Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84036 times)

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »
Name of Hotel: Residence Inn Downtown/Bayfront

Type of Room: 1 bedroom suite with a king and pull-out queen (originally had a studio, randomly got upgraded) [had two rooms, but same thing]

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2016 - this is a brand new hotel, only been open 5 months.

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
A few.  There is a little market-type place inside the hotel itself and its situation really close to Little Italy which has a lot of nice food options.  There is a deli like right across the street but since its a Residence Inn it has a little kitchenette already inside.  The Ralphs is like a 5-10 walk away.  Also has complimentary breakfast every morning and out of all the Residence Inns in the area, I think this one had the best spread.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Oh man are they!  Every hotel employee was super friendly, greeted us at every turn and were very engaging in conversation.

* Did you order room service?
 Nope ~

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There is a gym and a reasonably sized pool all on the fifth floor.  I didn't use the pool but my sister said it was nice and my niece absolutely loved it.  It has a beautiful view of the bay and has a nice patio area also.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Yes!  The suite was really spacious and I was able to lay out all our costumes without a worry.  We probably also could have easily fit more people into it but eh, more spreading out for us.  Was surprised they didn't cram more furniture in there; the the closet was a liiiittle small but when you have a lot of costumes that are a little big.. everything seems small, haha.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Valet, I think, was like $45?  Self Parking I'm not sure..

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
On foot it would take like 15 minutes, unless you took long detours like I accidentally did one day.  The shuttle didn't seem too far but we mostly took the trolley since the Santa Fe station stop was right across the street.  The convention center was only 2 or 3 stops (depending on where you wanted to get off) from there.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Didn't seem like it.  Sometimes you could hear the planes since it wasn't too far from the airport or the horns of the ships from the bay.  But it wasn't like distracting or anything.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yup!  A standard setup for free and like a super fast set up for a fee.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Not a member

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
I mentioned it before that the hotel is only like 5 months old, so it is still very new.  It apparently has two parts to it, the Residence Inn side of it and the SpringHill Suites, I really have no idea what the difference is between the two but I believe the RI all have kitchenettes in them which is always a plus for those handy snacks and stuff.  We didn't really utilize it this year as much as we have in the past with other RI (we didn't cook) but it was nice to have an actual refrigerator to hold stuff.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.
Beautiful view of the bay with a gigantic aircraft carrier just sitting in the water (it has patriotic lights at night).  The staff was super friendly as I mentioned and the rooms were pretty awesome.  The bed was really comfy also which I tend to be nitpicky about and the pillows were nice.  I rather liked the location even though its a little removed from the hub-bub of the con goings but its not terrible if you trolley or walk it.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
The one major thing I didn't like about the hotel was the shower.  Maybe it was an accessible shower since it didn't have a door to close?  I dunno, but it was a little slippery and also I don't think it drained properly at least for a long shower.  Maybe it was mine, my sister said her's was okay drain wise but she also wasn't fond of the design.. especially with a small child.  The construction was a little annoying at times too since the sidewalk was closed often and we had take a longer route to get to the trolley but that should all be finished up in 2018? xD  Also didn't like one street we walked down, the sidewalk was all busted up and I was worried if I was wearing like high heels I would have hurt myself but the street is easily avoidable.

I've stayed at each of the Residence Inns now and while Gaslamp pulls a little ahead because of its location I think this one is great hotel and I totally recommend it even with the wanky shower.  It'll be on my list for next year's hotelpocalypse ~

Offline hoserzgirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
Name of Hotel: Wyndham Bayside
Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?) 2 Full sized beds
Number of Nights You Stayed: 5
Year(s) You Stayed There: 2016
Hotel Review:
This is closer to the con, but with the foot traffic you will need to plan accordingly for longer travel time.
We ate 4 of the 5 days at the HAZELWOOD'S BAYSIDE DELI. Prices were reasonable to downtown so instead of hassling with traffic, we ordered for pick up and ate before going out. They closed late at 11pm so we even ordered one night at 1030pm and picked up a hot meal before going to our room. Plus the staff was very courteous and friendly. The restraint was clean. The food was OK. Deli type food although my husband said their salsa was great on the breakfast burritos.   
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The staff was very courteous and friendly housekeepers would greet us leaving in the morning. They left extra TP and towels after they gauged our use the first night. 
They have a pool, which we never used.
The room was a good size. We could move around and left all our stuff on the floor (bags, luggage, swag, etc.) Every room has a balcony and unfortunately ours overlooked the parking structure, but no biggie. There is NO REFIRGERATOR, NO MICROWAVE in the room. So we brought an ice chest. There was a coffee maker but it was in a weird location below the TV. I had to stoop to use it. 
Beds were comfortable. 4 pillows each.
Parking was $26.00 We actually got to park outside our building most days so we were able to jump in and go in the morning.
We got parking at the Hilton Bayfront and the drive was anywhere from 15-25 minutes going to convention and about 10-15coming back from convention.
The only time we really noticed any outside noise was the last day when it seemed like someone was bowling upstairs.
The hotel has free WiFi for guests.
I am a member of the hotel's rewards program and they never asked, LOL. So, no perks.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 07:51:43 AM »

