Author Topic: TripIt & MySched: Millions of Travelers to Organize and Share Their Trips, etc.  (Read 6980 times)

Offline BustAGroove

• Exhibit Hall
  • Nerd Gurl In Search Of A Peaceful Soul
    • FaceBook
  • Liked: 3
I'm posting this information in this thread because it does involve travel planning.  I've been using TripIt (hotel, transportation and dining planning) for a few years.  It came in quite handy to keep tabs on SDCC trolley schedule and routes and as a tool for off-site 'Con events that I didn't want to miss.  A neat feature of TripIt is that it's also a collaborative travel tool where you give access to traveling companions to add or update plans on-the-fly . . . and website and smartphone access is FREE.

Here's an example of how I used TripIt for last year's 'Con:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Here's the MySched programming for last year's Con:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

*I don't like keeping track of paper, only if it's the "green" kind with $.* 

TripIt turns chaos into order by making it easy for anyone to:

Organize trip details into one master online itinerary - even if arrangements are booked at multiple travel sites
Automatically include maps, directions, and weather in their master itinerary
Have the option to book restaurants, theatre tickets, activities, and more right from within the online itinerary
Safely access travel plans online, share them, check-in for flights, or print an itinerary

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:10:34 PM by BustAGroove »
Geek Out - Comic-Con Madness (Pinterest)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
hehe
yeah, this could have helped me last year, I got off the plane & realized i didn't know what car rental company i had a reservation at....<grin>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Sounds like a good way to organize! I'm pretty dorky and old-fashioned... I save booking emails in a folder in my email account, then print out everything and put it all together in a packet for good measure before I leave home.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
yeah, i just forgot to print out the car rental email...got everything else-  it was rather comical actually
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

That's the nice thing about the email folder... if I can get email access, I can find whatever confirmation email I need.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
oh, i had the email on my phone- i just like traveling with paper and at least a clue as to what company i've booked with....

Offline Transmute Jun

Me too. I definitely prefer the paper, as it's easier to show to people if there is a problem with your reservation. But the email is my backup.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Here's an example of how I used TripIt for last year's 'Con:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 
<snip>
Here's the MySched programming for last year's Con:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The first one makes sense, especially for nervous spouses left at home<grin>
eta;-i just set this up, altho a little tricky cuz it wants to do everything for you and my stuff isn't as cut & dried as most, it is remarkably easy to read and all the info is there, even Frequent flyer mile numbers (woo-hoo) show up--

so the pintest....can that be used for a group of people to share their schedules? (I'm just starting to catch on <grin>)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:14:23 AM by alyssa »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
so the pintest....can that be used for a group of people to share their schedules? (I'm just starting to catch on <grin>)

Maybe use a Google Doc and share it with the people in a group to show schedules?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Google doc is to much, I'd love it if the share a sched function worked.....
Hopefully grove will weight in

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
Google doc is to much, I'd love it if the share a sched function worked.....
Hopefully grove will weight in

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, gotcha.  In my experience, it's worked out okay if you share a spreadsheet or something, but yeah, sometimes, Google Docs can get wonky.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

I've never had good luck with Google Docs, even though I use Chrome. Somehow it's always messing up...

Offline BustAGroove

• Exhibit Hall
  • Nerd Gurl In Search Of A Peaceful Soul
    • FaceBook
  • Liked: 3
The first one makes sense, especially for nervous spouses left at home<grin>
eta;-i just set this up, altho a little tricky cuz it wants to do everything for you and my stuff isn't as cut & dried as most, it is remarkably easy to read and all the info is there, even Frequent flyer mile numbers (woo-hoo) show up--

In reference to the Pinterest link for MySched:  MySched works similar to TripIt.  But, for MySched you don't need to send a link to your FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. friends.  When you set up your MySched account, you'll get a prompt to authorize MySched to share what panels you're going to with your FB, Twitter, etc. friends.  You can toggle MySched so that it'll only show your own schedule or overlays with your pals' schedules, too.   

For example, I'm going to The Dark Knight Rises panel in Hall H (I wish!!!) on July 14 at 2:00 pm and I see that 5 of my FB and 2 of my Twitter pals are also attending that same panel, etc.  I could ping them on FB, Twitter, etc. to let them know that I'll be in line at 4:00 am and save them a seat in return for some FRINGEonFOX swag. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:32:11 PM by BustAGroove »
Geek Out - Comic-Con Madness (Pinterest)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
In reference to the Pinterest link for MySched:  MySched works similar to TripIt.  But, for MySched you don't need to send a link to your FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. friends.  When you set up your MySched account, you'll get a prompt to authorize MySched to share what panels you're going to with your FB, Twitter, etc. friends.  You can toggle MySched so that it'll only show your own schedule or overlays with your pals' schedules, too.   

For example, I'm going to The Dark Knight Rises panel in Hall H (I wish!!!) on July 14 at 2:00 pm and I see that 5 of my FB and 2 of my Twitter pals are also attending that same panel, etc.  I could ping them on FB, Twitter, etc. to let them know that I'll be in line at 4:00 am and save them a seat in return for some FRINGEonFOX swag. 

I really like the functionality of MySched. I've used it for a few other cons but haven't done it for Comic-Con specifically.  (The only thing is that as long as the event times and locations don't change too much and/or they are consistently updated during con, it'll work out nicely.)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator

yeah, the mysched didn't work so good last year, i was never able to see my friends sched's.  that's why i had the thought by sending the mysched to pintest I might be able to work some magic<grin>