fine. But let's just say WDW wasn't my cup of tea. I'll stick with DL.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
So what's wrong with their FS system? We were there in June and it seemed to work fine. But let's just say WDW wasn't my cup of tea. I'll stick with DL.

Since January, WDW has switched over to Fastpass+ at all parks. There are no more kiosks to insert your card and get a return FP. You now have to reserve your FPs in advance (if you are staying onsite) or at a kiosk when you arrive (if you are staying offsite). You can only get 3 FPs per day, no repeating of rides, and no park-hopping. At Epcot and DHS the rides are 'tiered' such that you cannot get FPs for all of the headliners on the same day. There have been many glitches with this system, not the least of which are missing FPs, massive FP return lines, and having issues changing/canceling FPs. Theoretically this system is supposed to be more flexible, by allowing you to book your times in advance and change them on the fly. In reality, it's resulting in decreased FPs (we are used to getting 8 in one day) and longer FP return lines. We're going to WDW this June and hoping that it's somewhat sorted out by then.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »
Since January, WDW has switched over to Fastpass+ at all parks. There are no more kiosks to insert your card and get a return FP. You now have to reserve your FPs in advance (if you are staying onsite) or at a kiosk when you arrive (if you are staying offsite). You can only get 3 FPs per day, no repeating of rides, and no park-hopping. At Epcot and DHS the rides are 'tiered' such that you cannot get FPs for all of the headliners on the same day. There have been many glitches with this system, not the least of which are missing FPs, massive FP return lines, and having issues changing/canceling FPs. Theoretically this system is supposed to be more flexible, by allowing you to book your times in advance and change them on the fly. In reality, it's resulting in decreased FPs (we are used to getting 8 in one day) and longer FP return lines. We're going to WDW this June and hoping that it's somewhat sorted out by then.

That sounds like a mess. I prefer the one at DL. I saw a commercial for WDW promoting the new fastpass system too.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
That sounds like a mess. I prefer the one at DL. I saw a commercial for WDW promoting the new fastpass system too.

Yep, us too! Which is why we jump at the opportunity to go to DL during WonderCon.

(See, mods? I'm getting this back on topic! ;) )

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:49 AM »

That's rubbish!

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 04:30:40 AM »
Bert, the Disneyland hotel has a breakfast buffet called Goofy's Kitchen or something like that.

Sounds fun. I hope it's good
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 06:31:41 AM »

Perhaps it's just me, but I like Storyteller's Cafe (at the Grand Californian Hotel) better. Better theming, better food. Characters are at breakfast, although they are 'forest' themed (like Chip & Dale). Another good place to stop in Downtown Disney is the La Brea Bakery and Cafe. And also Earl of Sandwich, naturally! ;)