Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137465 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know if this has been answered so I might as well ask. Where is the best place to park a car for a couple days without having any problems with someone breaking into it? I'm planning on camping in the Hall H line starting Thursday night for the Saturday panels and I'm not going to get a room for Thursday thru Saturday so I won't have to waste money on a room I won't be in those days. I was thinking the Walmart near Qualcomm but I don't know how safe it is there. I'll be traveling back and forth to it to change clothes but I'm just nervous about it.

It's not free, but I would suggest parking at an airport lot and then taking public transportation/Ubering to the convention center site.

Offline sirbob5

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #286 on: May 01, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »
Has anyone ever decided if the trolley or comic con bus is faster to our from the Mission Valley area? I usually stay at the Marriott Mission Valley. Trolley seems about the same as the bus going to the convention, but the trolley feels longer at night going back. However, it takes so much longer to get a bus back in my experience you almost could do either I suppose.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #287 on: Today at 03:33:18 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
Has anyone ever decided if the trolley or comic con bus is faster to our from the Mission Valley area? I usually stay at the Marriott Mission Valley. Trolley seems about the same as the bus going to the convention, but the trolley feels longer at night going back. However, it takes so much longer to get a bus back in my experience you almost could do either I suppose.

I think your experience pretty much matches mine, I guess it partly depends on when you leave. Sometimes the lines for the buses are really long. But I find the bus ride a lot more comfortable in the evening. Going in I tend to like the trolley since it's easier to talk with people.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
I have spent the past two years trying to figure that out as well. At least from Town and Country the going to the convention on the bus is faster than the trolley. T&C is the last stop so it goes directly to convention and you don't have to walk to trolley, wait for trolley, and usually in the mornings the buses come fast enough to mitigate the walk to trolley station at the very least.  Going back, I've only done trolley once and it didn't seem super long and might technically have been faster because the bus stops at other hotels first BUT the bus is way more comfortable plus I'm not "racing" to get anywhere on the way back anyways.  My plan is I'll do the trolley before the buses start running for the week and then just take the shuttle bus the rest of the days. Saving a small amount of money and at least in my experience the time savings range from none to little enough to not matter too much.

Offline tacofan

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
Has anyone taken the public bus to and from the airport to downtown? 

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Family and I did this 2yrs ago and it is super easy, I think it was $2 per person that yr and we got off on Broadway, if your hotel is right near convention center it will be a walk from Broadway and with luggage in tow it'll be easier to take Uber or Lyft from airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cory

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »
Yes, I do it every year.  There are plenty of buses running to downtown... When you arrive at the airport, just head outside and ask someone who works there to point you toward where the buses stop.

Google maps will tell you which bus to get on, based on where you need to go.  Bring some cash and coins to pay.

Note that if you're traveling with 2 or 3 other people, it might be easier and cheaper to just take an Uber or taxi.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »
I don't know if this has been answered so I might as well ask. Where is the best place to park a car for a couple days without having any problems with someone breaking into it? I'm planning on camping in the Hall H line starting Thursday night for the Saturday panels and I'm not going to get a room for Thursday thru Saturday so I won't have to waste money on a room I won't be in those days. I was thinking the Walmart near Qualcomm but I don't know how safe it is there. I'll be traveling back and forth to it to change clothes but I'm just nervous about it.
You could park for free at Courtyard Marriott Airport/Liberty Station and catch the free SDCC shuttle back and forth.  Not a sketchy area at all.  Parking lot shared with a strip mall with a couple of restaurants and opposite a park.  The shuttle ride can be a little long though

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Waterfront Shuttle:

Offline Voxygrl

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
We live in CA, and got an airbnb place for the week out near Qualcomm Stadium for SDCC. Here I thought I was being all smart, avoiding Hotelpocalypse and high costs of rooms, but am now realizing that it poses a problem when you're driving in from out of town. It will be my husband, my 4 year old, and my 18 month old, attending all days of the con. I was sort of counting on being able to get a spot in the Ace Parking lottery, but didn't. Nooo! I need to get us as close to the convention center as possible, to lessen the walking time, since the kiddos get tired quickly.

