Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137645 times)

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
While looking at the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System site this morning, I noticed a page with new guidelines concerning their Cargo Rules:

"Effective March 1, 2012, there will be new rules and procedures for carts, strollers and carry-on items taken aboard MTS buses and Trolleys. These new rules will create a safer environment and improve boarding and travel times for all riders."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rules Applicable to All Transit Vehicles (Buses and Trolley)

Drivers and/or MTS Security personnel will have the discretionary authority to determine if a personal utility cart (cart) or stroller is too big to be transported and if freight is too big or dangerous to be transported. Riders are limited to two small carry-on bags/items that can be reasonably carried on their laps when seated and/or stowed safely under, or in front of, their seats. Large bags of recycled cans are not allowed on transit vehicles any time. Carts, strollers, or other utility devices will not be allowed if they:

a. Exceed 30" tall, 18" wide, and 18" deep (not including handle and/or wheels)
b. Cannot easily/quickly negotiate vehicle door entrances and turns for any reason
c. Contain loads that exceed the height and designated capacity of the carrying device
d. Include items that are wet, leaking, or considered hazardous for any reason

Riders are also limited only to items that can be boarded in a single trip onto the vehicle without assistance from another person. Multiple trips to load bags, carts, strollers, or cargo are not allowed. Loads that require multiple people to maneuver bags, carts, strollers, or cargo on/off the vehicle are also not allowed.

Passengers must stay with their carts, strollers, or cargo during the entire trip and hold onto their belongings firmly. Items will only be allowed to be placed on the front wheel well of a bus if the passenger sits adjacent to the item and has a firm grasp on it for the duration of the trip. Multiple items will not be allowed to be stacked in these areas.

The interior area near any door shall always be free of carts, strollers, cargo, or other items, as this area is considered a main emergency exit. Loading items through the rear door of a bus, due to the front being full, is not permitted. Bus drivers and/or MTS Security personnel shall ask riders in the front to move further back to make room for these riders to board through the front door only.

While operating a walker, cart, or other device, bags and other items must remain in control of the rider at all times. The amount of cargo carried or attached to these devices is limited to what the rider can place securely on his/her lap when seated and must not create a scenario where the device exceeds the maximum cart dimensions above. Packages must be removed and placed on the riders lap if blocking the aisles and/or if requested by the driver. Items or devices allowed on the vehicle should be of such a size and nature that moving them to another area of the vehicle would continue compliance with this policy.

Rules Applicable to Buses Only

No more than three (3) different riders with carts, strollers, or other cargo will be allowed on the buses at one time. Riders with carts, strollers, and cargo trying to board when the bus is already at capacity will be required to wait for the next scheduled bus.

Riders with carts, strollers, or other cargo should sit in designated "cart/stroller" seating areas when available on vehicles and when space is available. Bus drivers and/or MTS Security personnel shall request that these riders move to the designated cart/stroller areas, if they are seated in the senior/disabled (SID) section of the vehicles, in order to make room for wheelchair and other SID riders.

Passengers with strollers must remove the child and collapse the stroller once on board the vehicle. Strollers and empty carts should be properly folded and stored as to not impede the free movement of passengers or the driver in the aisle, doors, or emergency exits and must not present a potential hazard to or danger to riders. If a cart with packages cannot be folded, it must also be stored in a way that meets the same requirements above. It is recommended that parents or guardians of children removed from strollers stay seated with the child in their laps as it may not be safe to be standing.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »
Do keep in mind that during a special event they are normally willing to look the other way.  will get offical answer tho
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:03:43 AM »

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
It is up to the discretion of the driver. If the bus is not packed and you can keep your items out of the way you maybe able to bring them on board.

