Author Topic: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all  (Read 6767 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all
« on: July 25, 2022, 10:38:09 AM »
it took me 20 min's just to get out of bed, I was so stiff this morning

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:36:15 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Post con Reactions, etc all
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:23:01 AM »
Aw luckily I took the day off work and slept in then cleaned the bathroom and kitchen. Now doing tons of laundry. Still have to put away all my purchases and swag.  I booked a massage for later. I’m stiff too.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:33:02 AM »

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »
i had an AMAZING time at SDCC this year. 2019 was going to be my final SDCC too. But after just going Thursday and Sunday, and of course fundays. I can't wait to get my 4 day badge for next year.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
it took me an 20 min's just to get out of bed, I was so stiff

Join the club. The little earthquake helped me to get up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 01:23:38 PM »
I don't think I slept long enough to have the muscles get stiff :D

This SDCC was all about the art this year and it did not disappoint...commissions and artist original art were top notch. I attended a few panels, and they were all well done, but the art is the standout for me.

Well, that and meeting Keanu Reeves :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 01:47:22 PM »
I set a budget for commissions and wound up buying no art (I have zero wall space left in my house and have decided to save up big bucks for a Bill Sienkiewicz painting - even if it takes me a while).

Loved the panels I attended - since I was with my nephew, we wound up at some I wouldn't have done if I was on my own, and they turned out to be highlights.

The Severance off-site was amazing. They set a really high bar for years to come.

As usual, my favorite exhibitors to chat with and buy from were Small Press. I wound up with a nice pile of books...

And of course, the greatest thing about SDCC 2022 was the interactions with fellow attendees. Conversations in lines, at booths, and just hanging around in between panels was thoroughly enjoyable. I loved it when our fandoms intersected, and often even more when they diverged. It's great to hear someone wax enthusiastically about something I hardly know. It's a big world. And SDCC is inclusive enough for us all. Gotta respect (and adore) that.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »
It will take me some time to recover, but I am so glad I worked on getting my step count up before the Con - it definitely helped me.

We took a super chill approach, and it really worked for us (well, we did book it from Hall H before Funko ended, to avoid a line at MGH 😅) We did only a handful of panels, and I think we chose well (and took the right approach most times). Only minor bummer was not getting the Target pins (I only got Thursday's) I only bought one thing on the floor (we really didn't go around too much), and I bought it PN - was so nice to get it out of the way quickly (It was the pin set from Nickelodeon)
I only did one activation - Ghosts, and it was so worth it. It was fun, and the swag was worth it. We had a great time - missed having the WB/DC (and Cartoon Network) on the floor, and the floor swag was very limited - it seems harder than ever to get into the big booths, but we didn't let it bother us. (In past years, we could get into at least one with only a bit of stalking) At least Fox Animation had a daily Krapopolis button to replace the daily Cartoon Network buttons that we used to love collecting. We will check out the show, too.

I did continue the tradition of buying an exclusive online while walking towards the pedestrian bridge - always seems to happen (it was Mattel). And I managed to get all the Pops I wanted through the online sale (and the Loungefly bag I wanted)

Although my ankles don't feel that it was that chill...
Ang

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 04:21:32 PM »
After TurkeyCon and Wondercon I was very skeptical if this was going to be any good. I have to admit it was pretty great. I missed some of my favorite companies that didn't show but it still felt like the real Comic Con. I can't wait for next year.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »
I felt like inside the exhibit hall was lackluster. My favorite thing about comic con besides panels is the experiences you cannot have anywhere else. Besides the lil Monster High game everything else felt like a store. Even the Marvel booth seemed quiet (giveaway hr non withstanding). Was excited for Netflix and Disney+ and the first one was a mess and the second a store. I missed WB/DC. After roaming around for a few hrs I was done with it which I found kinda sad. Masking rules were very well enforced imo and I hardly saw anyone maskless indoors anywhere.

I loved loved loved the offsites. Did everything except Gray Man, DBZ, Nintendo Switch and Bob's Burgers/Multiverse of Madness. FX was fun and quick, I liked how streamlined it was. Disney+ was lots of fun with great swag, kinda wish I had gone back for an Arcadian mug. HotD was really cool and yet the line management made it almost unbearable. Severance was amazing and prob the most immersive offsite I've ever participated in. The DBZ concert was super fun even for us who don't really know that show. Abbott Elementary was cute and gave lots of nice swag, I used that bag all thru con. Prey screening was also a highlight for us and my predator loving dad. WD party was amazing too, wish I could have stayed a bit longer, alas Hall H NDL called. Ghosts was also very cool even if the palm reading line was ridiculous, I blame that one girl who stayed sited there for 15 min straight.

Did Hall H Saturday for the first time and enjoyed it. That line was a disaster, we were there for wristbands for more than 2 hrs and we weren't even that far back and yet still got Cs, very weird. Sunday Hall H was also a disaster right when the panels actually started, so glad for ADA or we wouldn't have made it.

