Author Topic: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation  (Read 11278 times)

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
Re: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
At least I don't have to pay for a COVID-19 test anymore to fly to US, requirement dropped in time now for SDCC!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »
As someone who lives in LA it pained me to buy a $512 ticket from the east coast to LA on July 20th. I got so lucky finding this deal. It is on a third party site so I'm just crossing my fingers. Did some research beforehand, and I purchased it on the Chase Sapphire Card so I feel like I have some protections in place. Next is just another painful $300 purchase for my badge :(

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 04:58:29 AM »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2022, 06:20:39 PM »
I bought my tickets with JetBlue in March, during their last decent fare sale. I ended up spending about 47K in points, which was about the same I spent in 2019.

JetBlue has been crap lately though and I’m acquiring a nice nest egg of credits related to 3 hour delays and faulty TVs.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2022, 07:40:06 PM »
As someone who lives in LA it pained me to buy a $512 ticket from the east coast to LA on July 20th. I got so lucky finding this deal. It is on a third party site so I'm just crossing my fingers. Did some research beforehand, and I purchased it on the Chase Sapphire Card so I feel like I have some protections in place. Next is just another painful $300 purchase for my badge :(

Sorry to pry, but I'm confused.

If you live in LA, why are you flying into LA from the east coast.

and...

Are you just buying your badge now? How?
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »
Sorry to pry, but I'm confused.

If you live in LA, why are you flying into LA from the east coast.

and...

Are you just buying your badge now? How?

I'm bicoastal so I have a place in LA and here on the east coast. One of the many benefits to being 100% remote except when I'm needed on set. To that point, I'm classified as a Professional and badge sales just reopened for that group.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2022, 01:26:53 PM »
I'm bicoastal so I have a place in LA and here on the east coast. One of the many benefits to being 100% remote except when I'm needed on set. To that point, I'm classified as a Professional and badge sales just reopened for that group.

That explains a lot!!!   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2022, 10:23:44 AM »
Given the way that flights are going these days, I am beginning to second guess flying out on PN. I don't know if I can take an extra day off work (and the airport is a cruise from my house, so an early flight on PN is not really doable, with traffic around here), but I would hate to be delayed and miss out.
Am I overreacting? I have seen tweets by flight attendants saying to fly a day earlier if possible. Maybe they're talking about weekends. It might help that I am flying out mid-week and not near a holiday weekend.
My original flight was late morning - which gave me some wiggle room, but they changed it to noonish, so I am kinda worried. There is a little wiggle room but still.

Sigh...
Ang

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
Given the way that flights are going these days, I am beginning to second guess flying out on PN. I don't know if I can take an extra day off work (and the airport is a cruise from my house, so an early flight on PN is not really doable, with traffic around here), but I would hate to be delayed and miss out.
Am I overreacting? I have seen tweets by flight attendants saying to fly a day earlier if possible. Maybe they're talking about weekends. It might help that I am flying out mid-week and not near a holiday weekend.
My original flight was late morning - which gave me some wiggle room, but they changed it to noonish, so I am kinda worried. There is a little wiggle room but still.

Sigh...

I don't think you're overreacting.  I've never had an issue around flying for Comic-Con, but as I gained more Con experience (and been able to afford it), I've made it a point to fly out earlier, just in case.

BTW...I don't think the flight attendant advice has anything to do with the time of the week you're flying.  I have a family member who works for a major airline.  Of course she can fly for free.  One thing the airline stresses is that their employees NOT try to fly home the day before they have to report to work.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
I don't think you're overreacting.  I've never had an issue around flying for Comic-Con, but as I gained more Con experience (and been able to afford it), I've made it a point to fly out earlier, just in case.

BTW...I don't think the flight attendant advice has anything to do with the time of the week you're flying.  I have a family member who works for a major airline.  Of course she can fly for free.  One thing the airline stresses is that their employees NOT try to fly home the day before they have to report to work.
What's one more thing to stress about... LOL (nervously) I'll have to discuss with the others. I really don't think I can afford to fly out earlier (I got a decent price on my tickets). I may just have to  hope for the best and take my lumps if something happens. At least I am flying non-stop. I know I will be at the airport SUPER early, just in case.
Ang

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2022, 12:41:12 PM »
A few people I know who have flown lately have had flight issues. I know 3 people in the last week who have missed their connection flights. Hopefully this won’t happen to anyone here!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2022, 01:06:02 PM »
I've heard (form the Points Guy Blog) that Southwest and Alaska (and to some extent, Delta) have already cancelled chunks of their summer schedules, to make sure that they can sustain what is left. The other airlines might be more suspect.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2022, 05:32:01 PM »
I'm starting to think maybe the 3+ hour layovers are a good thing for me now :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2022, 01:03:26 PM »
I'm starting to think maybe the 3+ hour layovers are a good thing for me now :D

iirc, you're in a good airport terminal to have a long layover ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2022, 02:25:31 AM »
Heading to the airport in a bit. Please please please Delta, just get me there today.

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
And Delta got me here with no delays … whew!