Author Topic: disabled placard parking  (Read 1679 times)

Offline mstadler

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
disabled placard parking
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
Are there any parking accommodations at Comic-Con for people with disabled parking placards?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: disabled placard parking
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are there any parking accommodations at Comic-Con for people with disabled parking placards?

There are disabled spots in the lots, but you'd still have to secure a parking pass to get into the lot and use it.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:06:41 PM »

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »

It is first come, first served for those spots.  You need to get in early to land one in the more popular lots .  I used one a couple of years ago when I was recovering from a running injury.

Offline TwiBetween

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »
If you're traveling from out of state be aware that California does not accept out of state Disability placards as valid! (You CAN be tickets for parking in a disabled spot even with an out of state placard!) You have to go to the CA DMV website and print and have your doctor complete the Disability form and mail it in or take it to the DMV when you arrive to receive a temporary travel placard. The placard is free, but its only good for 3 months from date of issue, and it can take them several weeks to process it so you have to time it right if you're trying to do it by mail. Its a real pain!

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
If you're traveling from out of state be aware that California does not accept out of state Disability placards as valid! (You CAN be tickets for parking in a disabled spot even with an out of state placard!) You have to go to the CA DMV website and print and have your doctor complete the Disability form and mail it in or take it to the DMV when you arrive to receive a temporary travel placard. The placard is free, but its only good for 3 months from date of issue, and it can take them several weeks to process it so you have to time it right if you're trying to do it by mail. Its a real pain!

That isn’t true...  I have lived here 3 years and have my placard from VA... I went to DMV and they told me (and my 2 cop friends) that I can continue to use it until it expires and then get the permanent one here.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TwiBetween

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »
Wow! I've been told repeatedly that my AZ placard is not acceptable and have always gotten the travel placard from the DMV. I almost got a ticket once. The reasoning, I was told, was that California allows free meter parking and unlimited time at timed parking spaces with a disabled placard, which are not amenities my state provides, and so my placard was not sufficient. I will definitely ask the DMV about this on our next trip!

That isn’t true...  I have lived here 3 years and have my placard from VA... I went to DMV and they told me (and my 2 cop friends) that I can continue to use it until it expires and then get the permanent one here.   

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
Yes, if you want to park at a meter for free but a regular handicap spot is fine with out of state placards and they are legal here.  The temporary visitor one for CA is not mandatory but is offered to offer the same “perks” that the ones from here have.

My doc is doing my paperwork currently to have mine shifted from VA to here.  I never park at metered spaces so never paid attention to it lol

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »
My state also allows free parking with placard at meters and even free parking at the fairgrounds  :D
I have used it in CA without issue.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:20:37 PM »
There are disabled spots in the lots, but you'd still have to secure a parking pass to get into the lot and use it.
My only experience with this is at the Hilton bay front and the convention center. You have to get there either really early or really late to get a handicap spot.