Overall I had a great time and will gladly go back next year. I did/got 90% of the things in my list so it felt like a successful con. BUT, most of the problems like line management seemed like could have been avoided with more planning and better enforcing. I get that there was staff turnover and things out of their control but it was waaay to messy. Really hoping the exhibit hall comes back next year with better stuff, or well, maybe not cause that way I won't feel FOMO if I'm outside doing offsites instead like I didn't feel it his year. 

PS. Their IT system is horrible, I feel so bad for the volunteer manager who had to deal with it.

TLDR. The best part of comic con was the parts outside of comic con (Hall H not included)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:13:41 PM by Karin »

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 06:06:28 PM »
This was my wife and I's first real outing outside our house since lockdown 2020 so there was a lot of nervousness about it but we prepared as much as we could (got our second boosters 2 week prior and took as many precautions as we could). We did do WCA in spring but being LA residents, that's just a quick trip down the 5 and we never stayed past like 3 for it.

I as well budgeted a very large amount for artist commissions and spent a small fraction of that on two pieces (one was setup prior to con, the other was just a drop in).

I spent about an hour or two in the hall every morning but started get a little anxiety as the floor filled up. It was great seeing so much compliance for masking even if I saw a bunch of dicknosers and chin diapers, the vast majority of people were wearing properly indoors.

I didn't many panels but I did at least see every offsite. The one thing that honestly surprised me the most this year was the quality of the offsite swag. Syfy and peacock gave out quality cloth bags instead of the usual cheap vinyl. Dr Squach was giving out full bars of like $10 soap outside. Marvel gave out full 1.5 lb bags of pistachios. And this is just straight hand outs on the street, not even including the stuff given out inside of actual installations.

Also the weather was some of the best I've seen at a con in the 10 plus years I've been going. Absolutely perfect all weekend.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 06:10:29 PM »
As a TV-focused person, I found the TV panels to be in short supply this year.  Some that would have been in Ballroom 20 in other years ended up in Hall H and I couldn't get in due to lack of commitment to lining up early.  I also attended two TV panels that were "virtual" because the cast didn't show up (Rookie and Abbott Elementary).

Overall, I attended fewer panels than the typical year.  I did get into the Ten Forward thing and my friend and I had some nice dinners in the Gaslamp.  I also scored an invitation to the EW party, which was fun.

On the positive side, I found the floor to be more manageable than usual and I bought more stuff than I usually do because I could actually see the merchandise and approach the booths.

This was my 21st Comic-con and, for the first time, I am not sure I'll go next year.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 06:22:47 PM »
Ghosts was also very cool even if the palm reading line was ridiculous, I blame that one girl who stayed sited there for 15 min straight.
Tell me about it! We didn't even stay in that line - it took way too long. We got enough badges in the other activities to get a cup and a whistle (I had one extra, but gave it away) They should have re-thought that one.
Glad that the photo op gave you two more if you posted on SNS - we got four that way (plus the one each just for taking the picture)
Ang

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 07:12:33 PM »
Tell me about it! We didn't even stay in that line - it took way too long. We got enough badges in the other activities to get a cup and a whistle (I had one extra, but gave it away) They should have re-thought that one.
Glad that the photo op gave you two more if you posted on SNS - we got four that way (plus the one each just for taking the picture)

We totally skipped it too. I just wanted the mug, so I took like 3 dif pictures with my group and re did the arrow shooting like twice. Tarot reading was on point so it was kinda freaky  ??? haha.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:01 PM »
We totally skipped it too. I just wanted the mug, so I took like 3 dif pictures with my group and re did the arrow shooting like twice. Tarot reading was on point so it was kinda freaky  ??? haha.
I really want those Tarot cards! It was pretty on point, but probably universally so.
The cup was what I was after, too. I originally also got the arrow thing, but DH reminded me that I wouldn't probably be able to get on a plane with it (we don't check bags) It wasn't branded anyway - they were super nice and let me go back in and trade it in for the whistle, and gave me the extra one to give away (I stopped at the entry and flagged down one of the workers). The lady at the redemption counter laughed, but agreed.
Ang

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 09:36:18 PM »
At times it looked like only 2/3s of a past SDCC showed up. The con was great though, with only two low points.
1- Someone in our room tested positive on Saturday, which pretty much made the last night and ride home suck.
2- FedEx is a scam.

I didn't get home till around 730 PM last night after a 9 hour long drive in the heat (couldn't close windows and turn AC on cuz a passenger had covid). Took a shower when I got home and spent the next 4 hours unpacking and packing/printing orders/packages. I was falling asleep, but kept pushing myself to finish. Eventually I had to tell myself to stop and not tire myself out too much because if I did end up catching covid, I didn't want to be weak and exhausted prior to it hitting me. So I didn't get to lay down til midnight. Got about 6hrs sleep and immediately continued and finished everything from last night. Got another couple hours of sleep right after.

Anyways, I started going through my own purchases and I realized I only bought 2 acton figures for myself. I wish I bought more, especially the ones I had on my Want List, but eventually passed up on.