Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137486 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2018, 10:13:38 PM »
You can't park overnight there. Parking will be free though during the hours that the trolley runs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
Yea, i can see how they limit so that whatever happens at the lot they have some kinda patrol make sure no baddies ruin they fun of able to use the space for the day and hope no leaves any trash or bs behind before they leave the lot to go back home or place they stay any. not sure how many use to go to con but guessing alot and if any left trash for any reason i can see it may affect if able to use next year if at all.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 07:34:26 AM »

Offline Sublime

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
I have a question regarding the hotel shuttle buses. This is the first time that we were not able to get 4-day badges, but only Thursday and Sunday. We are planning on checking out the offsite stuff on Friday and Saturday.

My question is, if we don't have a badge for Friday and Saturday, can we still use the hotel shuttle to get around on those days? Do the shuttles check the day on your badge?

Offline OMBGREGREY

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
I have a question regarding the hotel shuttle buses. This is the first time that we were not able to get 4-day badges, but only Thursday and Sunday. We are planning on checking out the offsite stuff on Friday and Saturday.

My question is, if we don't have a badge for Friday and Saturday, can we still use the hotel shuttle to get around on those days? Do the shuttles check the day on your badge?
I haven't seen anyone check people's badges before boarding the bus so I think you shouldn't have any issues . I also only got Thursday and Sunday badges this year.. (bummer)

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:29 AM »
I haven't seen anyone check people's badges before boarding the bus so I think you shouldn't have any issues . I also only got Thursday and Sunday badges this year.. (bummer)

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Concur.  I've taken the shuttle several times each of the last 4 years and have never had anyone ask for a badge. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
I remember one year i had gone to con long time ago and just by chance got on a charter bus or shuttle and no badge check and just rode it to a stop close to the trolley depot to catch a coaster home cause not wanna take bus at time i guess just for fun of it lol. at time by chance met up with somebody i think i knew so was cool at time. so just be sure u know stop u want to get off at so not miss it any lol.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
As an aside, during comic con there were a lot of craiglist ads of people offering rides to and from the convention center. I have no clue to reliability but might be of use to those staying off the beaten path like Ocean Beach.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
If anything i take city bus to trolley depot and trolley to center. do alot walking, and take breaks at random times.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »
Good afternoon everyone, I’m thinking of taking family on Pacific Surfliner up to Anaheim on Monday after convention. What’s it like on Monday mid morning? Is it busy? Should I get reserved seating? And is reserved seating worth it? Some questions but any additional information would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »
Good afternoon everyone, I’m thinking of taking family on Pacific Surfliner up to Anaheim on Monday after convention. What’s it like on Monday mid morning? Is it busy? Should I get reserved seating? And is reserved seating worth it? Some questions but any additional information would be appreciated. Thank you

Im guessing taking the pac surfliner is kinda like amtrak, i have not taken it before just only coaster once by chance and just had pay lil more but was cool sceneic route along the coast to see how and the ocean along the way. try this link - and hope it helps more. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »

I took the Surfliner a decent amount of times during uni and even very early morning. Now, I can't say exactly how it is in at the Depot downtown, but it's usually early morning that's the problem. Now, I imagine there will be people taking it to north stops maybe for work, but I imagine it'd clear out closer to North County SD.

As for whether you should get reserved seats, it does depend. I'd expect it to be busier on a Monday morning, just after the weekend, some regular drivers won't want to, etc. However, I've only had trouble finding seats a handful of times, even seats together. Those times are usually Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. and the stops near the universities, which you won't be hitting any of those times. So, personally I wouldn't go for reserved seats.

As for other information, I'm not sure exactly what you'd like. Regarding food options, I'd bring your own food if you want breakfast, the food on the trains/surfliners are maybe a bit of a step-up from convention food, but not great. The train is right by the coast until you get out of SD and then I think I remember that it goes a bit inland to hit the Santa Ana airport then Anaheim etc. It is a smooth and pretty ride, of course one side will have a better view each way, but even if you're not in the "prime" seats, you can see out the windows very well, as there's more room between seats etc.

If you do it, I recommend sitting near a stairwell, generally upstairs, I don't think downstairs have seats by them. You will have more movement around you, which depending on your family you might not want, but the stairwells generally have LARGE unimpeded windows along them. So it's easy to look outside even if you're not on the side you may want.

I hope that helped? Sorry that I can't give you a mid-morning perspective on the crowding. I only ever traveled from SD or arrived in SD at like 8PM-2AM or at 6AM.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
I took the Surfliner a decent amount of times during uni and even very early morning. Now, I can't say exactly how it is in at the Depot downtown, but it's usually early morning that's the problem. Now, I imagine there will be people taking it to north stops maybe for work, but I imagine it'd clear out closer to North County SD.

As for whether you should get reserved seats, it does depend. I'd expect it to be busier on a Monday morning, just after the weekend, some regular drivers won't want to, etc. However, I've only had trouble finding seats a handful of times, even seats together. Those times are usually Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. and the stops near the universities, which you won't be hitting any of those times. So, personally I wouldn't go for reserved seats.

As for other information, I'm not sure exactly what you'd like. Regarding food options, I'd bring your own food if you want breakfast, the food on the trains/surfliners are maybe a bit of a step-up from convention food, but not great. The train is right by the coast until you get out of SD and then I think I remember that it goes a bit inland to hit the Santa Ana airport then Anaheim etc. It is a smooth and pretty ride, of course one side will have a better view each way, but even if you're not in the "prime" seats, you can see out the windows very well, as there's more room between seats etc.

If you do it, I recommend sitting near a stairwell, generally upstairs, I don't think downstairs have seats by them. You will have more movement around you, which depending on your family you might not want, but the stairwells generally have LARGE unimpeded windows along them. So it's easy to look outside even if you're not on the side you may want.

I hope that helped? Sorry that I can't give you a mid-morning perspective on the crowding. I only ever traveled from SD or arrived in SD at like 8PM-2AM or at 6AM.
Awesome thank you for information this helps out a bunch. Now I’m thinking I don’t need reserve seating so just get on and enjoy the ride.

Offline Sublime

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
Does anyone know if taxis line up at the convention center?
We will be located at a hotel that is not on the shuttle route and I'm just wondering if taxis are readily available for the ride back to the hotel. Thanks for any info!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
Does anyone know if taxis line up at the convention center?
We will be located at a hotel that is not on the shuttle route and I'm just wondering if taxis are readily available for the ride back to the hotel. Thanks for any info!

I don't recall seeing them at the convention center but you can probably find some by walking to a nearby hotel. Which hotel are you at? If it's off of the shuttle route I've probably stayed there before.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »
[member=6941]Sublime[/member] I think they reserve the front of the Convention Center for shuttle buses and media. But you can definitely get a taxi at the Marriott Marquis, which is literally attached to the convention center.

Or you could cross Harbor and get a taxi in the Gaslamp and probably save yourself ~10 minutes of going nowhere b/c of massive pedestrian crowds.