Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Hotel Discussion  (Read 57911 times)

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
Re: SDCC 2022 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2022, 08:29:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I’ve stayed there a few times and it’s always like that. I was there again this year and I’m over it, won’t be going back. No one was rude to me but that’s probably only bc I have stayed there enough to “know my place” and follow their rules. It doesn’t feel nice to be treated that way. There are a lot of other hotels, several just as close to the convention center, and all of them offer  better amenities to con goers, I’ll be giving them my business instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking for the right words but your right I think I didn't "know my place". I also didn't do enough research about others past experiences like I normally would have because this was my first con since the pandemic. I've stayed at MMM, MGH, courtyard marriott and Westin, they were all good experiences (except the courtyard was haunted but thats for another day). I guess I am shocked how this hotel being of moderate quality can get away with treating people like this (their rooms are dated and were probably new 20 years ago). I now at least know it wasn't just me. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #1006 on: July 25, 2022, 09:35:38 PM »
I was looking for the right words but your right I think I didn't "know my place". I also didn't do enough research about others past experiences like I normally would have because this was my first con since the pandemic. I've stayed at MMM, MGH, courtyard marriott and Westin, they were all good experiences (except the courtyard was haunted but thats for another day). I guess I am shocked how this hotel being of moderate quality can get away with treating people like this (their rooms are dated and were probably new 20 years ago). I now at least know it wasn't just me. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I've always thought the noise level was the top reason to avoid the Hard Rock, but it seems your experience reinforced that it wasn't the right pick for my Con experience. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! I've stayed at the MGH past years, and this year at the Hilton Gaslamp. Both had their pros and cons, but definitely were stays I'd easily recommend to most people. Hard Rock seems like a coin-flip at this rate.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1007 on: Today at 05:12:20 AM »

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2022, 07:25:30 AM »
Oh ok! I just didn't want to leave a long rant of a post lol. It's was just generally a bad experience at that hotel where the only good thing I can say about the hotel was that it was close to the con center. I can share a few highlights.
It started even before I checked in. I drove there and it was an adventure to get to valet. They didn't believe me that i was staying there. I had my email, reservation but i figured they were just being strict.Than upon check in they wanted to charge $25 a day for wifi and amenities like the pool, gym, 207 lounge etc. All those amenities are closed because some celebrities are staying there and some of those have been reserved for parties. I tild her that too and front desk agent just laughed. I have their rewards program and the front desk agent said she never heard of the program when i mentioned it to her. Her manager came and said the rewards program doesn't do anything . I am like ok well thanks for letting me know. Also we weren't allowed to wait in the lobby. I was waiting for a friend for dinner and the hotel staff said I can't wait in the lobby and sent me to my room. She says go back upstairs or wait outside! I've never stayed at a hotel where the lobby is forbidden to wait in. Day 2 I was only allowed to use 1 elevator because the other 2 were just for celebrities. I thought ok whatever but than the day of EW party they wouldn't me use any of the elevators to get to my room on the 7th floor. They told me to go to the other end of the hotel and use those or take the stairs. When I tried to take the car out they said they weren't taking valet calls because of the party. So I paid 50 a night to have my car trapped behind celebrities cars. Checkout time came and I asked for bell service and no one came. Called again and the guy said oh we forgot we are busy. At this point I just want to leave and get my car from valet but plot twist they aren't 0taking valet calls. So me and my group go downstairs finally get a guy to find our car. 3 trips up and down to get our stuff in the car. I should mentioned that I tried to checked out like 5 times and never got my bill. I finally get a txt 3 hours later saying I checked out. I will never stay at the Hardrock again. I will say that most people staying there were industry people but the hotel needs to decide if they want to be a celebrity hotel like The Pendry or a half assed hotel experience for us regular folks.
Edit to add that the hotel was insanely noisy at all times of the day! You know your hotel stay was bad when the noise level wasn't even the worst thing about the stay. And l never received my hotel folio. I emailed them already.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, that's horrible :(
I actually had a good experience there everyone was nice to me I even got free drinks at both bars met some cool ppl,
I was able to use all elevators, and yeah the noise was kinda bad in the morning but I just put headphones on.
I saw some ppl just hanging out in the lobby at a table charging their phones idk why they told you to go to your room that sux.
I was walking to my room late when some ppl from the EW party invited me to an after party that was nice and fun!
Again I'm sorry you had a bad time there :(

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2022, 11:14:26 AM »
This is a little early, but the Horton Grand has rooms available for the SDCC dates next year. Booking through Hotels.com allows you to pay at the hotel as well, no pre-pay needed.

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2022, 12:59:00 PM »
This is a little early, but the Horton Grand has rooms available for the SDCC dates next year. Booking through Hotels.com allows you to pay at the hotel as well, no pre-pay needed.

Did the Horton Grand have events this year? Normally I hear about the Theatre hosting a few Comic-Con related offerings.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #1010 on: July 26, 2022, 02:22:45 PM »
That is great, unfortunately with only 1 queen bed in the rooms it won’t work for me and my family but for a single person or couple this would be awesome. No worries for next year hotel
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #1011 on: July 26, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
Did the Horton Grand have events this year? Normally I hear about the Theatre hosting a few Comic-Con related offerings.
No. One of my volunteer assignments was holding a sign that said limited signings and Horton. I asked my supervisor about it, and he said there wasn't anything there and they were just using old signs. Someone asked me who "Horton" was.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #1012 on: July 26, 2022, 03:06:01 PM »

It certainly wasn’t just you. While not rude, I found them to be quite unhelpful and disorganized when I stayed there.  I can certainly see the celeb appeal, but I’d rather stay at the Marriott and HBF.

