Author Topic: Use UBER while traveling around throughout the convention season :)  (Read 3432 times)

Offline ahndrayuh

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
Hi Guys!

Not sure if this is allowed here but I work for Uber and I was able to help us comic con travelers around by having a promo code that takes of $20 (for first time riders ONLY). It's pretty simple, just sign up and apply this promo code "COMICBOOKS" and BAM! you get $20 off your ride with Uber.

If your wondering what cities were located in you can check here.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you have any specific question's please let me know!

Convention season is finally in full swing so I want to make sure you guys get around these different cities and locations safely. :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Use UBER while traveling around throughout the convention season :)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »
We tend to frown on spam/advertising but smile on geeky coupon/deals.  So yeah, you're right to ask.  ;)

Perhaps a little rewording to make it less advertising?
Personally i'd like some more info on how it actually works.  Also, the comic coupon is only good for the first trip, so it's just like the  "get $20 off your first ride
with promo code ubercode2014" ?

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
I havent used UBER but it's like Lyft. Cheaper than taxis. You use an app to get the closest driver. Probably convenient for travelers who dont know the area well or dont have a car. But our downtown is so small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angel_k

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
At first this seemed spammy but on second glance this actually could be useful.  So thanks! Though I'm agreeing with Alyssa that it reads as a spammy advert at first lol.  Depending on where my hotel is this may come in handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »
Only issue I have is the area in and around downtown is such a mess.  Pedestrians, trolleys, buses, pedicabs and of course all the cars (both taxis and regular folks driving).  I can't imagine what an uber driver will be going through trying to pick up his/her fare during that mess, especially during the closing time when there is the mass of humanity getting out.

On the other hand, the offer makes no mention to even USE it during Comic Con, you get a credit regardless it seems.  So, I won't mind using this to sign up.

Offline ahndrayuh

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
Sorry if this is coming off as "spammy" lol. I'm really trying to make it seem that way. I'm just trying to help us CON attendee's out with the travels throughout the year..I know I should have worded it differently if this is becoming a problem I really don't mind if it gets taken down. (i'll keep in mind for future notice if i post anywhere else lol)

As for more details, this code can be used for other events or uses other then just CON's.

And I believe it'll help a lot of you attending SDCC, Uber has a driver provider called UBERX which is equalivant to a taxi (except for 40% cheaper) and not many cities that have Uber have the service UberX. So it's a lot better then getting a black car or a big SUV.

Alyssa: yes, the code is only good for first time users "COMICBOOKS" gets you $20 off ride.

Hope this helps, again if it's too "spammy" please feel free to take it down. I don't mean too..I just want to help :)  (also, this isn't just used in San Diego, you can use the code anywhere else Uber is located)

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:06 AM »
I seem to recall stories of Uber jacking the prices way up during busy periods. New Year's Eve was the example I recall of that but just substitute "New Year's Eve" with "Comic-Con". They claimed to do it to match supply with demand so that customers didn't have to wait for a ride. On the demand side it would discourage some people from booking with them and on the supply side it would encourage drivers who normally wouldn't work on a holiday to work. But, it also had the nice benefit for Uber of making them a lot more money.

A $20 code during Comic-Con could help offset a peak period price multiplier and come in very handy.

ahndrayuh, in the interest of disclosure, is there any benefit to you (and if so what) if a customer uses this coupon?

Offline ahndrayuh

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I seem to recall stories of Uber jacking the prices way up during busy periods. New Year's Eve was the example I recall of that but just substitute "New Year's Eve" with "Comic-Con". They claimed to do it to match supply with demand so that customers didn't have to wait for a ride. On the demand side it would discourage some people from booking with them and on the supply side it would encourage drivers who normally wouldn't work on a holiday to work. But, it also had the nice benefit for Uber of making them a lot more money.

A $20 code during Comic-Con could help offset a peak period price multiplier and come in very handy.

ahndrayuh, in the interest of disclosure, is there any benefit to you (and if so what) if a customer uses this coupon?

for me personally, the only thing i'd be getting out of this is credit but as for monetary value..i have a personal code for that.

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 05:02:44 PM »
My friend used Uber last year when we went to Comic-con. He travels a lot for work, and uses Uber quite a bit. After we got our luggage at the airport, he used the app and within 5-10 minutes our driver arrived (black Jaguar). For about the same price as a taxi, he drove us to our downtown hotel. I was impressed, and will probably use Uber this year when I arrive as well.
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
I was skeptical but after seeing the above comments I downloaded the app. I need something to get me to HopCon!

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
Quick question about Uber... is there any way to figure out how much "idling in traffic" costs?  I know the app provides an estimate of how much your trip will cost, but the traffic is so insane I wonder how much of a bump in price there could be during the Con.