Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137496 times)

Offline Mdgeist316

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
Great! Thanks for the info.

Offline BustAGroove

• Exhibit Hall
  • Nerd Gurl In Search Of A Peaceful Soul
    • FaceBook
  • Liked: 3
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here (July 17-21, 2013)
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
I just booked my Amtrak (first time e-Ticket) for 'Con 2013. 

Now, I don't have to worry about keeping up with that paper version of ticket :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Geek Out - Comic-Con Madness (Pinterest)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:21:12 AM »

Offline KingOfPain

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
A DISASTER!!!

Hello, let me tell you a little bit about my predicament. I finally got the money to book a hotel for Comic Con (I already got my four day tickets earlier this year) so I went to Priceline and looked at hotels in the Hotel Circle area. It found me a hotel called Rodeway Inn near Qualcomm Stadium and completed my purchase. So stupid me decides to investigate more and actually study the hotels listed in the shuttle service for Comic Con and sure enough, my hotel is not listed. In fact, it's a little beyond the last hotel on the Hotel Circle route (Marriott in Mission Valley).

So after spinning around and trying to reason with the Priceline reps about canceling the reservation and trying to find something that is actually listed in the shuttle stop hotel list, they weren't having it and so I'm stuck with my reservation.

Okay fine, but how the hell do I manage my CC commute schedule now? I'm not within minutes walk of the closest hotel on the list, and apparently I'm not near the train line either. Do I rent a car and drive to the closest hotel every morning and just park in their parking lot? Yeah it's an extra expense that's upsetting to me... but I guess i have to do what I have to do. Has anyone had any experience staying at the Rodeway Inn and what possible suggestions do you have?

Thank you

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 05:30:09 AM »
hey, saw your post on the fb cci site too. glad you included your hotel here.  Is it the roadway inn near qualcom?

If so, the way I see it, without exploring the public transportation options, you've got two options;

Rent a car, I just picked up a 8 day car rental (Budget) for the cci time frame, at $240.  You can park at qualcom for free an take the trolley in.  the trolley cost abt $15 for the weekend.  I did this in 2010 and it is painless.  You can also try for pre-parking at the con but that requires a commitment to get up early to beat traffic and it cost more $$.

Second option, see if you can transfer the hotel reservation into someone else's name.  You'd need to find someone who's willing to take the reservation over of course but i gather it's for a good price so in theory you shouldn't have a major problem doing this.  your target person is a person who's driving to the con.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mcl923

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

Okay fine, but how the hell do I manage my CC commute schedule now? I'm not within minutes walk of the closest hotel on the list, and apparently I'm not near the train line either. Do I rent a car and drive to the closest hotel every morning and just park in their parking lot? Yeah it's an extra expense that's upsetting to me... but I guess i have to do what I have to do. Has anyone had any experience staying at the Rodeway Inn and what possible suggestions do you have?

Thank you

The Rodeway inn is .9 miles from the Trolley Station at Grantville. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You could walk to the Trolley and take the trolley down to the Convention Center. Now with the redesigned Trolley Routes, the Green Line goes directly Downtown without having to transfer. Like Alyssa said the trolley will cost about $15 for the weekend each person.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
Last year, the trolley sold Comic Con Special Event trolley passes for the number of days that you were going to the show.  Here is their webpage with prices (scroll down a bit):

Be sure to find the person that is at the trolley station selling them and not use the automated machines.  I do not think that the machines dispense the Special Event passes.

Otherwise, the trolley has historically been $5 per person unlimited use for one day.

They also make the multi day pass so that it fits in your badge holder for your Comic Con badge to make it harder to lose.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:14:28 PM by Chris Chen »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »
The Rodeway inn is .9 miles from the Trolley Station at Grantville. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You could walk to the Trolley and take the trolley down to the Convention Center.
Good catch on the closer trolley station!
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline KingOfPain

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Thanks guys... this might be the option I'll take. I don't mind walking in a mile... lol, it's peanuts compared to waiting three hours in line at 5am in the morning for one of the halls at CC. My question I guess is do the trolleys run conveniently at that time of the morning during CC (specifically from that station)? When you used the trolley service, did you find that they beefed up the schedule during CC or does the trolley schedule remain static (ie. possibly one train per hour at that time of the morning). The reason I ask is because I would get up at 5am to catch the shuttle from the hotel so I could start lining up... According to the schedule the first train leaves at 5:30am, arriving at the convention center at 6:08am.... I don't even recall if this was earlier enough to join the lines... sometimes I got there just before 6am. Is that a reasonable time to arrive to get into the exhibit halls? What time do you guys start lining up at?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:02:33 PM by KingOfPain »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
The reason I ask is because I would get up at 5am to catch the shuttle from the hotel so I could start lining up... According to the schedule the first train leaves at 5:30am, arriving at the convention center at 6:08am.... I don't even recall if this was earlier enough to join the lines... sometimes I got there just before 6am. Is that a reasonable time to arrive to get into the exhibit halls? What time do you guys start lining up at?

Besides the panels you have to absolutely camp out for it should be fine IMO.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
I concur
hall h & ballroom 20 on busy days are the obvious exceptions but for the floor or the other panel rooms, 6 am ish seems fine.  iirc, that's when i usually get there (ish) depends on how long the starbux line is of course.

Offline Jeff

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
Yeh I think we actually lined up around 7:15 for Hall H on Friday this year(Paranorman, Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones) and we made it in the last quarter of the hall.  Although I did hear that if you didn't make it in before Paranorman was over you probably weren't going to make it in until after GoT, so like another 5 hours later.  So in our case if we would have lined up at say 8am, we might not have made it into Hall H until like 3pm!

Offline merathanel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
I've been looking for the last hour and can't really find an answer to a question I have. Does anyone know how close to a trolley stop either of these hotels are? And how long it would take to get to the con from there?

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley
Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
Hampton Inn San Diego-Kearny Mesa

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:15:14 AM by merathanel »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »
I've been looking for the last hour and can't really find an answer to a question I have. Does anyone know how close to a trolley stop either of these hotels are? And how long it would take to get to the con from there?

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley
Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
Hampton Inn San Diego-Kearny Mesa

did you check to see if they are on the free comic con shuttle ? 

if not I enter the street address into the public transportation utility here;  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login That should tell you abt each of the hotel proximity to public transportation.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
That's the map I was looking for before! Thanks for posting it, Alyssa!

It looks like those 2 Hiltons mentioned are 24 and 25 on the shuttle map.

Offline merathanel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
Thank you very much, both of you! That map is very helpful.

EDIT: Sorry, another question. It's been years since I've been to this con so I am a noob (again I guess), but what do the colors on the map mean? Like 24 is yellow and 25 is purple. And is the shuttle reliable and quick (subject to traffic of course)?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:35:45 PM by merathanel »