Author Topic: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation  (Read 11283 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
SDCC 2022: Air Transportation
« on: December 17, 2021, 05:53:56 AM »
Southwest Airlines has opened SDCC dates.  I am hoping there will be more choices available from my location in the weeks ahead.  Pretty puny number of flights so far. In the past, more flights have been added, closer to our preferred travel dates, but these days... ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 09:00:16 AM »
thanks for the heads up!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:31:43 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »
Got mine booked!! Super excited to get back and see everyone!!!!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 01:55:50 PM »
Booked my flight, too! Thanks for the heads up! Just makes it seem more real! Keeping fingers and toes crossed that we can all get together next year.
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
in case anyone thinks they might have travel funds in Southwest

select flights
advance to the Who's flying? screen, scroll down to
Apply Travel Funds, LUV Vouchers, and gift cards -- open that up and select
See if you have unused funds in your account

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 09:05:34 PM »
Just looking for some information, I am looking at flights from San Diego to Melbourne (Australia) and at this stage there doesn't seem to be any direct flights from San Diego to Los Angeles on American Airlines, is this a change because of Covid or is it a more permanent one and do you think they might add some for SDCC?

Only looking at AA at the moment as QANTAS have some reward seats flying San Diego to Melbourne using AA.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:31:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just looking for some information, I am looking at flights from San Diego to Melbourne (Australia) and at this stage there doesn't seem to be any direct flights from San Diego to Los Angeles on American Airlines, is this a change because of Covid or is it a more permanent one and do you think they might add some for SDCC?

Only looking at AA at the moment as QANTAS have some reward seats flying San Diego to Melbourne using AA.

I just did a search and you're right, AA doesn't have anything direct from SAN to LAX.  I don't know if this is something new, but I doubt they'll add anything for such a short route.  You could always pay to fly a different airline to LAX, United has the best prices.  Or you could take a train, but that's a longer trip and you'll still need to get to LAX from the train station.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:25:53 AM »
With my recent travels the past 6 months I have found that more flights are canceled than added.  I think I only had one flight without a delay, which was insane luck as a lot were canceled that day.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:56:57 AM »

I doubt an airline would add routes just for a convention.  I've had to do the SAN-LAX run many times.  Unless it's priced into the fare of a bigger flight, say SAN-MEL, then it's not worth it to fly directly from SAN-LAX.  That short flight is not operated by the big airlines.  It's operated by a small regional carrier.  It's a code share for the bigger airlines.  It operates smaller regional planes out of the commuter terminal that's next to the big terminals.  It's expensive.  Right now though it is reasonable at $150.  In years before covid, I've seen it priced at $500.

So normally I took ground transport from SAN-LAX.  I don't know why there isn't a bus between SAN-LAX.  The closest thing is that Asiana runs it's own private shuttle between Kearny Mesa and LAX for people who fly on that airline.  In order of increasing cost and decreasing hassle the options are Greyhound bus, Amtrak train and private shuttle.

1. Greyhound can be really cheap when they have good pricing.  I've paid as little as a $1.  The station is in LA's skid row.  It is possible to walk to Union Station to catch the FlyAway bus to LAX.  It's not that far.  It's just a very scary walk since you'll have to walk through and out of skid row.  The other options are to take an Uber or the local bus.  Taking the local bus can take as long as walking since you have to wait for it and it's not a direct route.  I take the local bus to the closest Metro station and then take that to Union Station.  Then you can take the FlyAway bus to LAX for $10.  NOTE: The FlyAway bus ticket booth does not take cash.  They only take CC.  Which leaves a lot of visitors stranded.  I've had to be the ticket machine for a lot of people.  They pay me cash and then I buy a ticket for them with my CC.  I plan for at least 4 hours to get to LAX.

2. Taking Amtrak is about $35.  You get off at Union Station then take the FlyAway as above.  I plan for at least 3 hours to get to LAX.

3. Take a private car to LAX from SAN.  That's about $300.  If it's just you, it's not worth it.  If it's more than you then it's the same price or cheaper than flying.  Since the price is per car.  I plan for at least 2 hours to get to LAX.

There is another way.  You can take public transit all the way from SAN to LAX.  In Oceanside you'll have to hop off SD public transit and hop on LA public transit.  It's cheap but its really time consuming and the hours are limited.

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 05:52:04 PM »
Thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for the replies, it has given me some insight, and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thank you for that great breakdown it does give me some things to think about, now just to work out whats easier with 2 people and either 3 or 4 bits of luggage lol.

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 07:39:36 AM »
I doubt an airline would add routes just for a convention. 

They do, but it is more for business conventions. So they can expect full flights and all premium seats booked for cash. Something like SDCC they wouldn't be able to fill the planes so i doubt any would be added.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
They do, but it is more for business conventions. So they can expect full flights and all premium seats booked for cash. Something like SDCC they wouldn't be able to fill the planes so i doubt any would be added.

A route?  Not additional flights on an existing route.  A new route.  An airline cannot just decide to start flying a new route.  It has to be approved.  It can take years to add a route.  An airline may have to wait for an existing airline to fail or be abandoned before they can have it.

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:23 AM »
A route?  Not additional flights on an existing route.  A new route.  An airline cannot just decide to start flying a new route.  It has to be approved.  It can take years to add a route.  An airline may have to wait for an existing airline to fail or be abandoned before they can have it.

Air France and La Compagnie, which don’t ordinarily fly into McCarran, have also added flights.

Domestic airlines have also added international routes to and from McCarran, including American Airlines adding a Tokyo route, and Delta with additional flights to Amsterdam, Paris, South Korea, Tokyo, London, Taiwan, and China.

It does happen for the big business conventions, but not very many of them.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 04:26:46 PM »
Who wants to start FoCC Airlines?😁
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline sghov0106

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 10:00:52 PM »
southwest has some cheap flights from bay area, SJC to SAN is down to $49 now!!!!