Author Topic: SDCC 2015 Frequently Asked Questions for Travel Planners Hotel Reservations  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1940
Frequently Asked Questions about CCI Hotel Reservations

DISCLAIMER: This will be updated as necessary or when more information about hotel reservations is available.  Information is subject to change without notice (due to the hotel policies or Travel Planners policies, so I'll do my best to keep things updated as much as possible).

1] How old do I have to be to reserve a hotel room?
In the state of California, the age is usually 18 years old.  Some hotels require you to be 21 to reserve a room, but that would be a case-by-case basis (these days, it's uncommon).  For the Comic-Con Hotel Block, the minimum age for hotel reservations should be 18.

2] Is it okay to use my debit card for hotel payment?
Yes, as long as your debit card has a credit card logo like VISA, Mastercard, etc.

3] Is it possible to use a pre-paid credit card for hotel payment?
Yes, as long as the pre-paid credit card has been loaded with enough funds to cover all of your expenses.

4] Will the hotel charge the full payment after booking reservations?
All reservations require an advance deposit equal to two night’s room and tax (with the exception of the Early Bird Hotel Sale; see Question 6).

Deposits are required when you log back in to guarantee your reservation and must be submitted within 72 hours of receiving your confirmation or you will lose your reservation and you will not have a hotel room for Comic-Con. 

If you are happy with your hotels, please follow the directions on your confirmation and go back online to pay the required deposit within 72 hours of receiving your confirmation or your reservation will be cancelled. If you are not happy with your hotel and do not plan to confirm your reservation, please log on and cancel your reservation so another attendee can have a chance at getting a room.

This deposit is fully refundable if your reservation is canceled by April 15th, 2015.

You'll need to provide a deposit of first and last night's room charge, plus tax, within 72 hours of receiving your hotel reservations confirmation.

After 72 hours from receiving your confirmation, RESERVATIONS WITHOUT DEPOSITS OR WITH ONLY A PARTIAL DEPOSIT WILL BE CANCELLED AND WILL NOT BE RE-INSTATED FOR ANY REASON.

Reservations canceled between April 16th to May 15th, 2015 will incur a cancellation fee equal to one night's room and tax.
Reservations canceled on or after May 16th, 2015: DEPOSITS BECOME NON-REFUNDABLE.

ADA requests are based on availability and have no bearing on your assigned hotel's proximity to the Convention Center.

After you have paid the hotel reservation deposits, you should be all set.  Once you check into your hotel room for Comic-Con, you may be asked to pay the rest of the hotel payment at that time and then cover any hotel expenses (room service, etc.) at check-out.  If you don't have any extra expenses, then your invoice at check-out will come to $0.00 USD.

In some cases, you will pay the rest of the hotel payment at check-out.  It depends on each individual hotel's payment policies, but in general, you will come across one of those scenarios.  For example, in my experience with hotels in California, I have encountered both.

5] When is the hotel reservations cancellation deadline?

For cancellations from April 16th to May 15th, 2015, a cancellation fee equal to one night’s room rate plus tax will be charged per room.  The cancellation fee will be deducted from your deposit(s).

Starting on May 16th, 2015, ALL DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

6] How do you reserve hotel rooms through CCI's hotel block?
CCI will sent out a special link for hotel reservations to the e-mail address associated with your member ID.  This e-mail will have the date and time.  When the day comes, you will click the link to participate in the "hotel lottery" (aptly named because you will not know if you get a hotel room, or which hotel it is, if you are fortunate enough to get a hotel room).

The link will take you to the Travel Planners' website, where you will fill out a personal information and reservation form.  You will be required to select a certain number of hotels.  This year, there was a minimum and maximum of six hotel choices for your form.

Wait 48 hours.  Travel Planners will notify you if you have received a hotel room through the "lottery."  From that e-mail, you will be directed to further instructions if you got a room (see Question 4 for information about hotel room deposits).

The hotel rooms are processed according to the time during which you submitted your form.

7] What is the Early Bird Hotel Sale?
You can reserve hotel rooms at selected hotels prior to the actual opening of official hotel lottery.  The hotels in the Early Bird Hotel Sale are generally NOT within walking distance of the San Diego Convention Center, but they do have shuttle service. 

The hotels participating in the Early Bird Hotel Sale are slightly more discounted in prices than the other hotels for Comic-Con.  However, the slightly discounted prices expire on March 24th, 2015. 

Each room reservation requires full prepayment at the time of booking. The full prepayment is NON-REFUNDABLE, regardless of circumstance.

Reduction in room nights will not be eligible for refunds.

8] If I get a hotel room but don't like the location, can I transfer room reservations to someone else?
Most likely the answer is "yes." 

More information about this in the days to come!

