Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 63983 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
Just watched Netflix's Bird Box because of all the hype. I thought it was okay. I wouldn't call this a horror movie, though it certainly had a lot of the same elements, including the same type of characters. But unlike most horror movies, I didn't find the characters infuriating to a fault. One character was fully self-aware of how soft and useless she was. And the a**h*** of the film was someone I actually rooted for, because it was his a**h***ry that kept them alive. There was some good tension in the film, but it never strained credibility (like, oh, why are you walking alone in a dark hallway). The ending was something I should've seen coming, and almost blindingly obvious in hindsight, but it was still a surprise.

But I am getting tired of these kind of movies. I'll hide the rest in a spoilers tag to explain what I mean.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Overall, I think this movie was just not in my taste, though I can understand why people do like it though.

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
Question for folks that saw BirdBox:

I definitely missed it but
Twitter feed: @mel641

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 06:28:42 AM »

Offline hoserzgirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
I liked it. Little gore, more intense thriller with supernatural overtones. I was thinking it would be a great fit in the LOST universe.

It would be nice to get another movie or two set in this same idea that eventually kinda leads up to a conclusion.

Rick

The ending

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
I'm looking at going to either The Upside or Replicas on Friday.
has anyone heard any thing good/bad about either one ??

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »
[member=401]hoserzgirl[/member] Regarding your speculation of what people would do, that's what exactly happened in the book, and what the protagonists found at the end, where
. So it was much more of a depressing ending to the book than the movie. I believe it was the director who decided to change the ending to the one we saw.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=401]hoserzgirl[/member] Regarding your speculation of what people would do, that's what exactly happened in the book, and what the protagonists found at the end, where
. So it was much more of a depressing ending to the book than the movie. I believe it was the director who decided to change the ending to the one we saw.
Very true: she (the director) wanted the film to have a
.  I haven't read the book, so I don't know which ending I would prefer.  In the book was there an explanation on

I don't know what I thought about BIRD BOX.  It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible.  I fell more on the "it's a benign thing I'll forget about in a week for the most part" side, though the compelling performances of the two biggest actors in the movie are notable.  I can't decide if I think this movie feels more like "a mash-up of a whole bunch of genre films: the isolated post-apocalypse journey of THE ROAD + the loss-of-senses in order to survive an extraterrestrial element ala QUIET PLACE + the 'run away from nothing' dopey vibe of THE HAPPENING, the isolated bickering of a small group of survivors trying to work out what they're going to do ala THE MIST or NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, etc.  Or maybe it's a fascinating metaphor for the current US immigration/asylum-seeking situation: a mom trying to take her small children to escape a devastating, life-threatening event in her 'homeland' going on vague-ish things she's heard about a better life in an unknown place where she will be dependent on strangers for help.  IDK.  The movie felt like it had a low budget or something: a sort of cheap vibe.  I'm 100% OK with not showing the creatures, especially when it was revealed what they were supposed to look like for the movie (think a long thing with a literal baby-face), but the whole movie just felt like a lot of "meh."  Like there are good story ideas within the film (like the crazy blind fanatics in particular) but the script seems undeveloped a bit: like it's developed in the "check the boxes of plot contrivances and tropes" but not so much else.  I didn't mind the non-linear story, and I actually mostly liked not showing the evil...thing(s?): I thought, though, visually they didn't handle that well: were they fog (again with the MIST comparisons), or maybe some sort of light (see IT for the 'death lights')?  We don't know, and that seems problematic.  This could'e been better done visually, but I suspect anything explicit would've been very problematic from a logistical sense (light clearly comes in through the insanely thin newspaper, so any 'death lights' could've easily circumvented thin paper) and so they went intentionally vague to the detriment of story-logic.  Nothing has to make sense in a movie world compared to our actual world: it just has to make perfect sense within the established 'rules' of a given movie/book/whatever.  And I think the filmmakers dropped the ball in order to spotlight human-tension - something we've seen before (see "The Walking Dead" series).

So I guess this is a pretty mediocre movie with a few strong performances that struggles with its antagonists/rules of their world.  I can buy the logic of traversing a rolling river blindfolded, or the goofiness of a GPS map being perfectly in sync with where you're at/landscape around you (I actually though for as dopey as real-world logic is with GPS apps being non-perfect, the tension was effective with the "just a curb" and whatnot).  But problems within the established rules (or in this case not established at times) of the movie world and under-cooked/developed story points really bring down what could be a really interesting premise into a one-note/one-idea movie that doesn't really evolve past its most basic premise

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2019, 07:31:57 PM »
I saw The Upside this afternoon- what a fun, enjoyable movie. the two leads, Cranston & Hart have real chemistry & put in great performances, Kidman did good too. ;) But the star of the show is the interplay between Cranston & Hart.

