Author Topic: SDCC 2022: FoCC Hotel Exchange  (Read 14617 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: SDCC 2022: FoCC Hotel Exchange
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2022, 01:45:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did basically the same thing, and then added something additional.
The first time I participated in a hotel exchange was in 2018.  My mistake then was not checking notifications in a timely basis.  Someone wanted to give me my first choice (MMM), but I didn't check notifications until the day after assignments went out.  By the time I saw it, the room was already gone.  I made note that for the next year, I would check notifications a LOT more.  Sure enough, for 2019, I did not get my first choice, but I had put in my preference in the exchange.  I set a timer on my phone to check notifications every 30 minutes, and BINGO, I got pinged that someone wanted to give me MMM (God Bless them).  I even remember where I was when the notification came thru.  I quickly let them know I wanted the room, and the rest is history. 
BTW...I did get a room at another hotel, and was able to give that room away.
Bless you locals that participate even though you don't need the room.  There's a special place in heaven for you.  :)

Thank you for sharing, this is exactly how we want the exchange to work, everyone helping each other.  I think every 30 mins is a great time to check for messages, though, I hope people would at least wait min. an hour.  As someone who gets stuck in hour-long meetings I know, it's hard for people at work.  We have discussed it in the hotel exchange process, it's hard to tell anyone what timely means.  Everyone has so many different factors going on in life. 

For anyone new I will say when those hotel emails go out, people are motivated and things start moving fast.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »
Also, if you have a room to offer, you want to get it transferred quickly, since there is a fast-approaching deadline to make the deposit. So when you message someone and don’t hear for hours, you have to move on.

The lesson is, turn on PM notifications on this site and check messages as frequently as you can over those 2 days.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:15:02 PM »

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
Glad Im not the only one making preparations in case an announcement comes as a surprise.  We spent yesterday refreshing our brains on it cuz 3 years is a long time   now that we're refreshed, ready to rock!!!  Bring it on!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2022, 08:44:31 PM »
I don't think fewer people are attending. Well over 90% of people rolled ovr their badges. That isn't really a reduction that anyone is going to notice.
Also another wrench to throw in is they had to make room & badges for kids that aren't child badge now.  My daughter should have had her last kids badge in 2020, now she will be 15 at this one.  Thankfully CCI made a plan for ones like her & we get to purchase a junior badge in May or June.  I emailed them earlier this year to ask and had to send them info.

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2022, 08:39:43 AM »
Anybody have an update on hotels yet.  I keep checking but I’m afraid I missed something.

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »
Anybody have an update on hotels yet.  I keep checking but I’m afraid I missed something.

All is quiet. I am thinking that once Wondercon is done...things will pop.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2022, 09:38:15 AM »
The update is that early bird hotels are open.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »
All is quiet. I am thinking that once Wondercon is done...things will pop.

I agree, I think it was the confidence needed for people to see they were really holding cons in 2022

Offline magicalme7

• Sails Pavilion
    • Follow me on IG
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2022, 07:31:08 PM »
Definitely hoping to participate this year.

Offline magicalme7

• Sails Pavilion
    • Follow me on IG
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2022, 07:38:52 PM »
Also another wrench to throw in is they had to make room & badges for kids that aren't child badge now.  My daughter should have had her last kids badge in 2020, now she will be 15 at this one.  Thankfully CCI made a plan for ones like her & we get to purchase a junior badge in May or June.  I emailed them earlier this year to ask and had to send them info.

I am wondering what will happen with this. My son was a junior badge back when we bought the passes and now he is an adult so wondering how that will be handled.

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »
I am wondering what will happen with this. My son was a junior badge back when we bought the passes and now he is an adult so wondering how that will be handled.
I don't think jr to adult is as big of an issue. My son back in the day turned 18 right after a sale but still went on his jr badge no problem.  If worried, I would shoot off an email to cci & ask they were ptretty responsive

Offline OnePromise

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 59
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 12:27:47 PM »
Its been so long since I checked into FoCC that I need a refresher....what does it mean to be "active" in order to participate in the hotel exchange/give away?  I have always just given hotel rooms away, but figure that at some point maybe the exchange will come into play for me.  Just preparing! Thanks for the info in advance.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 12:47:39 PM »
Its been so long since I checked into FoCC that I need a refresher....what does it mean to be "active" in order to participate in the hotel exchange/give away?  I have always just given hotel rooms away, but figure that at some point maybe the exchange will come into play for me.  Just preparing! Thanks for the info in advance.

Sounds like it's already in play if you have been giving rooms away :)  Building lots of good con Karma.  I had someone the other day thank me for offering them a room 5 years ago.  I love how much this community helps each other and truly appreciates it when someone helps them.

Offline takit0

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2022, 01:13:31 PM »
I think I’m ready, but let’s see if I remember how to do this when it counts.
2023: SDCC & Fantastic Fest
2024: ...

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2022, 09:14:33 AM »
While it may not be alot, chances seems to be better at getting a hotel this year during the lottery (if there is one).