Author Topic: Booking Room for 3 adults?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
Booking Room for 3 adults?
« on: February 03, 2023, 06:06:41 PM »
Hello!  I'm a newbie here.  We're coming to SDCC this summer and I want to make sure I understand the hotel block process.  I found last year's block list.  The room categories are 1 Adult:1 bed, 1 Adult; 2 beds (not guaranteed).  There are 3 of us.  Are we going to be able to request a room for 3 adults?  I have a backup that I can cancel but I know we can't walk from the Carte Hotel Downtown.  We really want to be able to walk so we can take breaks.  Going to Disneyland first so we're going to be tired before we arrive!  Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: Booking Room for 3 adults?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 06:17:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello!  I'm a newbie here.  We're coming to SDCC this summer and I want to make sure I understand the hotel block process.  I found last year's block list.  The room categories are 1 Adult:1 bed, 1 Adult; 2 beds (not guaranteed).  There are 3 of us.  Are we going to be able to request a room for 3 adults?  I have a backup that I can cancel but I know we can't walk from the Carte Hotel Downtown.  We really want to be able to walk so we can take breaks.  Going to Disneyland first so we're going to be tired before we arrive!  Thanks in advance for your help!
Your room options will be Single (1 person/1 bed), Double (2 people/1 bed), Twin (2 people/2 beds), Triple (3 people/2 beds), or Quad (4 people/2 beds)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:16:35 AM »

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the info!!  That was quick!

Is there a thread you can point to for first timers.  I know SDCC is very different from NYCC.  I've been warned about the lines.  My daughter is very interested in cosplaying.  We do not have Saturday badges so the Masquerade is out.  Would love to know how to manage the long waits in line.  My husband and I are in our 60s bringing out 20 yr old.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:26:26 PM »
Thanks for the info!!  That was quick!

Is there a thread you can point to for first timers.  I know SDCC is very different from NYCC.  I've been warned about the lines.  My daughter is very interested in cosplaying.  We do not have Saturday badges so the Masquerade is out.  Would love to know how to manage the long waits in line.  My husband and I are in our 60s bringing out 20 yr old.

If you're looking for the thread on lines, check out the link below:

Of course this forum is chock full of information.  Depending on what you're look for, go to the main index, which I'm assuming you've already seen, since you made your way here.  :)

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 09:10:10 AM »

One of the big differences between NYCC and SDCC is the offsites (they are called 'activations' at NYCC). At NYCC, these 'activations' are set up inside the convention center, or just outside the building, and you cannot access them without a badge. At SDCC, they are called 'offsites' because they are actually offsite, on the lawn, inside the Gaslamp/downtown area, in parking lots, at hotels, etc. You do not need a badge to access these offsite events, and there are so many of them that it is not possible to see them all. You could easily spend all day Saturday doing this.

Offline freshstart19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 02:44:42 PM »
Thanks for the additional info!

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 05:17:04 PM »
Yes, the offsites are amazing! The whole Gaslamp Quarter and surrounding area goes all out for SDCC, so there is always something to do. I haven’t had the opportunity to attend NYCC yet for comparison, but I can say that you’ll easily fill your time on Saturday.

You mentioned the masquerade, so I’d also recommend the Her Universe fashion show. It’s usually Thursday night, and the fandom fashion is phenomenal. It looks like submissions open 3/20 to participate in this year’s show, or you can attend as a spectator. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 06:15:51 AM »
Yes, the offsites are amazing! The whole Gaslamp Quarter and surrounding area goes all out for SDCC, so there is always something to do. I haven’t had the opportunity to attend NYCC yet for comparison, but I can say that you’ll easily fill your time on Saturday.

You mentioned the masquerade, so I’d also recommend the Her Universe fashion show. It’s usually Thursday night, and the fandom fashion is phenomenal. It looks like submissions open 3/20 to participate in this year’s show, or you can attend as a spectator. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
By my experience from attending NYCC since the inauguration; there is absolutely no comparison between SDCC and NYCC. SDCC goes far and beyond what NYCC does.

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 04:13:38 PM »
By my experience from attending NYCC since the inauguration; there is absolutely no comparison between SDCC and NYCC. SDCC goes far and beyond what NYCC does.

100% agree. I do find NYCC a more relaxed / laid back convention though compared to SDCC. I like it for that reason but SDCC has always been the ultimate experience.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 08:08:51 AM »
Your room options will be Single (1 person/1 bed), Double (2 people/1 bed), Twin (2 people/2 beds), Triple (3 people/2 beds), or Quad (4 people/2 beds)

We usually have 4-6 in our room so during lottery always request Triple to ensure we get 2 beds.  Even if you say 2 people with 2 beds seems like they offer you rooms with just a king.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 09:39:53 AM »
100% agree. I do find NYCC a more relaxed / laid back convention though compared to SDCC. I like it for that reason but SDCC has always been the ultimate experience.

NYCC more relaxed?  I am a bit surprised.  I have never been to NYCC, yet would expect NYCC to be a bit more hectic because of locale.  Interested in hearing more about the comparison.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
We usually have 4-6 in our room so during lottery always request Triple to ensure we get 2 beds.  Even if you say 2 people with 2 beds seems like they offer you rooms with just a king.

They do!  Not always, but if that is what they have left.....
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
NYCC more relaxed?  I am a bit surprised.  I have never been to NYCC, yet would expect NYCC to be a bit more hectic because of locale.  Interested in hearing more about the comparison.

I don't know if I'd use the word 'relaxed' with regard to NYCC.  If you've been to SDCC, you notice immediately that the vibe is different.

Pretty much everything happens in the convention center.  There are really no events outside.  The biggest room is at least 2 city blocks away, and that is NOT a quick walk.  The variety of things to do at SDCC is much more than at NYCC.  Food is either in the convention center, or food trucks that are parked on the lower level of the convention center.

New York is local for me, but I don't have nearly the desire to go to NYCC as I do for SDCC.  The last time I went to NYCC was 2019, and after that I decided I didn't need to go again.

Bottom line...
Whereas San Diego goes all out for Comic Con (Hotels, restaurants, convention employess), New York could care less.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 04:07:51 PM »
I don't know if I'd use the word 'relaxed' with regard to NYCC.  If you've been to SDCC, you notice immediately that the vibe is different.

Pretty much everything happens in the convention center.  There are really no events outside.  The biggest room is at least 2 city blocks away, and that is NOT a quick walk.  The variety of things to do at SDCC is much more than at NYCC.  Food is either in the convention center, or food trucks that are parked on the lower level of the convention center.

New York is local for me, but I don't have nearly the desire to go to NYCC as I do for SDCC.  The last time I went to NYCC was 2019, and after that I decided I didn't need to go again.

Bottom line...
Whereas San Diego goes all out for Comic Con (Hotels, restaurants, convention employess), New York could care less.

Thank you.  I had to chuckle at your last sentence.  As an NYC native, yeah I can see that!  Just a blip on the agenda.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 01:25:52 PM »

No hotel lottery.  The big rooms clear between panels, so no camping overnight for that 6pm panel the next day.  Marvel Studios doesn’t do NYCC panels anymore, so that eliminates some chaos right there.  And even though the architecture sucks, you can reserve a space in some of the big panels beforehand, so you don’t have to stress about getting in.  And if you buy a VIP badge, there is NO stress to get good seats at big panels.