Author Topic: 2022 Hotel Request Thread (for members not eligible for the exchange)  (Read 9270 times)

Offline kneque

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 14
I have a room to offer up at the Westin San Diego (non-Gaslamp that’s about a mile away)

Two beds, quad occupancy

Check-in on Wed and check-out on Sun

Edit: Room no longer available
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:58:53 AM by kneque »

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
Hello fellow FOCC, due to the more awkward method of the reservation process this year, and the 3% surcharge (non-refundable and non-transferable) service fee that OnPeak hit us with for each reservation, our group released 6 Kona Kai rooms back to the Lottery and so some lucky recipients will receive those rooms.  We had three extra double bed and three single king rooms.  OnPeak requires a TWO night min deposit, so that's a $600-$800 hit depending on your hotel including that 3% fee, and we just were not in the financial position to front those kinds of deposits and fees.  I am so sorry we could not do that for others, but again, those 6 rooms are now back in the lottery.  If my other login (that was within seconds of my winning lottery login) gets me a room, I will post IMMEDIATELY here to see if anyone is willing to throw in with our group and join us for a messenger chat and I will help you get a room.
Good luck to you all on the 10th.  One more thing, if I recall correctly, in the past, one could place a deposit on each room, and then help another Con goer by sharing the login and then let them change the reservation over to them with their credit card.  OnPeak decided they didn't like that (this is me guessing) and that is what this 3% surcharge is about.  Petty.  Just Petty.  $20 x 5 adds up there, ya know?

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
You can always give the room to someone else prior to putting down a credit card. Let the recipient do that and pay the extra 3% instead.
Once they secure the room, have them change the name on the room over to themself.

It is a lot more complex when dealing with room blocks as the block owner will need to put a credit card down for the entire block. Then each recipient of the individual rooms will need to add their own payment method in a timely fashion in order to prevent the block's owner from being charged for the room.

The whole process takes quite a bit of trust amongst everyone involved.

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
Can you give a step by step on how to do that?  I am asking in case I get another lottery win. See, I tried to do that, but this is how it worked this year.  I received a notice that my lottery was chosen.  I was given a login that took me to the first step that asks for a credit card.  Nothing is charged at this point, however a Credit Card is required to go through the door so to speak to get to the screen that shows me my five rooms.  This is where I can change the names of those being assigned to a room and select a new credit card to pay for the deposit for each individual room.  This is also where the 3% is charged Per room.  Memory says I used to be able to purchase the rooms I wanted and then Go back in (within the time allotted, in this case, we had 4 days) to purchase the rest of the rooms and this is where we could share the login data with another user to give those rooms away.  This year, once we hit proceed, we were done.  Fini.  So, you either bought all five rooms, or deleted the ones you didn't want.  If I somehow missed a step, or did this wrong, I would welcome someone showing me how I could have done this differently. 

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
I think you got it right for a block of rooms. You would need to coordinate everyone to put in their payment info at the same time, otherwise the block owner could get charged for each remaining room. I think onPeak used to give you until the end of the day to get everyone's info entered, but this year it was a very short time frame.

I didn't end up transferring any room blocks this year, so I didn't need to deal with this change.

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
Exactly, and thus, it was impossible for me to share the karma here and help out those who needed rooms.  It stinks because we had 6 rooms to give away and this forum is one of the best ways for those who are in need of a room to find one.  This forum came to my rescue twice and I wanted so much to give back, but OnPeak made it impossible.  I will engage more in other discussions throughout the year in the hope that I will earn a seat at the table for the locked group where room trades can be made with more confidence, or maybe next year OnPeak won't be such petty pills about this.  Given the limited time, and the potential for fraud, and the need to REALLY trust someone, it was impossible to help others out.   On one other note, I see that some of the hotels have NOT surrendered their entire inventory to the lottery. tsk tsk tsk.  A search on Booking.com last week had quite a few in the Gaslamp with rooms avail, at very high prices. 

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exactly, and thus, it was impossible for me to share the karma here and help out those who needed rooms.  It stinks because we had 6 rooms to give away and this forum is one of the best ways for those who are in need of a room to find one.  This forum came to my rescue twice and I wanted so much to give back, but OnPeak made it impossible.  I will engage more in other discussions throughout the year in the hope that I will earn a seat at the table for the locked group where room trades can be made with more confidence, or maybe next year OnPeak won't be such petty pills about this.  Given the limited time, and the potential for fraud, and the need to REALLY trust someone, it was impossible to help others out.   On one other note, I see that some of the hotels have NOT surrendered their entire inventory to the lottery. tsk tsk tsk.  A search on Booking.com last week had quite a few in the Gaslamp with rooms avail, at very high prices.

It's always been this way. CCI doesn't have a complete monopoly on the hotel's rooms and it kind of makes sense. The numbers are pre-negotiated in like... 3 year contracts I believe? So, you'll always see rooms outside the SDCC blocks up every year.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I had the same experience you did.  I've done this before, and this year was extra stressful.  I know in the past I was able to enter my credit card and give away the rest of the rooms throughout the day before my card was charged that night.  This year it charged within an hour.  Fortunately I was transferring rooms to people I know personally and they were comfortable sending me the deposit via Paypal, so it all worked out.

Offline vpoulsen

• Exhibit Hall
Thank you You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, because I was beginning to think I was missing something. 

Offline AndyBehbakht

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
Hi! I am press that needs a room with me and three of my colleagues at Hilton Bayfront for Work Purposes! I sadly don't have a room to trade, but any help would be seriously appreciated!

Looking For: Hilton Bayfront Room

Type Of Room Needed: Any Type Works.¨

Thank you!

Andy

Offline T3hshultzie

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
Hey All, looking to trade

Have Manchester Grand Hyatt - 2 Beds Wed-Sun

Looking for Any downtown Marriott - 2 beds (Marriott Gaslamp preferred)

Thanks all!

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
Struck out on a downtown hotel.

Looking: any downtown hotel within walking distance. I have a party of 4 and need 2 beds. We'll be in town from Wednesday to Sunday. Any help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I was able to get a room from one of our awesome members. Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:10:59 AM by justboogie »
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline ToryRoxx

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
Was given a hotel 4 miles away at the airport. We need a room downtown San diego as I have my handicapped mother with me. We are looking to stay Wednesday to Monday.  Please if anyone has anything please help 🙏🏽

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:25:30 PM by ToryRoxx »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
I have two extra rooms to offer:

Springhill Suites San Diego Downtown/Bayfront
1.00 miles to Event
1 King Bed + Sofa Sleeper Suite - Quad Occupancy

Wyndham San Diego Bayside
1.23 miles to Event Location
2 Dbl Beds City View - Quad Occupancy

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:30:58 AM by stl_ben »

Offline calpolo17

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
Looks like we struck out. :'(  Would be interested in a downtown hotel if anyone has an extra available.

We've provided extra reservations to this forum in previous years so hoping someone can pay it forward.  8)

We are attending Wed-Sunday and have a youngster with us.