Author Topic: Younger Teen Anime at SDCC?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Younger Teen Anime at SDCC?
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
I have a young teen who is interested in Anime, who has never been to SDCC, and who may be coming next year.  I see there is a lot of Anime programming going on at the Marriott, but I wondered if there may be an interest group for his age level.  I searched on FB, but didn't come up with anything.  Looked at the ComicConFamily site, which is great, but that seems to be geared toward younger kids.  Appreciate any leads or ideas.  Thank you.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: Younger Teen Anime at SDCC?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
My friends sometimes go check out the anime panels, and they're in their early to mid 20s. It depends on what they offer in 2019, but I'd say there are shows for multiple age groups. I think your teen will find something anime related they like, even if it's mainly wandering the floor looking at items. I know as a young teen, who liked anime, I'd go to SDCC for the game/anime concerts and buy things from the floor.

But yeah, it'll mainly be having them look at the schedule to see what they'd be interested in, once the time comes. Sorry I can't be more help, but I always found something interesting to do as a young teen.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:33:02 AM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
Very helpful [member=1256]Iris[/member]. Yes, he will have the joy of discovery. I like that.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »
We did score a ticket for my young teen anime fan and he is sooo excited! During the holiday break I am having him look at what was offered last year to get an idea of the 'lay of the land'.  He is even beginning to write his own stories, and I hope to have him maybe encounter some other young writers. 

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »
The nice thing about anime panels at Comic Con is that it usually isn't that difficult to get into the panel room compared some other panels. Funimation and other big companies have panels there and that can be a line but I've always made it in there, if at the back. Then there are some niche panels as well targeted toward older anime fans but can be interesting for any age.

In terms of what is showing on the screens I don't normally watch those because there is so much going on but I have seen popular/mainstream anime on the listings.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:30:39 AM »
As we swing into March, I am just reactivating this in case anyone might have some more insight for a young teen anime fan at SDCC for the first time.  Thanks!

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
Once the panel schedule is released online, take a look at it and search for anime, manga, japan, etc keywords, there will be a lot of events to check out. Most big animation companies and some medium/small ones have involvement there. There are industry panels to keep an eye out and sometimes some surprisingly high people up the ladder there like the actual owners or directors. Voice actors and creators may be there as well, search the blogs/twitter/etc of your favourite people a few weeks before the convention to see if they are attending for signings/panels/etc. Not just related to anime, but youth fiction or fiction in general, you would be surprised which artists or writers may be attending the convention. I am still surprised and saddened that Margaret Atwood attended the con a few years ago but I didn't know about it until afterward.

There is also a lot of swag at the convention in the exhibitor area, anime or otherwise, free or paid. Viz media is one of the best with that, if you are purchasing something there is often something like a different free  poster or item each particular day with the purchase, and also free handouts of similar items at various hours during the day. Spin the wheel type freebies and playing very simple games to get free items, line ups aren't too bad. Manga sampler packs too that they hand out for free [that look like this for example - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login]

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
[member=4489]darqamin[/member] - Super information.  We will try all of these things!  :)  Thank you!!