Author Topic: Credit Cards, presenting  (Read 2657 times)

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
Credit Cards, presenting
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Do we have to present the credit card that we used to pay with at check in - dad has paid it on his card for the FF points, and won't be traveling with me (and I guarantee he's not going to give me his credit card)

Anyone know?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Credit Cards, presenting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:26:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do we have to present the credit card that we used to pay with at check in - dad has paid it on his card for the FF points, and won't be traveling with me (and I guarantee he's not going to give me his credit card)

Anyone know?

No.  Usually, during check-in, most hotels ask you for a credit card or debit card to be applied to the room for incidental charges, like room service, for example.  It doesn't have to be the same one that the room was paid for, but if you're not sure, since various hotels might different policies, I would recommend calling the actual hotel's front desk and asking about their policies on putting a credit card or debit card down for a room when you check in.

Hope that helps!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:20:21 PM »

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
No.  Usually, during check-in, most hotels ask you for a credit card or debit card to be applied to the room for incidental charges, like room service, for example.  It doesn't have to be the same one that the room was paid for, but if you're not sure, since various hotels might different policies, I would recommend calling the actual hotel's front desk and asking about their policies on putting a credit card or debit card down for a room when you check in.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I wasn't sure. Here a lot of hotels ask to present the card booked with, it's a fraud prevention thing.

I'll give the hotel a call in the morning (it's late on sunday already, here it's mid-afternoon monday)

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »
Most likely not.  A few years back, the card I used for the deposit with Travel Planners got hacked with fraudulent charges not too long before the start of SDCC and I was able to use another card at that hotel without any problems. 

Offline flipology

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
no no no no no and no

i work the front desk here in las vegas and i can tell you if it is your dad's card and he's not there, we're not taking it. it has to do with fraud protection because we have to match an ID to the credit card itself.

now if your dad is paying for it and wont be there, you can ask the front desk to send you over a credit card authorization form. it allows your dad to fill it out (itll have things like insert card number and some hotels may have him copy the card on it as well). what happens from there is that room assignments or reservations will take it, call him to verify and get other information. once that is done, then you no longer need your dad to be there.

on the credit card authorization form, he can also put that he wants to pay incidentals (if the hotel gives that option, ive worked at 3 hotels and only 2 allow a cc auth form incidentals while the 3rd did not)

Offline flipology

• Freebie Table
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
Most likely not.  A few years back, the card I used for the deposit with Travel Planners got hacked with fraudulent charges not too long before the start of SDCC and I was able to use another card at that hotel without any problems.

thats all good but he doesnt want to switch cards the way i took his post. he wants to leave it on his dad's card.

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 05:06:08 AM »
thats all good but he doesnt want to switch cards the way i took his post. he wants to leave it on his dad's card.

She, haha

Offline flipology

• Freebie Table
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »
She, haha
ah sorry, usually just type "he" by default

Offline anaria

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
I agree with what @flipanda said. We had this issue when a room was booked through our company with a credit card for a week long class several of us were attending. At check-in, they wanted a credit card for authorization. We had present our own to get our room and then sort out the authorization form the next day with the office. Is it possible he'll add you as an additional cardholder? Can't you set limits?

@anaria

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:56:46 AM »
Hi all, thanks for your responses. I called the hotel this evening (9pm PT, 3pm AEST)

They told me they were paid through TP, so I should check with TP.

I will call TP in a few hours.

The hotel told me that all I would need to present at check in was a card for incidentals.

I will confirm this with TP.

And to ^ above, no, Dad is not going to add me on a card...that would be a bad idea for everyone. I don't even own a credit card (I have a debit card, that I can use for internet and OS transactions, but dad books big stuff for the points and I pay him back - and then it results in me getting taken overseas every so often, yay!)

Offline flipology

• Freebie Table
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
Hi all, thanks for your responses. I called the hotel this evening (9pm PT, 3pm AEST)

They told me they were paid through TP, so I should check with TP.

I will call TP in a few hours.

The hotel told me that all I would need to present at check in was a card for incidentals.

I will confirm this with TP.

And to ^ above, no, Dad is not going to add me on a card...that would be a bad idea for everyone. I don't even own a credit card (I have a debit card, that I can use for internet and OS transactions, but dad books big stuff for the points and I pay him back - and then it results in me getting taken overseas every so often, yay!)

so with 3rd party reservations, which tp is doing, the hotel is correct. we do not need the credit card present because we in fact cannot see what card was used. what happens with third party reservations is that the hotel will charge tp in this case and tp will pay the hotel.

the only thing you need to do however is make sure that tp is paid in full! secondly if you want incidentals you still need to present a card in your name.

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
so with 3rd party reservations, which tp is doing, the hotel is correct. we do not need the credit card present because we in fact cannot see what card was used. what happens with third party reservations is that the hotel will charge tp in this case and tp will pay the hotel.

the only thing you need to do however is make sure that tp is paid in full! secondly if you want incidentals you still need to present a card in your name.

That's what I thought, but on the phone to TP to confirm now

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 06:37:40 AM »
OK, just spoke to TP  (2 seconds on hold!)

They told me that as far as they were concerned, if the credit card went through, the hotel doesn't care, they got paid through TP - All I have to do is present something for incidentals.

The card can be in space for all they care (my words)

Offline flipology

• Freebie Table
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:44 AM »
OK, just spoke to TP  (2 seconds on hold!)

They told me that as far as they were concerned, if the credit card went through, the hotel doesn't care, they got paid through TP - All I have to do is present something for incidentals.

The card can be in space for all they care (my words)

hey good for you! now i just need to call cause i still havent gotten charged yet.

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
hey good for you! now i just need to call cause i still havent gotten charged yet.

Dad's not been charged either, but lots of people haven't, I'll give it until the end of the week and then check