Author Topic: What hotel(s) have you stayed in for CCI? (Hotel Review/Feedback Thread)  (Read 137639 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Ers, don't give up hope! Keep checking the TP site every day, especially after the 'refund deadline' passes. Hotel rooms WILL show up again, and if you're fast, you will be able to nab them!

Offline Ers

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Transmute Jun,Thank you for the kind words, I will do just that!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
Stayed at the Westin, back when it was the Omni, right next to Horton Plaza. Great place, very convenient and a great pool area. Read reviews of construction noise recently, but they should be done by summer.

Hilton San Diego Bayfront, back in 2006 they had shuttles running out there, so made it a lot easier to get to the center and back. Great views across the bay to downtown and North Island base, usual  excellent room/staff as Hilton should be doing.

Chula Vista Bay Breeze, would not repeat, a little dumpy with a lumpy mattress.

South of the border stuff:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Stayed here for a couple nites in the past, but I work in a trip to visit a friend who has a house in Mexico, so crossing the border isn't a problem for me, just time your return back to the states so you aren't trapped in the commuter traffic.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Wife and I stayed in the Bali Suite here, had a 22 buck a nite deal on a Wednesday before their busy weekend traffic. We go back about twice a year, weekends aren't easy to get; would compare this room to a nicer room at the Disneyworld resort, somewhere between the Swan/Dolphin and the Port Orleans.

"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hilton San Diego Bayfront, back in 2006 they had shuttles running out there, so made it a lot easier to get to the center and back. Great views across the bay to downtown and North Island base, usual  excellent room/staff as Hilton should be doing.

Did they change the name? The bayfront is the one right next to the con and was only opened a couple of years ago.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
This Hilton was directly west of the airport, up around the marina across from the North Island Naval Air Station, just below MCRD, acutually called Hilton Airport/Harbor Island. I better not go from memory at my age  :-\

Offline kundun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
Stayed in Indigo last year and in 2010 it was the Sheraton Symphony Suites.

@icedog1787  Staying at Indigo with wife and kids (2 and 5).  Plan to park at hotel.  Any advice (ask for certain floors, amenities, is parking in/out relatively easy, etc.).  Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
What hotel(s) have you stayed in for CCI? (Hotel Review/Feedback Thread)
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »
I came to this thread, hoping to get some advance intel on our hotel for this year; the Hilton Gaslamp. In years precious, we've stayed at a friends relatives house, about ten minutes outside of San Diego, or Holiday Inn Downtown - this'll be our first year using Travel Planners and landing the Hilton. Anyone stayed here before, can you let us know what to expect?
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
I haven't stayed at that hotel, but I've visited the grounds. Last year they had computer gaming events on the ground floor and patio area, which was cool. It's right across the street from the Convention Center, so an awesome location!

Offline doubleshiny

• Sails Pavilion
3/4 years I stayed at the Good Nite Inn Sea World. This is not a plush hotel, but it's clean and very cheap, around $80 per night for a room with two queens. Across the road is a Denny's where you get a 10% discount.

It's near Old Town, about 15 minutes walk from Old Town trolley. Cab from the convention centre costs around $15.

If you're not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel, this is the place. Staff are really nice and helpful.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
Didn't stay for The Con, but did a theatre package with dinner/show/room at the Bristol, very cool place just north of Horton Plaza. No pool area, but nice rooms, funky colors. Would repeat.

Offline Cassandra

• Sails Pavilion
    • Website
Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Mission Valley before? To be honest I would have liked a hotel much closer (I thought I was originally booked at the Omni, but stuff happens) but sometimes we have to make do.

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
I've stayed at the following hotels over the years:

Embassy Suites San Diego Bay,Westin, Bristol, Holiday Inn, and Hilton Bayfront.  All were fairly decent.  The only time I had any problems was the Bristol.  The appliances there sucked and they didn't have enough outlets for all of us to use.  Hilton Bayfront is my absolute favorite hotel.  Proximity + bar + excellent staff. 

This year I'm at the Marriott Gaslamp, but really because I had a bunch of points to use and they had some availability, which surprised me!

Offline Daniel H

• Exhibit Hall
  • Hiya!
I'm surprised they let you use your points. I'm platinum elite with the Marriott and they didn't let us use points at all which is too bad because I have a ton of them...they did let us gain points.

I think the year before they let us use points but not this year. I wonder why?
The church is near but the road is icy, the bar is far away but I will walk carefully.

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
I'm surprised they let you use your points. I'm platinum elite with the Marriott and they didn't let us use points at all which is too bad because I have a ton of them...they did let us gain points.

I think the year before they let us use points but not this year. I wonder why?

I think it was just luck, honestly.  I was on the website at one point and checked randomly, and they had a room available, but I had just used a bunch of points and didn't have enough.  When I did have enough again, I checked and there weren't any points rooms available any more.  After that, I checked every day for about 2-3 weeks until it popped back up and snagged it.    I thought it was a fluke and checked my reservation several times but it's still there!  I booked it sometime in March, I think?

Offline doubleshiny

• Sails Pavilion
I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront (I think that's the one opposite the Star of India?) and I'll be stayin there again this year. It was nice, really enjoyed the fact that it had a cheap restaurant and bar and was right next to a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Also I was able to walk to the con every day as it was pretty much a straight line.

I have also stayed at the Good Nite Inn Seaworld which is a ten minute walk from the Old Town Trolley Stop. I would recommend this for people on a budget as it was about $90 per night for a room with two queens. It's opposite a 24 hours Dennys and a strip club, so maybe not for families. I was a repeat customer there because it was clean, very cheap, and served as somewhere to just set down your stuff and go back out. I really see any time you're in a hotel room during the con as wasted time, so it suited me.