Offline Billybear

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hotel Indigo

Type of Room: twin room - 2 full size beds on 12th floor

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Hotel Review:

im sure there are good choices in the hotel for meals, but we never used them - breakfast at the Broken Yolk (5 mins) walk - evening meal at Hooters or Smashburger (both very close) or other locations

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? - very polite and courteous

* Did you order room service? - no

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? no pool available - did not use any facilities outside the room

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  - extremely comfortable rooms and beds - no noise issues

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? - n/a

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? on foot 10 minutes

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? - thick walls, no room noise at all

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes - good, fast wifi

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? - yes, Holiday Inn gold - upgraded room, special rate, additional points

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? - no, very nice hotel, but we only used the room - paid a lot for it

- close location to the convention center
- close to a lot of restaurants & 7/11
- great view from your room

- expensive hotel rates per night
- no pool
im a geek :)

Offline Satam

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »
Name of Hotel: Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront

Type of Room: 1 King Bed, 2 people

Number of Nights You Stayed: 7

Year(s) You Stayed There:  2016

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Free Breakfast and Market place type thing to side of lobby

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
The staff were very polite and courteous

Did you order room service?
No

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
Pool and Gym on fifth floor.  Did not use either.  Microwave, coffee maker, and small refrigerator in room.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Very comfortable and good sized room.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
No car.  Did not park.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
Shuttle seemed to be about 15 minutes to a half hour depending on traffic.  It's a little over a mile from the convention center and about a 25 minute walk.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Walls are NOT thin. It was pretty quiet in general, and we didn't really hear other guests.  The sounds of the harbor was what we heard most.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Marriott Rewards Member.  Points.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
It is a very new hotel and is in the same building (different wings) as the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Bayfront

Great view of the bay.  Very friendly staff.  Internet tv.  Comfortable bed and nice pillows.  Not the best location, but not a bad one, either: pretty nice walk to the convention center along Harbor Drive and the waterfront.

The shower head wasn't so good and the handle didn't seem like it was properly calibrated, which took some getting used to (this was probably just our room, though).  Not enough or too full elevators at certain times.

Offline dartz13

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »
Name of Hotel: Sheraton Mission Valley

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There:  2016

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Free breakfast buffet.  The Cru Bistro also offered lunch and dinner, closes at 10 PM.  They also have a 24 hr market.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Very polite and courteous.

Did you order room service?
No

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There was a pool and a fitness center.  Plus, there was a coffee maker and mini fridge in the room.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
My room was very comfortable.  It might be about average compared to other hotels.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
N/A

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
The shuttle stop was right at the hotel and it took about 20-30 minutes to get to the convention center.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
The walls are not thin, but did hear from the hallway.  It was not bad though, quiet for the most part.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
SPG, Starwood Preferred Guest.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
N/A

The Sheraton offered guests to go "Green" by opting in to not have maids go into your room for cleaning or changing out your towels or linen (although, toiletries were an exception) and if you opted into the program, you can choose to either earn 500 points for the SPG program or $5 credit in food/drinks in their hotel per night stay except the night of your departure.  I personally chose the $5 credit and used it towards my dinner in their diner. 

My room looked old, the toilet tank looked like it was not properly seated, but it functioned just fine.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018
NYCC 2016, 2017

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »
Name of Hotel: Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront

Type of Room: 2 queens plus pull-out sofa (could easily sleep 6)

1) Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?

The inside has a market place. Other than that, you need to walk to snack places in the park or back closer to Gaslamp or north.  They do have an amazingly HUGE breakfast for free though.  Like eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes, another hot item (like pancakes), a waffle station, a bread station, a yogurt station, oatmeal, muffins that were more like cupcakes.  If you can hang at the hotel until 0630 when it opens, it shaves off considerable costs having a big breakfast and taking a bagel and fruit to go for lunch.

2) How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?