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1013 on: July 26, 2022, 04:13:35 PM »
It certainly wasn’t just you. While not rude, I found them to be quite unhelpful and disorganized when I stayed there.  I can certainly see the celeb appeal, but I’d rather stay at the Marriott and HBF.
Now that I've had time to reflect, I just chalk up the whole thing as a learning experience albeit a not so pleasant one. I still had fun at the con and it was cool to be in elevators with celebs(for like 5 mins) but like you,I would prefer the MMM or other better hotels and a nice hotel stay. Hopefully my experience can help others in the future.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:15:47 PM by kamisbutterfly »

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1014 on: July 26, 2022, 04:18:28 PM »
The MGH has all room types available for 2023 but its pricey at $1700 a night. Just throwing that out there.

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #1015 on: July 26, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »
I stayed there a few years ago but I had a friend stay there this year and she was charged $15 to replace her misplaced key card

Yup that happened to me on Saturday night. I had a complete melt down. Broke down and cried. It wasn’t so much about the dang money it had to do with not being able to use the elevator. I have issues walking and bad knees so all I wanted to do was just go to my room and finish working. I had been so excited to stay at the Hard Rock but no way in Hades will I ever stay there again. I was exhausted from doing press rooms so it was the last straw with losing my key. I had been in the same press rooms as some of the celebs so I was tired of being treated as not worthy in HR’s eyes to use the same elevator as they were using. (Yah I know petty) At least a few guards took pity on me when they saw the ADA sticker on my badge and would let me use it.

The biggest issue that I had was the actual room I was assigned. Mind you I was super happy with the location. Arrived on Monday way ahead of the crowds. The room I was given was on the second floor #230. It was directly above the loading dock. Not an issue until preview night all the way through Saturday. Trucks would unload directly under us and outside on the street from 8 pm through 3 am sometimes. I knew the hotel would be noisy but this was way too much. The bed was super comfy but it was hard to stay asleep. The hallway outside our room also was a main way for the staff to cut through so we could hear the security detail radios at 4:59 am every day of the con. I will write a review on the hotel thread soon. Just wanted to chime in and give a warning to any that might get stuck with the same room we had. It is definitely a party hotel and they do value the celebrities. Just wish they also valued those of us who are actually paying for the room and not a studio with deep pockets. Location was great so that was a positive.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #1016 on: July 26, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
I stayed there a few years ago but I had a friend stay there this year and she was charged $15 to replace her misplaced key card

That is pretty stinky. Never been charged for a key replacement at other hotels. I wonder if it’s because you have to show your key to get in, they’re trying to dissuade you from selling your key or having more people in your room but $15 isn’t really a barrier to either. Idk.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1017 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
The MGH has all room types available for 2023 but its pricey at $1700 a night. Just throwing that out there.

Two things...

1.  I hope you do put your review of the Hard Rock on the hotel review thread

2.  Do we have dates for next year.  I want to see what MMM is charging.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #1018 on: July 26, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »
Next years dates are one day shifted from this year (starting 7/19 for preview night, ending sunday 7/23).

Also hot tip for people who's blackout shades don't fully close and need complete darkness for sleep (like my vampire of a wife). Take one of the pants hangers that are almost always provided in hotels and use it to clip the blinds closed. We've done it multiple years and it's a really good tip.

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1019 on: July 26, 2022, 09:58:31 PM »
Yup that happened to me on Saturday night. I had a complete melt down. Broke down and cried. It wasn’t so much about the dang money it had to do with not being able to use the elevator. I have issues walking and bad knees so all I wanted to do was just go to my room and finish working. I had been so excited to stay at the Hard Rock but no way in Hades will I ever stay there again. I was exhausted from doing press rooms so it was the last straw with losing my key. I had been in the same press rooms as some of the celebs so I was tired of being treated as not worthy in HR’s eyes to use the same elevator as they were using. (Yah I know petty) At least a few guards took pity on me when they saw the ADA sticker on my badge and would let me use it.

The biggest issue that I had was the actual room I was assigned. Mind you I was super happy with the location. Arrived on Monday way ahead of the crowds. The room I was given was on the second floor #230. It was directly above the loading dock. Not an issue until preview night all the way through Saturday. Trucks would unload directly under us and outside on the street from 8 pm through 3 am sometimes. I knew the hotel would be noisy but this was way too much. The bed was super comfy but it was hard to stay asleep. The hallway outside our room also was a main way for the staff to cut through so we could hear the security detail radios at 4:59 am every day of the con. I will write a review on the hotel thread soon. Just wanted to chime in and give a warning to any that might get stuck with the same room we had. It is definitely a party hotel and they do value the celebrities. Just wish they also valued those of us who are actually paying for the room and not a studio with deep pockets. Location was great so that was a positive.

I am so sorry you had to go through all that. I feel your pain. It's just a horrible feeling being treated as lesser. I feel like the Hardrock should just be like the Pendry and only be for industry people.