What would you all suggest? I know there is a trolley, and free shuttles from many areas. My concern is that we'll have a stroller (are those allowed on shuttles/trolleys?). If we're unable to get a parking spot in the public parking sale once that's open, what might be the best shuttle/trolley stops to consider that have free or lower cost parking nearby (we won't have a hotel parking permit, since we're not staying at any of them), and avoid a massive rush? I mean, I know there will be crowds, but is there a stop we should start at at the beginning of the shuttle run that will not already be full, to be able to get a stroller on and keep the kids from getting trampled? Uber and Lyft is also unfortunately out, since they would need a car seat legally.

...and yes, I know it's not ideal to bring little ones along. I'm coming on a Creative Professional badge, and they're very used to going to cons with me. They love getting dressed up and seeing everything. But I do want to minimize extra stress and crowds for them if at all possible! This will be our first time at Comic Con, so I'm really nervous about navigating the public transportation side of it with kiddos, not knowing what to expect.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »
We live in CA, and got an airbnb place for the week out near Qualcomm Stadium for SDCC. Here I thought I was being all smart, avoiding Hotelpocalypse and high costs of rooms, but am now realizing that it poses a problem when you're driving in from out of town. It will be my husband, my 4 year old, and my 18 month old, attending all days of the con. I was sort of counting on being able to get a spot in the Ace Parking lottery, but didn't. Nooo! I need to get us as close to the convention center as possible, to lessen the walking time, since the kiddos get tired quickly.

What would you all suggest? I know there is a trolley, and free shuttles from many areas. My concern is that we'll have a stroller (are those allowed on shuttles/trolleys?). If we're unable to get a parking spot in the public parking sale once that's open, what might be the best shuttle/trolley stops to consider that have free or lower cost parking nearby (we won't have a hotel parking permit, since we're not staying at any of them), and avoid a massive rush? I mean, I know there will be crowds, but is there a stop we should start at at the beginning of the shuttle run that will not already be full, to be able to get a stroller on and keep the kids from getting trampled? Uber and Lyft is also unfortunately out, since they would need a car seat legally.

...and yes, I know it's not ideal to bring little ones along. I'm coming on a Creative Professional badge, and they're very used to going to cons with me. They love getting dressed up and seeing everything. But I do want to minimize extra stress and crowds for them if at all possible! This will be our first time at Comic Con, so I'm really nervous about navigating the public transportation side of it with kiddos, not knowing what to expect.
Just park at Qualcomm Stadium and take the trolley from there. Easy breezy. Yes you can take a stroller on the trolley, I'd fold it for the ride though to make room for other riders

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2017, 04:20:39 AM »

Strollers are allowed on the free SDCC shuttles(they are buses with storage underneath for suitcases and the like).  Some hotels outside of the gaslamp/downtown area don't actually charge for parking.   Soon the shuttle routes will be released(I don't think routes have changed much in years, could just look at last year's shuttle route). Park at a hotel outside the downtown area that is the first stop on a route, that way you get on and know you have room for your entire family.  Obviously call the hotel to determine the parking situation.  As I've mentioned in the past, Courtyard Marriott Airport/Liberty Station is ideal.  Free parking, usually first stop on its route, in a safe area.

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
I'll stay near a SD trolley station this year (this is my first year) but my question is, does anyone know if the schedule is extended for the trolley during the convention days? My route will be on the red line of the trolley, does that line get schedule modification?

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #298 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »
I'll stay near a SD trolley station this year (this is my first year) but my question is, does anyone know if the schedule is extended for the trolley during the convention days? My route will be on the red line of the trolley, does that line get schedule modification?

They do extend the trolley hours on weekends. I believe until 1am. However, there is not a Red Line. We have Orange, Blue and Green lines. The Convention Center is on the Green Line. Every line goes downtown though.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
They do extend the trolley hours on weekends. I believe until 1am. However, there is not a Red Line. We have Orange, Blue and Green lines. The Convention Center is on the Green Line. Every line goes downtown though.
Sorry, I meant the Orange line