They were AWESOME.  I highly, highly recommend!

3) Did you order room service?

No, I don't believe it is available either.

4) Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?

There is an outdoor lap pool on the 5th floor, hardly anyone was in it.  The gym was reasonably sized with treadmills, ellipticals, stairclimbers.  They also had a combo weight machine thing which I didn't bother with.  They have dumbbells up to about 60 lbs, bosu bubble, weighted balls for russian twists, etc. and yoga mats as well.  I did weights the first night because I didn't do any other exercise that day. This is one of the better gyms for a smaller hotel I have seen.

5) Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

The room is set up where you walk in and directly in front of you there is a built in with a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee pot.  To the right there is a living room area with what I believe was a queen sleeper although it may have been a double.  There is a desk area for your electronics that is open, as in you can see out the windows sitting on the sofa.  The desk is the divider between the living area and beds. There is a closet to the front of the room next to the window and second bed.  The bathroom area is dead center with a bard door that slides.  The shower was on the right and the toilet was on the left with the sink in the middle.  The bathroom had floor space to stash makeup bags, etc. but not a huge amount of counter space for that.  It was stocked with tons of towels and extra TP.

There was plenty of room and  4 people could fit very comfortably and use the sofa for additional storage or hanging out.  If you had 6 people in there, it might get tight with the sofa out the entire time. If you have tons of luggage or toys it might get tight with 6 people too, but I suspect that would be a problem in any hotel with 6 in a room.  It was definitely larger than the Courtyard downtown. 

6) If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?

Self-parking. I don't recall the cost.  The going rate seems to be $40/nt though.

7) How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

I did not bother with the shuttle for the most part. I either took uber when I was running late or I walked across the street and took the trolley.  The trolley was fast, running every 5-10 minutes tops, and costs $5 for an limited day pass (plus $2 for the card, one-time).  The hotel is about a mile walk through the bayfront (backside of the convention) and I think about 1.5 miles going on the streets.  I took the shuttle back to the hotel the first night and it took maybe 10-15 minutes. I wasn't timing. It was pretty quick considering the time was spent on pokey-slows exiting the bus.

8.) Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

I did not hear any noise.  It was very quiet.

9) Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)

Yes, it was free and easy to connect to.

10)  Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Yes, I am a gold member but due to the hotel being fully booked, I don't believe I received an upgrade other than my room was on a high floor (14th, excellent bay view)

11) Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

The hotel is split between Residence Inn and Springhill Suites. Next year, I will put in for the Residence Inn since it has a full kitchen and hopefully a normal door on the bathroom.  The Springhill suites are well decorated and updated.  However, I think they went too far in the decor because they have a barn door bathroom door.  This doesn't allow for much pooping privacy because there are gaps on the sides so If you walk by at just the right angle, you can see in and basically you can hear everything too.  We turned on the tv for privacy but we're a couple.  It might be awkward for a roommate situation, especially co-ed.

There are no celeb sightings, which is ok with me.  I prefer quiet and relaxing when I am coming back to crash.

12) What did you like about staying at this hotel?

Incredible views, very eager and friendly staff. The rooms are clean and well appointed.  The beds are very comfortable, neither brick hard or squishy soft.  I slept very well.  The hotel was very quiet either because lack of partiers or just well insulated, I don't know, but it was quiet. It felt like a retreat.  The have a 5pm happy hour drink cart too, so you can come in, shower, go down and have a drink before going out to dinner or hitting the gaslamp.

It is also conveniently located away from the noise of the gaslamp but still close enough that everything is walkable if you are in good health or a short trolley ride away. I think this is a hidden gem and it will be my top pick next year.

13) Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?

The barn door on the bathroom.  That is my only complaint and it is very minor.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:42:34 PM by angi »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
I did a mini-review of this hotel back before this format existed, which was based on a one night stay after the Con. Since we stayed here for the full Con this year, I decided to do a more in-depth review

Name of Hotel: Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

The hotel offered free breakfast from 6-10am, including a waffle station, bagels/muffins/scones, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, and hot items such as eggs, sausage, bacon,  home fries (and the home fries were amazing). They are also walking distance to a ton of restaurants, my favorites being Bencotto Italian Kitchen and Queenstown Public House.

Everyone we interacted with was very nice and helpful. When we checked out, the man at the front desk was asking us all kinds of questions about our Comic Con experience and seemed genuinely interested. We had to request room items a couple times (one day we only got 2 washcloths, another day they didn't give us ice bucket liners), and they were very quick to get the missing items to us.