MTS Customer Relations Department

This comes Directly from MTS.  Loads of help that is. its a non answer which means dont plan on using public transit if you're going to be buying a lot of having large costumes
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline sajcfan

• Freebie Table
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
Hola! SDCC newbie here. Although my boyfriend and I have been coming to San Diego annually for a relaxing vacation, this will be our first time ever to go to Comic Con. This forum has been incredibly informative but I'm aware at how potentially stressful this weekend will be for us. I would like to know how the shuttle service is like. Are the lines pretty long in the morning before departing the hotel? We got the early bird special and will be staying at the Crowne Plaza.

I apologize in advance for asking more noob questions  :P

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
I have second hand stories but nothing personal to report on this.  The stories are that its not too bad do expect lines at peek times.  If normal public transit is anything to take ques from going one or two pick ups early can make a huge difference in the lines.
-Chris Hagish

Offline saraisaboringname

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered, I didn't see it anywhere else.

Is there a dedicated shuttle between the convention center and the Hilton Bayfront? I realize it's only a mile or so away, but I have terrible feet and need to avoid a lot of walking when possible (I do know I'll be on my feet for most of the four days!).

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

Is there a dedicated shuttle between the convention center and the Hilton Bayfront? I realize it's only a mile or so away, but I have terrible feet and need to avoid a lot of walking when possible (I do know I'll be on my feet for most of the four days!).
are you at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront? That's so close, I'll carry you there  ;)
if you are at the Harbor Island Hilton, the shuttle does go there
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

I've stayed at the Hilton Bayfront for the past 3 years. There is no shuttle. This is because it's not a mile away, it's NEXT DOOR! Here, look at this:

You can see the tower of the Hilton Bayfront where the guest rooms are. Just cross the road and that building across the street is the Convention Center. The big grassy area (the part with the 'stripes') you see is where the Hall H people line up. There is nothing cooler than waking up in the morning and looking out the window to see the status of the Hall H line. A perfect Con view!

You'll love the Hilton Bayfront! I would have been there this year again if they'd gotten their act together on time and offered rooms earlier. Trust me, the walk to and from the hotel will be MINIMAL compared to all the walking you'll do inside the convention center.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:47:35 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline saraisaboringname

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
I've stayed at the Hilton Bayfront for the past 3 years. There is no shuttle. This is because it's not a mile away, it's NEXT DOOR! Here, look at this:

You can see the tower of the Hilton Bayfront where the guest rooms are. Just cross the road and that building across the street is the Convention Center. The big grassy area (the part with the 'stripes') you see is where the Hall H people line up. There is nothing cooler than waking up in the morning and looking out the window to see the status of the Hall H line. A perfect Con view!

Google maps directions were kind of deceptive, I must have typed in the wrong place because it said they were a mile apart. Thanks for the info!

Offline Briarbun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Moon Prism Power Make Up!
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
Okay, I will be needing to get my way back to the train station on the monday after SDCC. I will have two carry-ons plus my backpack. Will I be able to take the trolley or will I have to call a cab?

I can carry both pieces of luggage in my arms to load them into the trolley but it may be a struggle to keep them both on my lap along with my backpack. I could keep one of the carry-ons at my feet, if permitted.

I would prefer to take the trolley, if possible, to save money. I want to figure this out as soon as possible so I don't have a bad surprise and end up late for my train.
writer for Geekscape.net

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
just take the trolley, by Monday all the extra "security" on the trolley stops will be home sleeping

Offline Beowulf

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
24hr Shuttle - sorry if already posted

Offline Dreyesbo

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
EDIT: It was a dumb post, nothing to see here :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:46:04 PM by Dreyesbo »

Offline Mdgeist316

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Sorry if this has already been asked. I didn't see it in the thread. What is the better travel option getting to the convention center from the airport: cab or shuttle service?

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Sorry if this has already been asked. I didn't see it in the thread. What is the better travel option getting to the convention center from the airport: cab or shuttle service?
cab is definitely easier, check with your hotel to see if they run a shuttle regularly. I was sitting on a shuttle on a return trip as they waited for some other ppl to get on, took longer than I wanted it to  ???