Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26623 times)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
According to the President yesterday, Coronavirus is going to disappear without a vaccine, so I assume that means that very soon we’ll have nothing to worry about going to cons!
(oozing sarcasm)

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
According to the President yesterday, Coronavirus is going to disappear without a vaccine, so I assume that means that very soon we’ll have nothing to worry about going to cons!
(oozing sarcasm)

Well, if you read further into the discussion, he said it might come back again in fall and then we'll see small outbreaks after that, but eventually it will go away. In other words, don't hold me to my quote before the election, just trust me and after I'm elected again we'll see what happens.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Dino W

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
He also said he says what he thinks even when the experts tell him not to. So even if what he thinks makes no sense, medically or otherwise, he will say it!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
He also said he says what he thinks even when the experts tell him not to. So even if what he thinks makes no sense, medically or otherwise, he will say it!

Unfortunately, a lot of people will go by what he says because it’s what they want to hear.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Feels like cheating at this point, but I did remove/change my vote today.  At first I was stead-fast in the "let's wait & see!" side when this first went live, naively hoping we'd have made progress as a nation between mid-March and late-July.  Now, I have zero faith anything will change anytime soon (short of "change" being "things are opening but more people are being lax which leads to more sickness & deaths") and changed my vote to 'Absolutely Not.'
I felt anxiety going to my local Target this morning to pick up groceries I had pre-ordered: all I had to do was open my trunk, wait for an amazingly awesome employee to put the few bags into the trunk & shut the door, and then drive off.  I didn't have to leave my vehicle or talk to anyone outside my car (though I made sure to thank the employee).  If I had anxiety in an incredibly low-stress situation, there's no way I wouldn't be having panic attacks around 100,000+ people downtown.

I don't even know how I'll fell next July, to be honest.  My wife has asthma and is considered 'at risk,' so I fear doing anything that could endanger her (let alone our kids).  We'll see.

But for 2020, second Sunday of May my vote is changed from 'I'll be there' to 'Absolutely Not'

Looking forward to at-home Virtual Comic-Con though!!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
I’ve been doing Target/Walmart/grocery store/warehouse club regularly.  But I’m an attorney, and on the 18th, some courts around me will resume.  The idea of going back to doing court dockets makes me nervous as hell, because unlike stores, court’s usually not a get in/get out situation, and you’re around a lot of people that you don’t know, and I don’t see how social distancing will be possible.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I was a no to start with and continue to be a no.  If anything I'm more solidly a no now then 2 months ago.  Things are worst now then they were 2 months ago.  Unlike a lot of things that are scary in the beginning because so much is unknown, the more we learn about the effects of covid the worst it gets.  2 months ago only the old had to worry.  Now, even the very young have to worry.  Their symptoms and complications are different but no less worrying.  2 months ago it was just a respiratory illness.  Now, it's clear that covid has systematic effects.  2 months ago getting hospitalize was hopeful salvation.  So we didn't want to overwhelm the hospitals.  Now, if you are so sick to be hospitalize, it's not good.  If you have to be put on a ventilator then hopefully your affairs are in order.  Whether hospitals are in good shape or not doesn't seem to matter much since if you are sick enough for a hospital, the prognosis is not good.

For the US, I'm more pessimistic about the situation now than 2 months ago.  I really thought we would get it together and do the right thing.  We haven't.  It's like the novelty has worn off and now people are over it.  Look at our numbers.  We haven't even plateaued yet let alone started to down slope.  Yet all over the country we are acting like it's already over.  I don't think this is going to end well.  Other countries, like Singapore, used the lull after the first wave to prepare for the second.  They are taking the respite to build out their ability to respond.  We aren't even in a lull yet and we are dismantling ours.

I felt anxiety going to my local Target this morning to pick up groceries I had pre-ordered: all I had to do was open my trunk, wait for an amazingly awesome employee to put the few bags into the trunk & shut the door, and then drive off.

I love the drive up trunk pickups.  It's truly no contact.  I don't even have to roll down the windows.  I've decided to switch over to that instead of ordering anything shipped.  The selection is so much better and the goods are in much better shape.  Shipping food is not a good thing, it turns out .  I had to switch over.  The dog stopped eating canned meat.  I had to get her the fresh stuff.  I can't let the dog starve.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
For the US, I'm more pessimistic about the situation now than 2 months ago.  I really thought we would get it together and do the right thing.  We haven't.  It's like the novelty has worn off and now people are over it.  Look at our numbers.  We haven't even plateaued yet let alone started to down slope.  Yet all over the country we are acting like it's already over.  I don't think this is going to end well.  Other countries, like Singapore, used the lull after the first wave to prepare for the second.  They are taking the respite to build out their ability to respond.  We aren't even in a lull yet and we are dismantling ours.