No, and I don't believe it was an option.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
  There is a pool, which I did not use. I don't believe there is a gym, but I also didn't look for one.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
   It was an average size hotel room. There is a closet, and the entire bathroom area is separate from the bedroom area, so you could get ready without disturbing sleeping roommates. We had enough room for all our stuff, but we were only 3 people. A 4th might have made it a little cramped. The beds are queens so there is a little extra room in the bed itself as well.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
   We didn't drive, but there is a parking garage for 20 dollars per night.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
   The shuttle ride to the convention center wasn't bad, maybe 15 minutes? Coming back was longer due to all the traffic in front of the convention center. Sunday after the floor closed, it took over half an hour. What's nice about this hotel is that you can walk a few blocks over to the Best Western and use their shuttle route as well. We did this to get to Spreckels theatre for Conan, because the Blue Route has a stop near there (I want to say get off at the Westin?). We did not use the trolley to get to/from the Con, but there is a stop directly behind the hotel. I didn't attempt walking, but Sunday night we did walk to Seaport Village, which took a little over 20 minutes.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
  The only time I could hear other hotel occupants was when using the bathroom. However, I will say that our room was next to a storage area, so we did not have shared walls. There is train noise, so request a room at the front of the hotel. We were on the side and could still faintly hear it, but it wasn't loud enough to be disruptive.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
  Yes, for all guests. There are also two computers in the lobby for guest use, along with a printer.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
   I am, at the lowest level, but I didn't even add my number to the reservation until the last day. No real perks that I could see, just a different log in process for the free wifi (perhaps it was faster internet, but I had no issues with the standard complimentary wifi)

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
   No celebrity sightings, obviously, it was the Hampton Inn. But the lobby area is really nice, and all day long they have ice cold water available, and coffee. And in the evenings they have cookies at the front desk. Also, all the rooms have fridges, but no microwaves. There is a microwave in the breakfast area that you can use (even if it's not breakfast time). There is no in-room safe. There is a free airport shuttle. The shuttle also makes daily stops at Balboa Park, and may take you elsewhere by request, depending on demand. There is a Rite Aid about 2 blocks away for any necessities.

-Price. This is one of the cheaper non-Mission Valley hotels (and cheaper than even some MV hotels), and you get a lot for your money
-Free airport shuttle
-Free breakfast with lots of options, and convenient times (4 hours in the morning)
-Free wifi
-Little Italy location puts it close to lots of restaurants
-Right by the trolley

The elevators are a little sketchy, they do this bounce thing when they first start to move. And sometimes you have to wait a while for one.

Overall, this place is a great Comic Con hotel. If you're like me, and just leave for the Con in the morning and come back at night, and have no need to go to your hotel room during the day, this is a perfect option. And you can't really beat the price. This year it was 225 for a triple.

Offline geekyfamilyfriendly

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
Name of Hotel:Wyndham Bayside (City View)

Type of room: Dobule Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:  2

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, there was a deli which offered Pizza, hamburgers, salads amongst other things. They also had a Steak house (did not eat there), also they were in the process of constructing a claim jumpers.

* How was the hotel staff? The staff was helpfulWere they polite and courteous? Yes they were

* Did you order room service? No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? Pool, it was not heated, gym, but did not use.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortable to move around? Room was decent sized, we were avle to fit a pack and play for our son. Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Rooms were about the same as other hotels.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?25 dollars I believe

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? N/A

* Are the walls of the room thin? Not that i remember
 What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?pretty decent we were not woken up at all.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  No

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? The City View was great, liked the lights at night. The Deli was open 6am to 11pm, served alcohol but jad to be dunken there.

It is close by, had nice view of the ocean.

The pool wasn't heated.
Although it was close, I wouldn't walk to or from conventiom center.
Some of their Ice machines weren't working.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: I upgraded our room for $60/night for an extra large corner bay/city view 2 queen beds.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: Stayed in 2015 and 2016. (2015 was in a standard room)

Hotel Review: We had 5 of us staying in our room so I had booked the large room direct with the hotel and hoped that they would let me keep it during SDCC, they did but with an upgrade fee of $60/night which having 5 people in the room was worth it. The room was large enough we could have put 3 twin size air mattresses, we had 4 ice chests plus all the exclusives and bags we had got from the convention. From our room we also had a great view of the lines and of the screen where they showed Star Trek.

Only food places were either inside or right outside the hotel. Ordered from sushi bar and was pricey, so only did that once.

