Author Topic: How do I transfer a couple of rooms in a block of rooms?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
How do I transfer a couple of rooms in a block of rooms?
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
I'd be shocked if anyone gets a downtown hotel in the May 10th email releases.  I had two member IDs in two browsers and the opened almost instantly and only one sent me hotels.  Has anyone tried sharing an un-needed room yet?  I am asking because OnPeak is NOT letting us transfer reservations like they used to.  For example:  I have 5 rooms at the Kona Kai and our group is going to use three of them, and two are up for grabs, but in order to have separate reservations, we ALL have to be in on the phone call with OnPeak with our credit cards so OnPeak can apply the different cards to the different rooms.  That is NOT how I remember doing it before...or do I still have Covid brain fog?

moved from the looking for rooms thread & re named -- admin aly
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 06:36:40 PM by alyssa »

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd be shocked if anyone gets a downtown hotel in the May 10th email releases.  I had two member IDs in two browsers and the opened almost instantly and only one sent me hotels.  Has anyone tried sharing an un-needed room yet?  I am asking because OnPeak is NOT letting us transfer reservations like they used to.  For example:  I have 5 rooms at the Kona Kai and our group is going to use three of them, and two are up for grabs, but in order to have separate reservations, we ALL have to be in on the phone call with OnPeak with our credit cards so OnPeak can apply the different cards to the different rooms.  That is NOT how I remember doing it before...or do I still have Covid brain fog?

Prepare to be shocked because people have been assigned DT rooms during the second wave in past years. Yes, a very gracious member here offered me a room from their 5 room block. She had to share a login to the OnPeak page so that we could change the info and provide a cc # for our assigned room. This type of sensitivity is why only certain members get access to the official exchange. It makes sense why OP would need all of party on the call with them. One person calling with more than one credit card # that isn't in their name is a huge breach of security.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: How do I transfer a couple of rooms in a block of rooms?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:12:10 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 07:30:14 PM »
They've definitely made it more difficult this year.  And generally there are very few downtown hotels in Round 2.  A few, but not many.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 07:32:04 PM »
I received a room from a block last night without having to do a phone call to OnPeak with all 5 of us, so there are ways to do it, but you need to be very organized. The block manager arranged for a time for the 5 of us (she was taking one herself) to be on Zoom voice meeting together. It did however involve a lot of personal identifying information said aloud and us being okay with the others hearing it, but we were able to enter our credit cards ourselves on our own screens without sharing that information. In order for OP to not potentially screw up charging the rooms to the wrong card/one card being charged for multiple rooms, you all have to do it at roughly the same time. There was still a slight chance it could've screwed up too, but luckily it didn't.

As the block manager, you can assign individual rooms out to other people using their name, email, and such and then there are steps each new individual room holder needs to do (they need to validate an account using the email you assigned for the room etc. after you send the email confirmation) However, everyone receiving a room needs to do that AND enter their room's personal payment pretty quickly after that happens or you risk the main card being charged for any room that doesn't already have payment listed from another source. It can be a bit confusing to find everything too.

You also run the risk of someone's card declining (for whatever reason, even if they messed up a digit or something) and it defaulting to the main card. Once it defaults to the main card, and that card also has the credit for it, it's too late. You can't get OP to refund a deposit and recharge a different card anymore. At that point, you're dependent on paypal/venmo/wise/zelle direct money transfers to make up the difference.

Like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login said, even the way we got to do it requires a lot of trust and in general it takes a lot of trust to transfer a room. The OG holder's personal info usually stays with that reservation, even with block rooms, the entire way through which is why I made sure my friend knew in advance that her personal info would be there the entire time after giving away the room she'd gotten and we weren't using.

There are definitely going to be DT hotels released on the 10th though and there will be ones for the diligent after it opens to the waitlist.

