Author Topic: SDCC 2022: Housing Options (Outside of the Official Hotel Block)  (Read 20465 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC 2022: Housing Options (Outside of the Official Hotel Block)
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2022, 12:51:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have so much work to do, but all I can think about is May 3.
Is that the day the first batch of emails goes out?  I forgot that date (and will be more productive if that's the case and I stop checking email every 90 seconds)

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
Is that the day the first batch of emails goes out?  I forgot that date (and will be more productive if that's the case and I stop checking email every 90 seconds)

First batch May 3, second batch May 10. Leftover sale May 17.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2022, 12:57:26 PM »
yes.

Per the Comic Con Web Site...

Confirmations of hotel placements will be sent out in two groups. The first will be sent on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, and the second on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Those whose request cannot be accommodated and therefore cannot be placed will be notified no later than Tuesday, May 17, 2022.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2022, 01:03:39 PM »
yes.

Per the Comic Con Web Site...

Confirmations of hotel placements will be sent out in two groups. The first will be sent on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, and the second on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Those whose request cannot be accommodated and therefore cannot be placed will be notified no later than Tuesday, May 17, 2022.
Pro: Yea, I can get off the computer and get back to working
Con: True, BUT I'm so fascinated with the discussion instead of constantly checking email I'm no constantly checking this form and Twitter for the convo  :-X >:D

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »
Everyone feels differently about things, a haunted hotel would be a selling point for me, lol
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott SD Downtown in 2018 and it was definitely haunted. It used to be a old bank in the 1920s and likely saw a lot of activity during the stock market crash. Apart from the lobby the rest of the hotel is stuck in the 1920s but not in a good way. Would never stay there again. I actually don't mind ghosts but the hotel was bad.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2022, 02:21:58 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Renamed thread from "SDCC 2022: Housing" to "SDCC 2022: Housing Options (Outside of the Official Hotel Block)."

Let's get ourselves a little bit more organized, especially now that hotel season is upon us. ^__~

Seeing how this thread was originally for people to post housing options or deals outside of the Comic-Con 2022 hotel block (and I see that people were still doing that on previous pages), it's time to clarify this in this thread title.  This is so things don't get too confusing between two very active hotel threads going on in the same sub-forum.

For general discussions related to the Comic-Con hotels (experiences, preferred hotels, hotel lottery, etc.), please kindly refer to the "SDCC 2022 Hotel Discussion" thread located here:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 02:27:46 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2022, 10:09:19 AM »
Has anyone stayed at the "Hotel Z - A Staypineapple Hotel" in the Gaslamp?  I had booked us two (refundable) rooms (for our group of 6) a few months ago when the prices were reasonable as a plan B, and depending on our hotel lotto results we may choose to keep it.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2022, 10:24:56 AM »
Someone outside of our normal group is wanting to look at AirBnB housing.  I have been hearing some harrowing experiences with folk who have had their hosts cancel on them.  I do not want to be a downer sour face, yet it just seems iffy.  This would be their first experience coming to SDCC, too.  She has had much success going this route for vacations but...Argh.  SDCC is a different animal, right?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
Someone outside of our normal group is wanting to look at AirBnB housing.  I have been hearing some harrowing experiences with folk who have had their hosts cancel on them.  I do not want to be a downer sour face, yet it just seems iffy.  This would be their first experience coming to SDCC, too.  She has had much success going this route for vacations but...Argh.  SDCC is a different animal, right?

Right!!!

I've heard some bad stories on the unofficial blog.  I have zero experience going that route, but if that's their choice, they might want to bring up the issue with the renter up front.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2022, 10:44:45 AM »
Has anyone stayed at the "Hotel Z - A Staypineapple Hotel" in the Gaslamp?  I had booked us two (refundable) rooms (for our group of 6) a few months ago when the prices were reasonable as a plan B, and depending on our hotel lotto results we may choose to keep it.

There's a review in the Hotel Reviews thread:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2022, 10:53:08 AM »

I've never used AirBnB but I have used VRBO for rentals during the Con and never had any issues (besides super higher pricing lol).

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »
I've never used AirBnB but I have used VRBO for rentals during the Con and never had any issues (besides super higher pricing lol).

Thanks!  That is good to hear.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2022, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks!  That is good to hear.

You're welcome! I've done rentals twice and both times everything was great. I just made sure they had a large amount of reviews and wasn't anything too new. I'm always leery of newer listings around Con time.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2022, 11:07:08 AM »

Based on my experience, I'll never go the airbnb route ever again and I advised against airbnb specifically for SDCC. In any other situation though, airbnb can be cheaper for a large group. I tried booking an Airbnb back in 2014. It was a terrible experience because the host turned out to be a scammer. I booked the airbnb months in advance. As CC got closer, I didn't hear anything from the host. I called and emailed the host, but still got no response. I escalated the matter to airbnb who investigated and turns out that the host was taking payments for properties she never owned and was ghosting guests. I got my money back, but by then it was already June and I had no lodging for CC. Fortunately there was plenty of hotels left outside of downtown.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2022, 11:14:14 AM »
Based on my experience, I'll never go the airbnb route ever again and I advised against airbnb specifically for SDCC. In any other situation though, airbnb can be cheaper for a large group. I tried booking an Airbnb back in 2014. It was a terrible experience because the host turned out to be a scammer. I booked the airbnb months in advance. As CC got closer, I didn't hear anything from the host. I called and emailed the host, but still got no response. I escalated the matter to airbnb who investigated and turns out that the host was taking payments for properties she never owned and was ghosting guests. I got my money back, but by then it was already June and I had no lodging for CC. Fortunately there was plenty of hotels left outside of downtown.

Wow...thank you!