The kids ordered from room service, 3 hamburgers with fries, no drinks and with fees and tip it came close to $90.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I like the pool at the Bayfront but except for Tuesday didn't get to use it.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  This room (x-lg corner/bay) is significantly larger than the std room and if you have a large group or are going to have a lot of exclusives the upgrade is totally worth it.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? $32/ night with in and out privileges.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We were right across from the Hall H and everything else line, super convenient.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We never heard a peep either from our one neighbor or any outside noises.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes if you sign up for their free rewards program, but it was slow.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes I am currently a gold member and got vouchers for either a continental breakfast or a coffee and food item at Starbucks.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? I was disappointed that they didn't do the elevator wraps like they did last year and the vibe seemed different this year, but will probably try again next year for it.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? The location, being so close to the lines. LOL

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? That the majority of food places are far away, at least it seems that way after a long day at the con.
Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. N/A
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin Gaslamp Quarter

Type of Room: 2 queen beds, $285/night.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There:  2016.

Hotel Review:
  There was a bar/restaurant in the lobby. They had a good happy hour during the week. There was also a Panera and a Chipotle nearby that made for good, uncrowded lunch options.

Super polite and helpful.
   Negatory

They had a nice pool. I didn't use their gym, but they have a program where you can rent cool workout gear and sneakers for $5 a day. So, something to consider if you want to save a little suitcase space!

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Plenty of space for the three of us, and all of our stuff. We were able to spread out without getting in each other's hair.

I Amtraked, but parking was like, $50 a night.

Maybe a 5-10 minute walk? I'm a native NYer, so I tend to walk rather briskly  ;D

I don't think I heard much of anything outside

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Nope.

I'm an entry-level member. So I got a free bottle of water!

We were right across the street from the Conan tapings, so it seemed like a lot of the production staff was staying there. I saw a few faces from the Nerdist website, but otherwise, pretty low-key.

The location. It was close enough to walk, but far enough away from the crowding.

I wished the wifi was cheaper, but I have unlimited data on my phone plan, so I didn't exactly suffer.

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. N/A

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:23 PM »
Name of Hotel: Renaissance (formerly the W)

Type of Room: 2 full sized beds

Hotel Review:

(Here are some questions to get you started as you think about your hotel stay during Comic-Con.  Again, you can answer all or some of these questions to help you write your hotel feedback comments.)

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes.  Plus, we were really close to Little Italy so it was nice to have options other than the Gaslamp.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Super nice. 

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? There were 2 of us in the room.  Since we both cosplay every day, we travel with a lot of stuff.  There was plenty of room, plus an amazingly comfortable window seat we were both tempted to sleep in.  Would have liked bettor mirrors and lighting for makeup though.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We took the shuttle, it was about a block from our hotel.  It is a little odd to be so far out walking down the street in full on cosplay (with construction workers yelling at you). 

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No noise at all. 

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes but not high enough to get any perks

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?  There were a few random minor celebs and industry people in our hotel.  We saw Adam Sessler (G4) in the lobby bar having a quick one almost every night.  Really nice guy.

- had great customer service
- loved the chalkboard in our room.  We left notes for housekeeping every day.
- fun meeting industry people (more so than meeting A-listers)
- nice getting out of Gaslamp for a bit

- far distance from the convention center, plus a block from the shuttle route
- long traveling time to and from the convention center

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
3 hotel reviews in 1 post!

Name of Hotel: San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina

Type of Room: 2 queens

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2011, 2013, 2015

Hotel Review:

Good hotel, nice amenities (although we never used any of them).  The staff is always friendly and courteous.  Plenty of room as long as you are not trying to cram 5 girls into a room for 4 (never again). Good lighting and mirrors for cosplay preparations.  Lots of celebrity sightings every year.  Good room service.

- close to a lot of restaurants
- great view from your room - we liked being able to see where lines were from our hotel room
- a lot of celebrity sightings

Example list:

- long traveling time to and from the convention center - yes it is right next door but if you are going to Hall H or any other major rooms, you have a long way to walk. 
- it sometimes felt like a pain just to walk to the Gaslamp.

Name of Hotel: Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island

Type of Room: 2 queens

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2012

Hotel Review:

It was a nice hotel, one of the last stops/first drops on the shuttle route.  The hotel seemed a little noisy.  We didn't stay there much, spent most of our time at the Con and Gaslamp because there wasn't much for food or other fun things out there.