I WILL confirm that they make it more difficult/challenging to transfer a room to an entirely different/unrelated person every year. It seems that every year they restrict one other detail that you used to be able to change on your own.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:45:32 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 07:49:35 PM »
I received a room from a block last night without having to do a phone call to OnPeak with all 5 of us, so there are ways to do it, but you need to be very organized. The block manager arranged for a time for the 5 of us (she was taking one herself) to be on Zoom voice meeting together. It did however involve a lot of personal identifying information said aloud and us being okay with the others hearing it, but we were able to enter our credit cards ourselves on our own screens without sharing that information. In order for OP to not potentially screw up charging the rooms to the wrong card/one card being charged for multiple rooms, you all have to do it at roughly the same time. There was still a slight chance it could've screwed up too, but luckily it didn't.

As the block manager, you can assign individual rooms out to other people using their name, email, and such and then there are steps each new individual room holder needs to do (they need to validate an account using the email you assigned for the room etc. after you send the email confirmation) However, everyone receiving a room needs to do that AND enter their room's personal payment pretty quickly after that happens or you risk the main card being charged for any room that doesn't already have payment listed from another source. It can be a bit confusing to find everything too.

You also run the risk of someone's card declining (for whatever reason, even if they messed up a digit or something) and it defaulting to the main card. Once it defaults to the main card, and that card also has the credit for it, it's too late. You can't get OP to refund a deposit and recharge a different card anymore. At that point, you're dependent on paypal/venmo/wise/zelle direct money transfers to make up the difference.

Like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login said, even the way we got to do it requires a lot of trust and in general it takes a lot of trust to transfer a room. The OG holder's personal info usually stays with that reservation, even with block rooms, the entire way through which is why I made sure my friend knew in advance that her personal info would be there the entire time after giving away the room she'd gotten and we weren't using.

There are definitely going to be DT hotels released on the 10th though and there will be ones for the diligent after it opens to the waitlist.

I WILL confirm that they make it more difficult/challenging to transfer a room to an entirely different/unrelated person every year. It seems that every year they restrict one other detail that you used to be able to change on your own.

Sounds like you had a pretty good block manager.  I might even say near perfect! 

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:01:24 PM »
There are some downtown hotels in Round 2, because they will re-allocate any rooms that got canceled/not deposited from Round 1. I'm not saying that there will be a lot, but there will be some.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:38:22 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 11:41:24 PM »
Thank you for all of the insights.  I am trying to wrangle our group to lock down the rooms we DO have available to us tomorrow night and not wait until the last minute Friday night.  Fortunately we all know each other and can trust each other with our cc numbers, but I agree, a zoom like call, or a chat is needed and our two newbies are not understanding how this works and I knew that this year OP was making it more difficult.  I had a great transaction transfer from a FOCC member three years ago that did not involve my sharing my CC with her...she just added my name to the room, then gave me the PW for the reservation and I picked it up at my end. OP seems to want it all done in one transaction and that's what seems to me to be the difference.  I still want to go ahead and reserve the rooms we were offered because a bird in the hand...and then if by a miracle a more appealing room happens in round two, it might be worth losing that 3% fee.  I really do not like Zoom, so I will encourage a messenger group chat and get OnPeak on the phone.  Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 06:08:48 AM »
What we discovered in setting ours up yesterday was just adding names & emails to rooms and sending confirmation however, the confirmation doesn't really make it clear.  There is a small link that says "view detailed summary" and clicking on that will have the person create their own account and gain access to manage their room including adding their own payment info.  It would need to be added quickly though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 06:54:25 AM »
Oh thank you for that info!  That is more help than OP gave me.  I will look for that link.  I started to explore the confirmation page on the 3rd and was routed directly to a payment screen so I braked on that to wait until my group made up their minds.  I will look for that link as that sounds more like the old way we used to do this.  I so love this forum and am grateful for those who set it up, maintain it and contribute. 

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 06:56:47 AM »
Oh thank you for that info!  That is more help than OP gave me.  I will look for that link.  I started to explore the confirmation page on the 3rd and was routed directly to a payment screen so I braked on that to wait until my group made up their minds.  I will look for that link as that sounds more like the old way we used to do this.  I so love this forum and am grateful for those who set it up, maintain it and contribute.
Don't get me wrong I still had to put my card in first before assigning lol  but once we got all the rooms set and cards entered, they charged about an hour later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:25:09 PM »
Again, that is very helpful, now I understand why I didn't get to that link yet.