Author Topic: Avoiding Bed Bugs while traveling  (Read 4530 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6597
Avoiding Bed Bugs while traveling
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
While I have not (i think) come into contact with these little critters, I do check for them because I refuse to give up traveling.
Knowledge is the first line of defense;

Check to see if the hotel you're staying at has had reports of BedBugs.  However consider the source. I'm planing on staying in a hotel in April which has a report on it.  The report says "there was a big brown bug on my bed", well Bed Bugs aren't Big...or a report i read 'bug in the bathtub'  bed bugs usually aren't found in bathrooms.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 
the latter is a good source of unbiased reviews.

But remember/know, BebBugs are usually confined to a room. Consequently one hotel room could have then & the next could not.

Second, when you arrive, put your luggage in the bathroom & check your room.  Here's how; You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Keep your luggage off the floor

Here is are some pictures of massive infestations, these are gross.  I included this link to show the fecal spots. I have read that is the most common sign of an infestation, consequently that's what i look for in a hotel room. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's pictures of the little buggers; You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 8880
Re: Avoiding Bed Bugs while traveling
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
This is gross!!! Still, it's good information to have, so that if you ever see it, you will know.

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
Bed bugs were almost eradicated in the US until they banned DDT (the pesticide) many years ago. We don't currently have a safe pesticide that will kill them as effectively so they are making a resurgence.

While we all would like to avoid bedbugs the reality is that wherever you have travelers there at some point will likely be bedbugs. Even in 5 star hotels. They don't just come up out of the ground into the rooms, people transport them there, either on their persons or in their luggage. To keep out bedbugs you would have to screen every person that stays at the hotel. The mark of a good hotel is that they take care of any problems right away. You're probably more likely to experience problems in low budget motels but as you can see from the registry, good hotels may have them too (and it's probably not their fault). I wouldn't let a report of a bedbug sighting deter me from staying at a good hotel.

I think people should look at the good information in the link about how to check your room for bedbugs, other than that, don't stress about it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:19:05 AM by KirbySS »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
the best advice i read once is
check the rm & don't stress during the trip but *be careful* when you get hm

don't walk in & put your suitcase on the bed
do inspect your luggage seams
put all your clothes in the washer/hot dryer asap you get hm

are just some suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:15:09 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
This is good advice and thanks for the links. I'm always looking for the little critters when we go on vacation.

Offline tarrbear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the sources! But like you said, trip advisor is a good place for unbiased reviews. When it comes to travelling and finding a hotel, that site is my bible XD

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
I should at first say- i seemed to have had a near miss, but a miss non the less

I had occasion to stay in a hotel a week or two ago- i checked the room but found no signs. After a bit we turned out the lights & crashed for an hr.  when i turned the lights back on, there was a sm bug crawling across the sheet on my chest.  Thankfully i kept my wit's & caught the bug.  All tho i can't be sure, it looked like a first stage BB.  I brought the critter (in a cup) to the manager, asked to speak privately, was given a new room & my stay was comped.   I asked for large garbage bags.

I'm going to outline the process i used to help insure i didn't bring them back.

when i left the rm to speak with the manager i had my son put all the suitcases into the bathroom.  I brought back a garbage bag, we striped & put the infected cloths into the bag. We moved everything into the new room.  I took a shower & put those clothes into the garbage bag.

From that point on, only new purchases when into the car. Upon leaving the hotel, we changed clothes just before leaving and everything from the room went into garbage bags except for my phone & my wallet.

when we got home, my son stripped in the garage & took a shower.  dirty clothes into a garbage bag.  I off loaded all the garbage bags from the hotel into the garage & took my shower.

here's the key, i've got a Pack-tite, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which made things much easier on me.  I was able to heat all the stuff from the room to 120 degrees for an hr insuring that every stage of the bug was dead.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
Wow, that's scary! Did you find any more bugs in the rest of your clothes?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:55:54 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
no- but i wasn't going to take any chances- i suspect the hotel rm had problems & they thought it had been eradicated but it wasn't.  so my sense is that it was a sm infestation which is backed up by the fact that i didn't find traces-

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Also backed up by the fact that they responded to your concerns so quickly!

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
Seems like a PITA to deal w/ - as bad as lice!
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
worse then head lice- by all reports, 'cuz they live off body.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
I certainly wouldn't want them... and wouldn't want to bring them home!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 340
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
After reading some of the statements on the bedbug registy website I am now completely freaked out and will have to perform a thorough inspection of my room upon check in.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:33 AM »
sorry Kevin, my 13 year old is freaked too

we had an odd thing happen recently, I was getting bitten & freaked thinking of bb's.  come to find out it was just fleas.<grin> Everyone I spoke to abt them, the vet, pet store couldn't understand why I was so calm abt the fleas.  I finally told them 'fleas are way easier to deal with then bb's'

I think the fleas are gone ....<yay>