THIS.

I'd hoped people would be responsible.  I guess not.  Very disheartening.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
I was originally "yes with lots of disinfectant" but I changed my vote to "no". After seeing the behavior of people in states that are opening back up (and the fact that states ARE opening back up - NY extended it's stay-at-home until June) and how people refuse to even do the basic courtesy of wearing a mask, you can't trust people to not put everyone else at risk. Also I saw a tweet from a doctor who had flown to NYC to help and was on his way home, and the airline (United, I think) had emailed a week prior saying that the middle seat would be empty on all flights, but in his tweet was a picture of a full flight.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Just me but United has behaved very badly through this entire epidemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
So much for my extreme stay at home program.  The dog got sick and I had to take her to the vet.  Can't really practice social distancing with pets.  So basically I did a group hug with every person that went to that vet yesterday.  I did bath her when we got home but she doesn't let me wash her head.  Where do most people pet dogs?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
I was a no to start with and continue to be a no.  If anything I'm more solidly a no now then 2 months ago.  Things are worst now then they were 2 months ago.  Unlike a lot of things that are scary in the beginning because so much is unknown, the more we learn about the effects of covid the worst it gets.  2 months ago only the old had to worry.  Now, even the very young have to worry.  Their symptoms and complications are different but no less worrying.  2 months ago it was just a respiratory illness.  Now, it's clear that covid has systematic effects.  2 months ago getting hospitalize was hopeful salvation.  So we didn't want to overwhelm the hospitals.  Now, if you are so sick to be hospitalize, it's not good.  If you have to be put on a ventilator then hopefully your affairs are in order.  Whether hospitals are in good shape or not doesn't seem to matter much since if you are sick enough for a hospital, the prognosis is not good.

I love the drive up trunk pickups.  It's truly no contact.  I don't even have to roll down the windows.  I've decided to switch over to that instead of ordering anything shipped.  The selection is so much better and the goods are in much better shape.  Shipping food is not a good thing, it turns out .  I had to switch over.  The dog stopped eating canned meat.  I had to get her the fresh stuff.  I can't let the dog starve.

Yeah you bring up a great point about what seems like daily "information updates" I've read from various science & medical studies/reports online.  When this first hit in March I seriously thought, "wow: this sucks for old people but seems relatively benign for younger-than-60ish." 
Since then, I've had friends younger than me + in better shape than me get hit HARD by COVID-19.  It took until yesterday for a Broadway star w/no preexisting conditions (anyone who's seen a musical knows that Broadway stars have to be in crazy-good shape) be in a coma for weeks, on a ventilator since April 1, and had to have a leg amputated due to complications from being on a ventilator!

I'm by no means an 'alarmist' or whatnot: while I'm in my low-40's w/kids & a wife I still feel young enough that I'm not intimidated by stuff and generally do what I want, danger-be-damned.  But after getting first-hand details from friends of mine that have had to spend weeks in the hospital PLUS learning this thing impacts people differently and potentially long-term, I'm shook.  I think people are literally insane/brain-damaged to want to go out into crowds w/out at least a viable mask.  I've seen what this does to relatively young (low-30's) healthy people & I would not want to risk that.  CCI absolutely made the right call

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
So much for my extreme stay at home program.  The dog got sick and I had to take her to the vet.  Can't really practice social distancing with pets.  So basically I did a group hug with every person that went to that vet yesterday.  I did bath her when we got home but she doesn't let me wash her head.  Where do most people pet dogs?

Wow. My vet made me stay in my car. They used their own leash, not mine. They took her in without me and came back out with the diagnosis. I only went in to pay and there was only one other person there because everyone was in their car. The staff were covered in face masks and gloves.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
Wow. My vet made me stay in my car. They used their own leash, not mine. They took her in without me and came back out with the diagnosis. I only went in to pay and there was only one other person there because everyone was in their car. The staff were covered in face masks and gloves.

My vet did something similar.  We don't even go into pay, they bring a hand unit out to us.  But unless people kept their pet isolated for days before bringing them in and wore gloves, mask, and at least an apron when transporting them then whatever the people have is on their pets.  So when the vet and techs handle their patients then what's on them is now on the vet and techs.  I don't think they change out their scrubs or even their gloves after each patient.  I doubt they disinfect the holding kennel after each patient either.  So what's on every person is transferred onto the pets which is transferred to the vet staff and facilities which is transferred onto my dog which is transferred to me when she's handed back to me.  Transference, it's a group hug.  If it wasn't urgent, I would have made an appointment as early in the morning as possible.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
If CCI were willing to do the con in Wisconsin, they could hold it today!