Author Topic: SDCC 2015: Condo Booking  (Read 18250 times)

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Re: SDCC 2015: Condo Booking
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Looking at maybe renting a room through airbnb or maybe a whole appartment/condo and renting out the extra space. Would love to hear from others who have done this in the past or who are thinking about it this year. I do have a fear about the owners cancelling a reservation however.. whether it be because of an emergency on their half or them just wanting to get a higher $ for the room. I have a little research to do about that..

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
Just be sure you KNOW that you will have people who are willing to join you. The last thing you want is to be stuck with the entire bill because you couldn't find enough people to split it with.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:23:04 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
best advice abt owners cancelling on you i've heard is to make it clear to the owner in the first convo, that you're booking for sdcc.
i contacted one person & let them know i wanted to book for sdcc & the price went up- no biggie as i'd much rather have that then them cancel it in May. 
I was able to get another place at a great rate & they know it's sdcc- so unless a life emergency happens i'm covered.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline buzglyd

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
Also, if you're booking a timeshare unit from an owner, make sure you get a guest certificate in your name.

At that point, you'll be able to call the front desk and confirm your reservation and it will officially be in your name.

Make a small deposit, get the guest certificate, then pay the balance.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
I've been really unsuccessful in booking a condo. Most renters want to charge an arm and my first unborn baby for a studio/1BR either on airbnb, vrbo, homeaway, etc. I think I'm better off trying my luck in the hotel lottery.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been really unsuccessful in booking a condo. Most renters want to charge an arm and my first unborn baby for a studio/1BR either on airbnb, vrbo, homeaway, etc. I think I'm better off trying my luck in the hotel lottery.

same here... we offered on a couple within the last couple weeks (before and on the day of the sale). Most denied the set price they had put for comic con week or didn't respond at all. One finally messaged back tonight saying that they received over 1000 offers for that week so far and now he's going for whoever is the highest bidder. Oy vey :/ might be out of luck

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
We've been looking at getting a condo for next year. Now I'm slightly worried there won't be any available.

Offline Legal Eagle

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
I have a worldwide timeshare through RCI. It's definitely frustrating when I check up on my timeshare and see that my downtown SD timeshares are already booked during SDCC....just to see some selfish jerkface reselling said timeshare for 5X the timeshare price. The one year I get lucky enough to book my timeshare on time, during SDCC, I'm going to invite any and all FOCCI members to stay with me for the price of free.99
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:53:29 AM by Legal Eagle »
"Now, is my client guilty? Probably....but who cares!? DID HE DO IT? I don't know!!"

Offline buzglyd

• Freebie Table
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »
I have a worldwide timeshare through RCI. It's definitely frustrating when I check up on my timeshare and see that my downtown SD timeshares are already booked during SDCC....just to see some selfish jerkface reselling said timeshare for 5X the timeshare price. The one year I get lucky enough to book my timeshare on time, during SDCC, I'm going to invite any and all FOCCI members to stay with me at market price, which would be about 20 bucks per night.

It would be pretty tough to book an RCI exchange during CC week.

I own in downtown SD and it's even tough for me to reserve my week. You have to do it the minute you hear the upcoming dates or make an educated guess (which is what I did for 2016) for future weeks.

Offline Legal Eagle

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
It would be pretty tough to book an RCI exchange during CC week.

I own in downtown SD and it's even tough for me to reserve my week. You have to do it the minute you hear the upcoming dates or make an educated guess (which is what I did for 2016) for future weeks.

I never realized how often in advance they would get booked! With RCI you can usually throw a dart on the map, log into RCI and boom, booked. Apparently not in SD in July lol. I guess it's a trend to book and resell during CCSD.

Thanks for the tip! This year is definately a no-go but I now have 2016 booked and ready at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites!
"Now, is my client guilty? Probably....but who cares!? DID HE DO IT? I don't know!!"

Offline buzglyd

• Freebie Table
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
I never realized how often in advance they would get booked! With RCI you can usually throw a dart on the map, log into RCI and boom, booked. Apparently not in SD in July lol. I guess it's a trend to book and resell during CCSD.

Thanks for the tip! This year is definately a no-go but I now have 2016 booked and ready at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites!

Technically, RCI does not allow the renting of exchanges although I'm sure it happens all the time.

Do you have 2016 official dates? I just guessed and reserved my week but I guessed incorrectly for 2015 and had to change my reservation once I found the true dates.

Offline Legal Eagle

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
I'm doing exactly the same as far as guessing as we don't have the official dates. If I guess incorrectly I'll attempt to modify the very second the official dates come out. And the modification is not even guaranteed so I'll have my fingers crossed.

I'm learning to navigate the labyrinth that is SDCC as well as the hotel thing. Last year, being my first year and not knowing better, I ended up at Crowne Plaza in Hotel Circle which felt like light years away from all the action. I'm still trying to get somewhere downtown this year. I have one person in this community who has me in mind for a roomie so I hope that works out.

Offline buzglyd

• Freebie Table
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
I'm doing exactly the same as far as guessing as we don't have the official dates. If I guess incorrectly I'll attempt to modify the very second the official dates come out. And the modification is not even guaranteed so I'll have my fingers crossed.

I'm learning to navigate the labyrinth that is SDCC as well as the hotel thing. Last year, being my first year and not knowing better, I ended up at Crowne Plaza in Hotel Circle which felt like light years away from all the action. I'm still trying to get somewhere downtown this year. I have one person in this community who has me in mind for a roomie so I hope that works out.

I'm guessing 7/21-24 for 2016 but I have no inside info. Just guessing.

This is my listing for 2015

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »
The San Diego Convention Center website has an 18 month calendar. Right now it goes up to May 2016. in a month or two you'll be able to see what is booked for July 2016 and then book any 'empty' dates, even if SDCC isn't officially listed.

Offline buzglyd

• Freebie Table
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »
I'm guessing 7/21-24 for 2016 but I have no inside info. Just guessing.

This is my listing for 2015

Oops, I let my link expire.

New one