Author Topic: WonderCon 2013 Reviews  (Read 29057 times)

Offline carmitch

• Exhibit Hall
  • Disabled CCI attendee
  • Liked: 0
Re: WonderCon 2013 Reviews
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I understand what you're saying.  At Comic-con when celebrities are signing at the WB, or FOX, or CBS booths huge traffic jams of lookie-loos & photographers create havoc for those who are just trying to walk by.  However, Saturday's wristband signings were held in a private room on the second floor. Actually, there were two rooms:  one, which was used as a "holding area", and another where the talent was actually signing.  Much of the time the door to this signing room was closed so you couldn't even look inside to see who was in there, much less take a photo.  They allowed maybe 30 (?) people in the signing room at a time.  I totally appreciate how difficult the flash must be on one's eyes.  But at Comic-con, again, most of the signings are either in the above named booths or in the Sails Pavilion, where again, photography is allowed from the line.  Interestingly enough, GDT signed last year at Comic-con in the Sails Pavilion (with a ticket-pull for the wristband) and not only could you take photos from the line you could do a "lean in" at the signing table.  I am aware, however, that there are private room signings at Comic-con; I've just never been in one so I don't know how they work.  Enlightenment, anyone? (Just curious at this point)

You pretty much described what a 'private room signing' is.  Those of us who got a wristband were instructed to meet at a room at a certain time.  They had us in a 'snake-like' configuration.  The end of that long line ended back at the entrance of the room.   They, then, would let a certain number of people exit that room and lead us to a room next door, whose door was shut the entire time, only opened to let us enter or exit.  The path from one room to another was lined with security.

In the 2nd room was GDT.  We had to wait in a shorter, snake-like line there.  When we got to be the next in line to see him, we had to wait a few feet away while GDT was signing the prior person's poster.  Then, security allowed us to approach his table only after he was done with the prior person.

Security was in uniforms along this route, but he had big and buff bodyguards in suit and ties standing behind him at his table.  You knew not to do anything other than what you were told to do by their presence.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
I only went on Friday but had a nice time and got pretty much all my wants so I was happy. My only cons were it was way way more crowded than past Wondercons, even last year was way less. This had many far reaching effects ... sketch sessions turning into autographs only, capped lines for comic books, huge lines for t-shirts, etc. A scary trend!

Oh and I was still a little disappointed that some of the mainstays in the industry ... Marvel, Gentle Giant, Mattel, and more hollywood was not present. Especially the latter 3 since they are based in SoCal!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:11:13 AM »

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
I only went on Friday but had a nice time and got pretty much all my wants so I was happy. My only cons were it was way way more crowded than past Wondercons, even last year was way less. This had many far reaching effects ... sketch sessions turning into autographs only, capped lines for comic books, huge lines for t-shirts, etc. A scary trend!

Oh and I was still a little disappointed that some of the mainstays in the industry ... Marvel, Gentle Giant, Mattel, and more hollywood was not present. Especially the latter 3 since they are based in SoCal!

Yeah WonderCon is becoming SDCC for better or worse. Part of the SDCC overflow effect :D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 Reviews
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
We all knew this was going to happen with SDCC selling out in minutes the past two years.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »
I agree with you guys. Of the people I spoke with at WonderCon (in lines, in panel rooms, on the Exhibit floor) there were 2 camps: people who love SDCC and were using WonderCon as a 'fix', and people who have become fed up with SDCC (too many people, too difficult to get tickets, etc.) and are coming to WonderCon to experience what SDCC used to be.

SDCC is clearly having an impact on WonderCon.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
I often joke about Wondercon being a nicotine patch to get through Comic Con withdrawals, but in all honestly, I'm just grateful to have another great show to attend.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
I agree with you guys. Of the people I spoke with at WonderCon (in lines, in panel rooms, on the Exhibit floor) there were 2 camps: people who love SDCC and were using WonderCon as a 'fix', and people who have become fed up with SDCC (too many people, too difficult to get tickets, etc.) and are coming to WonderCon to experience what SDCC used to be.

SDCC is clearly having an impact on WonderCon.

I'm split on the issue of going to SDCC

Pros

I love TV and Movies , so the panels are one of the main reasons why I still go. Before it was movie posters, movie sound tracks, books and animation cels that I would buy. I really was not into comics, but my friends and relatives were.

Meeting people that I know online (Facebook, Forums like this, Twitter, Podcasts ...)

Browsing the dealer tables for stuff

Cons

The amount of time wasted lining up for things.

The long lines for panels, parking myself all day to see one panel that I really wanted to see.

Just getting passes.

Hotel Hell

Fewer friends are going because of the last two issues.

I may not go in 2014 and the Zombies attack anyway

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 Reviews
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
We all need something so we don't get con-sick,  The sweets and shakes suck, need a little something something to make us right during the SDCC break.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
I may not go in 2014 and the Zombies attack anyway

LOL, my DD loves the Newsflesh series (I enjoyed it too) but she's just young enough to be concerned about SDCC 2014. I told her that if 'terrorists' break into a lab to release a universal cure to the common cold a few months before the Con, then we'll stay home. ;)

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
LOL, my DD loves the Newsflesh series (I enjoyed it too) but she's just young enough to be concerned about SDCC 2014. I told her that if 'terrorists' break into a lab to release a universal cure to the common cold a few months before the Con, then we'll stay home. ;)

I meet the Tutts at the California Browncoats booth and we talked about the NewsFlesh series. Shawn is good friends with Seanan McGuire AKA Mira Grant. I noticed they had a ribbon on their badges that said "I'm still alive" and I thought was pretty funny considering what happens in the story.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
I agree! We'll have to go by so my daughter can appreciate that this year. ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
I often joke about Wondercon being a nicotine patch to get through Comic Con withdrawals, but in all honestly, I'm just grateful to have another great show to attend.
Ha, that's a funny way to put it. In joke that WonderCon Anaheim = my 'safety con:' if I can't get into SDCC, at least I can fall back on WonderCon  :P

In all honesty/fairness, it's come into its own and WonderCon has become its own thing. In had a blast this year and hope it returns to Anaheim in 2014 (disclaimer: I REALLY hope there is a WonderCon SF as well as Anaheim)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »

FWIW, of that list only Marvel was at WonderCon in 2012, if in remember correctly: I'd say Marvel is the only real 'mainstay' of WonderCon from that list

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 Reviews
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
Gentle Giant was at WC in 2012, because they had the exclusive 3D Yoda for the release of Episode I in 3D.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
I only went Saturday this year but it was pretty enjoyable. We took it easy and I actually spent more than I thought I would -_-;

Improvements from last year: Food!! A lot more options for your food fix including those provided inside the convention center.

Pros: I enjoyed walking around artist alley this year. It was nice talking to the artists about their creations. Registration was awesome. They actually started the lines earlier so it didn't feel like we were waiting as long. Saw Khanh (very briefly)!

Cons: Lines are getting longer. Not to SDCC proportions yet but significantly longer than last year. Also, there wasn't a lot of swag on the floor. Last year wasn't that great either but it felt particularly dry and I wasn't that excited about the things I did manage to get. Maybe I wasn't wandering around at the right time or I've been spoiled by years of attending SDCC. There were also a few demo places I wanted to check out but didn't know how long the wait was. There were less panels that interested me this year. Last year I went to a few but I didn't go to any this time around. Didn't see anyone else from the forum.