-good shuttle route placement
-decent room size

-no food or fun nearby, have to take the shuttle or a cab
-rooms were a little dark

Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: 2 queen

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2014

Hotel Review:

We really liked the Bayfront!  It was a great location, basically closer to the Con than the Marriott! We spent a lot of time hanging in the hotel bar and met some really cool industry people, a few we saw in panels later in the week.  The rooms were nice and bright.  Good mirrors and lighting for cosplay stuff, plus lots of room for all our stuff.  Easy walking distance to Gaslamp for dinner (we never really ate at the hotel).

- close to a lot of restaurants
- great view from your room - we had a room that overlooked where celebs would get into their cars, it was fun to watch
- a lot of celebrity sightings - mostly industry but sometimes that is more fun!

Nothing really.  I would totally be happy here again.

Offline geargirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Name of Hotel: Springhill Suites Bayfront - By the Wyndham

Type of Room: 2 double beds and pull out couch
Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Hotel Review:

In between this hotel and the Wyndham is a cute little deli. You can get breakfast - dinner. Coffee is very good. Breakfast is provided at the hotel and it is pretty good. You can take yogurts and fruit and put them in your fridge for later.

The hotel staff was good. This is a new hotel which made it nice.
We never do room service. On a budget.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.
They have an outside deck on the same level as the breakfast dining hall. It was nice to sit out there at night and in the morning.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably? 
This was a good sized room with a desk and pull out couch. The bathroom had a barn style door which was a bit weird and I think would have been super uncomfortable for people staying together who did not really know each other. Bathroom is also in the middle of the room.

Flew in no car.

The shuttle was very close and a very short ride. The only thing with the shuttles is sometimes they fill up before they finish visiting every hotel.

Noise level was fine

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
I believe the WiFi was free. We have mobile hotspots so that is not a huge issue for us.

Yes. I only got the points for staying there. No additional perks.
Although this hotel seems super far away, it is really fine. I like to stay closer because it is easier to leave the con and rest then go back. However, I have stayed at both the Wyndham and now this hotel. This hotel is definitely nicer and the breakfast does save you quite a bit in food.

Example list:
- you can walk to the convention center but you really need to have good shoes
- no celebrity sightings
-good size room
-liked having the desk

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

Example list:
- bathroom was weird

Offline ohmyj07

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock

Type of Room: Studio before moving to a Suite

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 Nights

Hotel Review:

There were restaurants inside and around the hotel, but a lot of them are on the pricey side. Fortunately, Ralphs is a few blocks away and if you're desperate and don't want to spend a lot of money, Subway is a block away as well.

* How was the hotel staff?
   They were nice and very accommodating.

Nope.

Weren't able to try 'cause they were closed to public and such.

For a party of five with a lot of luggage, the studio room (1 King bed) is small but surprisingly, it fit us all. Plus not all of us are always in the room 'cause some would line up at night and be in the Convention center all day.

A five to ten minutes walk from the Convention Center, depending which side you are coming from and the crowd.

I didn't really have problem with the noise since I'm dead asleep from exhaustion. In the morning, however, I would definitely hear staffs and celebrities passing by the hallway.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
   Yes? I actually don't remember.

A lot of celebrity sightings. We were at Floor 11, where some interviews were happening. I remember seeing Viola Davis, Will Smith, and other casts of Suicide Squad. There were a couple of celebrities I was in the elevator with that I didn't know until my friend told me, but I was definitely with Dave Franco in an elevator once. Also a lot of celebrity sightings in the lobby.

- Close location to the convention center
- You can clearly see the convention center from our hotel window
- A lot of celebrity sightings, etc.
- You need to show proof that you are staying the hotel, which means not very crowded 'cause people can't just go inside the lobby
- People also can't just go up the hotel without the proper hotel key
- The suite room is so spacey and it was amazing! It had two queen beds(?), a sofa room, and two televisions. It was an experience.

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

Example list:
- Very expensive hotel rates per night
- The fridge is filled with things that are so expensive that we just didn't touch the fridge at all
- As much as I love celebrity sightings, they're quite the bother as well since you'll have to wait longer for the elevator and if they closed the front elevators to public, where your room is closer, you'll have to go use the other East elevator(?).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:09:20 PM by ohmyj07 »

Offline Fazermint

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »
I stayed at the Hard Rock last year. They have industry parties at all hours there, and we were right above them, so some nights were extremely loud.

I was forever running into celebs, and I had no idea who they were. But one time when I was leaving, I got caught with them, and paps/fans were taking my photo. I was like, "I'M NO ONE." lol

I was told to take another elevator on the other side of the building so that celebs could get an elevator without waiting.  ::)