9] What else do I need to know about hotel reservations and fees?
Your reservations will be booked based on room availability. Bed type and special requests are not guaranteed.

These requests will be noted with the hotel, but are subject to hotel availability at the time of check-in.

Currently, hotels in San Diego charge a Transient Occupancy tax of 10.565%, a Tourism Marketing assessment of 2% and parking fees, all of which are subject to change without notice.

Hotel rates are not guaranteed until booked and confirmed. Hotel rates may vary by number of occupants and other requested services. Comic-Con and Travel Planners reserve the right to correct any identified errors.

10] Is it possible to reserve more than one room through the Travel Planners/CCI's system?
Yes, but it might make the request more difficult.  Generally speaking, if you are lucky enough to get a room, you'll be assigned to that one particular room for a certain number of nights.

11] I got a room reservation and paid the deposit.  Can I make changes to my room reservation?
Yes.  At the moment, I personally suggest contacting CCI's customer service line by phone at 1-877-55-COMIC (1-877-552-6642) or 212-532-1660. 

Once the hotel confirmations are sent out (telling you whether or not you got a hotel room at one of the hotels), there should be a link on the official CCI website for people to change their reservations. This FAQ will be updated when that time comes.

Changes must be received 14 days prior to arrival; changes are on a by-request basis and are subject to availability/discretion of the hotel.

You can make changes to the following:
- the guests' names.
- the check-in and check-out dates (you can also select dates that were not available on the original hotel registration form).
- your room type (single, double, triple, or quadruple, meaning how many people will be staying in that particular room).
- request a smoking or non-smoking room.

12] What are the shuttle routes for the hotels?
Once this information is released for CCI 2015, I will make a quick reference guide for shuttles.

13] I didn't a hotel room after "hotel lottery" in February.  What can I do?
There are a few options:

• Option 1: Check out the CCI 2015 Room Sharing thread for anyone looking for roommates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • Option 2: You can reserve a room from the Early Bird Hotel Sale (see Question 7).
  • You might be able to get a room transferred to your name through a trade or giveaway. More details about this in the upcoming days!
  • Option 3: This is directly from the CCI website. "As Comic-Con gets closer, hotel rooms do free up. We urge everyone who plans on making a hotel reservation for the event to keep checking this hotel page for updated room availability. If you don’t get your first choice on March 24th, 2015, check back later to see if the hotel you prefer is available." 
  • Option 4: Rent a condo or apartment for a week to stay in.  It will likely be expensive.  We have a thread for more info: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

14] What about the hotel waitlist?  Or, is it just a Comic-Con myth?
Yes, the hotel waitlist does exist.

Like last year, if you aren't given any of your choices, you should be automatically placed onto the hotel waitlist if you selected option TWO or THREE.  If you participated in the hotel lottery, you might have selected one of the following options:

• Book me into any available downtown hotel. If NO downtown hotels are available, discard my request.
  • Book me into any hotel that is on the shuttle route. If NO hotels on the shuttle route are available, discard my request.  NOTE: If we are able to book you into a hotel on the shuttle route, you will also automatically be waitlisted for your original, specified hotel choices above.
  • Book me into any available hotel.   NOTE: If we can book you into any available hotel, you will still automatically be waitlisted for your original, specified hotel choices.  If we CANNOT book your requests, you will be automatically waitlisted.

If you selected the SECOND or THIRD option in regards to the waitlist:
Travel Planners--CCI's hotel booking company--will notify you by the e-mail you provided on hotel registration form on March 24th if you got a room. That waitlist e-mail has rather specific instructions on how to secure your hotel room.  Most likely the process is like this (again basing this off from last year): they will fully refund your deposit if and only if you respond by e-mail and request that your earlier reservation be cancelled.

Sometime at the end of June, the hotel waitlist will close, and the people on the waitlist will receive an e-mail like the following:

[THIS IS FROM COMIC-CON 2012, AS AN EXAMPLE!]
Dear Comic-Con Guest,

Thank you for contacting Travel Planners to make your hotel arrangements for Comic-Con 2012. You are receiving this email because you had been placed on a waiting list for hotel reservations.

We have not been able to secure alternate accommodations for you at this time and we have not been able to fulfill your waitlist request.

This message does not affect any current reservations you have booked. If you still need a reservation or wish to review current availability  PLEASE CLICK HERE TO CHECK INVENTORY AND BOOK YOUR ROOM - This is live or real time inventory and is affected by people actively booking, changing and cancelling reservations. We cannot guarantee availability at any of your preferred hotels.

Thank you again for your interest and hope you have an exciting time at Comic-con.

The Reservations Team
Travel Planners Inc. | 381 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10016
Office: 212.532.1660 or 800.221.3531 | Fax:  212.532.1556 | [email protected] | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:24:26 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...