Author Topic: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion  (Read 94737 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thinking about this past year, I do not remember hearing about this many folk getting cancellations of directly booked early  Marriott hotel reservations. I admired those who were able to book early. Looks like those days may be gone.  :(
FWIW that would've been fall of 2019: a lot of space between then and now (with one or two major global events that occurred that may've clouded memories a bit as well  :P ).

I think this type of thing happens annually: people try to get ahead of the rush by pre-booking for the following year's Con, and the system letting them in-the-moment.  Only later do the hotels cancel reservations knowing they can likely charge more in the lotto or whatnot (or maybe/also they are contractually obligated to ONLY take reservations during and after the lotto, for some specific hotels).  Not all cancel, and some hotels actually honor their reservation/customers.  But many do, and with the way the economy has been the last year or so, with "inflation" (read: corporate greed) meaning prices in 2022 are significantly higher than in 2021, I suspect more hoteliers will cancel already booked reservations this year in anticipation of higher costs next year

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2022, 05:16:37 PM »
Just had my Moxy reservation for next year cancelled. the email blamed it on an “internet glitch”.  Whatever…

Sent from my ???? using
I got the same thing. Then I called the hotel and they said that the Marriott has set up a number just for this BS. People have said that Marriott is infamous for doing these cancellations to get the higher prices

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:34:21 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »
This is business, and hotels are for profit entities.  The major chains operate this way all over the world.  The prices are higher during the Con, but the hotels also realize they can only go so high.  I checked the first hotel I stayed at in 2015 on Shelter Island.  I could make a reservation now, and they'd take it.  Of course it would be about $120/night more than 'normal', because it's the week of the Con.  I'm sure all the chains would love to charge $1000/night, if they thought they could get it, but that might be too risky.  You can only push your potential customers so far.  So they weigh their options, and quote prices they feel will give them the best results.  Which are profitability AND full capacity. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:58:28 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2022, 08:49:12 PM »
I got the same thing. Then I called the hotel and they said that the Marriott has set up a number just for this BS. People have said that Marriott is infamous for doing these cancellations to get the higher prices
If you get anywhere with the number you got please share.  Was looking forward to locking in a room early with a full kitchen to take my family next year.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2022, 09:45:08 PM »
I booked via booking.com for the Residence Inn Downtown/Gaslamp on the off chance it actually worked and didn't get cancelled. So far, it hasn't been cancelled, though of course I suspect that it partially has to do with it being a third-party site. I imagine maybe it hasn't been sent to Marriott's booking systems yet and that's why.

I honestly always take these early bookings for my back-up hotels, especially if they're for reasonable pricing etc., as dubious at best in terms of if they'll work out. In the back of my mind, I hope for the best but won't be surprised if it doesn't at all get honored.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out though long term. Especially with returning reg coming up soon.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2022, 10:37:45 PM »
I booked via booking.com for the Residence Inn Downtown/Gaslamp on the off chance it actually worked and didn't get cancelled. So far, it hasn't been cancelled, though of course I suspect that it partially has to do with it being a third-party site. I imagine maybe it hasn't been sent to Marriott's booking systems yet and that's why.

I honestly always take these early bookings for my back-up hotels, especially if they're for reasonable pricing etc., as dubious at best in terms of if they'll work out. In the back of my mind, I hope for the best but won't be surprised if it doesn't at all get honored.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out though long term. Especially with returning reg coming up soon.
I booked via booking.com and they still cancelled.if I weee you, I would call them to make sure your reservation is still good.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2022, 11:30:49 PM »
I booked via booking.com and they still cancelled.if I weee you, I would call them to make sure your reservation is still good.

Oh! Thanks for the heads up!! I'd only seen people (in the discord) mention that their booking.com ones still seemed to be fine, though it's a bit scattered in terms of dates it was said. I'll go ahead and contact them about it. It was a back-up reservation regardless, but it would be nice to know earlier than later if it's already going to be cancelled.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2022, 11:35:18 PM »
Oh! Thanks for the heads up!! I'd only seen people (in the discord) mention that their booking.com ones still seemed to be fine, though it's a bit scattered in terms of dates it was said. I'll go ahead and contact them about it. It was a back-up reservation regardless, but it would be nice to know earlier than later if it's already going to be cancelled.
contact the hotel not booking.com. Since Marriott did the cancellations.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2022, 08:59:28 AM »
FWIW that would've been fall of 2019: a lot of space between then and now (with one or two major global events that occurred that may've clouded memories a bit as well  :P ).

When I had been looking--Marriott did not open rooms for 2022 outside of the SDCC block until August 2021.  I would be really, really surprised if someone had managed to book rooms in 2019 and carry them through to 2022.  But I may have misunderstood your post... :-X
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2022, 10:36:49 PM »
I just checked Marriott dates and they said sold out :(. Definitely not going to look at omni since they did shady practice last year of changing the price even though you had a confirmation email with the rates. They decided to change it a few months before the con.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2022, 08:33:08 AM »
Should we start looking for hotels to book now or wait? I don't know if things have changed since 2017 (last time I did SDCC). I remember there was a lotto or something for hotels. I lucked out in 2017 and was able to get a room at Horton Grand Hotel. Thanks!
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
Should we start looking for hotels to book now or wait? I don't know if things have changed since 2017 (last time I did SDCC). I remember there was a lotto or something for hotels. I lucked out in 2017 and was able to get a room at Horton Grand Hotel. Thanks!
They haven't announced that there won't be a hotel lottery, so for now it is safe to assume they will do the same as last year. For 2022 they did the hotel lottery same as usual. There may be one that shows up on booking.com or the like, but most of the hotels have it locked down and blacked out in preparation for the lottery.  The process itself might change or the company doing the lottery/allotment might change, but the hotels have everything blacked out for now.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2022, 03:47:08 PM »

You can start looking and use it as backup plan in case the hotel lottery doesn't work out. It will probably be more expensive now since it doesn't have the rates. I would be looking for one that allows free cancellation up to a certain time frame. Stay away from Omni because they will definitely change the rates on you regardless of the rate you initially booked.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2022, 04:03:06 PM »
Looks like there will be a hotel sale for 2023.  From the SDCC website:

"Comic-Con 2023’s general hotel reservation event in early 2023 will include the downtown hotels closest to the San Diego Convention Center, however, you should know you can score an amazing deal before then on a hotel reservation in our Early Bird Hotel Sale!"

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2022, 09:18:12 AM »
Early Bird Hotel Information Posted.

Seems early to me, but whatever... :)

Phasers on Stun!!!