this isn't my usual type of movie but this is a smart, well crafted and written movie
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Re: Movie and TV Spoiler/No Spoiler Thread
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2019, 06:37:28 PM »
i am late in posting this; The Upside is great- I very much recommend this movie!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
i caught the new Liam Neeson movie, Cold Pursuit.  it was fun- while i don't like the controversy surrounding Liem, the movie was a fairly accurate portrait of the wacky-ness that happens in northern areas during the winter. Aside from grave side funerals in the middle of winter... that's just stupid.
I enjoyed it- i don't know if i'd spend money to see it tho- but it was watchable & funny in a morbid sort of way

the 2 movies on my list for next week are
Alita: Battle Angel
and Ruben Brandt, Collector if it's playing at an AMC

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:35:30 AM by alyssa »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2019, 12:59:19 PM »
i caught the new Liam Neeson movie, Cold Pursuit.  it was fun- while i don't like the controversy surrounding Liem, the movie was a fairly accurate portrait of the wacky-ness that happens in northern areas during the winter. Aside from grave side funerals in the middle of winter... that's just stupid.
I enjoyed it- i don't know if i'd spend money to see it tho- but it was watchable & funny in a morbid sort of way

the 2 movies on my list for next week are
Alita: Battle Angel
and Ruben Brandt, Collector if it's playing at an AMC
Cold Pursuit is an English language remake of a Scandinavian film called In Order Of Disappearance. Which in turn was roughly based on real events. Which is quite crazy when you see the film

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
I'm working my way through the award contenders and other new releases. 

The RBG movie On the Basis of Sex was great, with superb work by Felicity Jones.  Then watch the documentary on Hulu for the full picture. 

Vice was good, with really good work by Christian Bale and Amy Adams.  You can tell it is by the same writer as The Big Short. 

The Mule is quite good, though I'm no longer much of a Clint Eastwood fan.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
So that was really weird -- I hit Reply and an old reply I'd apparently forgotten to post popped up in the text box.  I just posted it now, but very strange!!

Today we saw They Shall Not Grow Old, the Peter Jackson project with restored WWI footage.  It's not fun but for sure an important movie for all to see.  War sucks.

I've also see two of the Foreign Language Oscar Nominees, Cold War (Poland) and Shoplifters (Japan).  Both are worth seeing.  My daughter interned at the Cannes Film Festival and said there was quite a buzz around Shoplifters.  I still need to watch Roma on Netflix.

I also saw Mary Queen of Scots.  Saoirse Ronan is incredible!  The costumes are wonderful!  But the story is very hard to follow, IMO.  It's not historically accurate and doesn't make sense as fiction, either. 

The 3 Nominated Shorts compilations opened here on Friday so they're next on my list :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
... Which in turn was roughly based on real events. Which is quite crazy when you see the film
I can totally see it happening... seriously, life gets wacky up north in the dead of winter.

[member=842]TardisMom[/member] the behavior of the reply box actually makes sense. but i can see why it's odd to everyone. I recently reinstalled a modification which aids in remembering posts. the idea is if something happens an a member navagates away from a page before posting the words written will be remembered and re populated. IOW, it's a new feature ;)

i hope the RBG & Vice movies are still in theatres next weekend - i'll have time to watch movies then
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:52:04 PM by alyssa »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
This week I made it to the theatre to see the Oscar Nominated Documentary Shorts.  I think the one set in India will win.  Second choice is the hospital/hospice one.

I also FINALLY watched Roma on Netflix.  Excellent movie.  But I still want Black Panther to win Best Picture :)

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
Re: Movie and TV Spoiler/No Spoiler Thread
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
The wife and I saw Shazam last night. Full house for the Thursday evening showing. As we exited the theater around 10pm there were still droves of patrons flocking to enter the AMC. I didn't expect the showing of support for this movie. As for the actual film itself, it was much better than I expected, which were low expectations to begin with being that I didn't know much about the character. David Sandberg does a great job in establishing back stories for both Thaddeus Sivana (villain) and Billy Batson (protagonist), something that is sorely missed in many MCU movies where the villain's reasoning/backstory isn't as emphasized. Zachary Levi is perfect for the role of Shazam being comedic and heroic and Ashery Angel portrays a very sympathetic character in Billy where many people can relate with. DC-references-o-plenty for all you DC buffs. Stay until the end of the mid-post credits scene for a little something extra. The comedy and action is spaced out nicely and it knows when to be serious. My only gripe is with the CGI of the characters (don't want to reveal too much). With Wonder Woman, Aquaman and now Shazam, my faith in the DCEU is slowly being restored. I give this movie 4.5 sparkle fingers out of 5.

"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson