Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196853 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #840 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi all,

First off, I just wanted to say thanks Alyssa and Chris H for starting FCC, and to all of the mods for doing a great job at answering all of the myriad questions that we have!!! That being said, HI!!! My name is Max and I'm from Northern California. Roseville to be exact...a couple miles north of Sacramento. I've been to Wonder Con when it was still in S.F., Wizard World in Sacramento, and most recently, The Walker Stalker Con in S.F. After several years of trying in vain to buy my way in to SDCC, I was lucky enough to get accepted to the Volunteer program. This is going to be my first year attending SDCC and am going to do it solo, since none of my friends were able to buy their tickets this year. I found this forum while Googling, "Do I really need friends for Comic Con?". I found most of the answers to the questions that I had about volunteering that Zero had  posted but, as a "guest", I didn't have access to his *spoilers*, so I joined. Best decision ever. Best. Forum. Ever.  Hope to meet some of you guys!

Welcome to the forums, Max!  It's great to have you with us on the forums, and I'm glad you were able to get many of your questions answered!  Ha ha, see, there is an incentive to join and then participate. 

Spoilers are truly amazing things, which is why they're called spoilers.  <3   (Mwuhahahahahaha.  My evil plan worked! Once you've turned to the dark side, you can't go back.  The door of knowledge and information will be open to you.  Ha ha.)

There is a common misconception that I'm a guy, but I think it has to do with the character image for my avatar.  Ha ha.  ^__~

Definitely check out the meet-up threads to get in touch with fellow forum members during Comic-Con:

It's true that you might end up meeting life-long friends.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:54:44 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline tag177

• Sails Pavilion
  • I moustache you a question...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #841 on: February 25, 2015, 02:20:52 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Max!  It's great to have you with us on the forums, and I'm glad you were able to get many of your questions answered!  Ha ha, see, there is an incentive to join and then participate. 

Spoilers are truly amazing things, which is why they're called spoilers.  <3   (Mwuhahahahahaha.  My evil plan worked! Once you've turned to the dark side, you can't go back.  The door of knowledge and information will be open to you.  Ha ha.)

There is a common misconception that I'm a guy, but I think it has to do with the character image for my avatar.  Ha ha.  ^__~

Definitely check out the meet-up threads to get in touch with fellow forum members during Comic-Con:

It's true that you might end up meeting life-long friends.

Thank you Zero! I will definitely check out the meet-up threads and, sorry about the "his" presumption...I used "guy" logic. Which means, "60% of the time, it works all of the time." - Ron Burgundy
P.S. All of the best people are on the Dark Side... ;) and yeah, <3 the *spoilers*!
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #842 on: Today at 02:05:52 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #842 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:19 AM »
Thank you Zero! I will definitely check out the meet-up threads and, sorry about the "his" presumption...I used "guy" logic. Which means, "60% of the time, it works all of the time." - Ron Burgundy
P.S. All of the best people are on the Dark Side... ;) and yeah, <3 the *spoilers*!

You're welcome.  Ha ha, no worries about that!  I understand it can be confusing, especially on the internet.  ^__~  (I only mention it if other people mention it about me first, ha ha.  ;p) 

Maybe I need a new avatar.  @__@!  It could be so completely different that it could alter the time and space continuum of the forum!

...It won't really do that though.  It could potentially be a case of "Wait, who are you again?  Lies!  You're an imposter!  Get the pitchforks!" Ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #843 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:30 AM »
You're welcome.  Ha ha, no worries about that!  I understand it can be confusing, especially on the internet.  ^__~  (I only mention it if other people mention it about me first, ha ha.  ;p) 

Maybe I need a new avatar.  @__@!  It could be so completely different that it could alter the time and space continuum of the forum.

Or maybe Alyssa could have a part of the profile where people voluntarily state their gender, and a symbol appears next to their avatar. I have seen that on a few messages boards.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #844 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:08 AM »
Or maybe Alyssa could have a part of the profile where people voluntarily state their gender, and a symbol appears next to their avatar. I have seen that on a few messages boards.

We can select gender in our profile, and you can see it if you click on a user, but nothing that shows up in our posts...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #845 on: February 25, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »
As an example of what I mean, this is my avatar on another site. You can see the pink symbol next to my name that indicates my gender.

Offline krday

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been a long time lurker. I decided to make an account to help contribute. I ran into this topic kind of late. My name is Kevin. I've been convention hopping for the last couple of years, after graduating college, because hey, we need money to convention hop. I live in the Sacramento county in California, and I hope to make the trip to SDCC a yearly tradition.

I guess I'm just like everyone else here. Major interests in all things pop culture. Comic books, TV shows, movies, etc. Looking forward to posting more on this forum to learn more about other conventions around the country. I'm also looking to share some of my convention experiences with others to help address any questions or concerns they may have about attending large conventions.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Welcome, Krday! I'd love to hear about your other convention experiences. We have a few sections on the board for other cons. Which ones have you been to?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been a long time lurker. I decided to make an account to help contribute. I ran into this topic kind of late. My name is Kevin. I've been convention hopping for the last couple of years, after graduating college, because hey, we need money to convention hop. I live in the Sacramento county in California, and I hope to make the trip to SDCC a yearly tradition.

I guess I'm just like everyone else here. Major interests in all things pop culture. Comic books, TV shows, movies, etc. Looking forward to posting more on this forum to learn more about other conventions around the country. I'm also looking to share some of my convention experiences with others to help address any questions or concerns they may have about attending large conventions.

Welcome to the forums, Kevin!  It's great to see that you decided to participate more actively in the community, and I'm sure it will be appreciated by those who find your experiences insightful and helpful.  You have turned to the dark si--I mean, the more knowledgeable and informed side, yes.  It's not like we have phasers, light sabers, or anything (actually, we do, but that's not the point, ha ha).

^__~

Offline Dougie90

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #849 on: March 22, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Hey. I'm Emma (or just call me Dougie). I'm from Scotland and will be a first time attendee at SDCC. I've been to the West Coast a couple of times, but not San Diego.
I'm a musician, teacher, Star Wars obsessive and a Tabletop player.  I also have a major interest in pop culture - books, comics, movies and tv shows.
I joined the forum to get to know people before I get there, as I doubt there will be a Scottish contingent there, let alone anyone I know.  Also too find out about the Con before I go.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #850 on: March 22, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
Hey. I'm Emma (or just call me Dougie). I'm from Scotland and will be a first time attendee at SDCC. I've been to the West Coast a couple of times, but not San Diego.
I'm a musician, teacher, Star Wars obsessive and a Tabletop player.  I also have a major interest in pop culture - books, comics, movies and tv shows.
I joined the forum to get to know people before I get there, as I doubt there will be a Scottish contingent there, let alone anyone I know.  Also too find out about the Con before I go.

Welcome to the forums, Emma! ^__^/  (I know I already said so in the "How far away are you coming from?" thread, but...) Glad that you could join us in our community!

What instruments do you play?  Do you also teach music?

There's actually a facebook group run by one of our forum members, ukdeejay, dedicated to U.K. attendees for Comic-Con.  Perhaps you might be interested in taking a look to meet up and connect with fellow Scottish attendees at the convention:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^__~

Offline Dougie90

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #851 on: March 22, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Emma! ^__^/  (I know I already said so in the "How far away are you coming from?" thread, but...) Glad that you could join us in our community!

What instruments do you play?  Do you also teach music?

There's actually a facebook group run by one of our forum members, ukdeejay, dedicated to U.K. attendees for Comic-Con.  Perhaps you might be interested in taking a look to meet up and connect with fellow Scottish attendees at the convention:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^__~

Yeah, I teach music in a secondary classroom.  As for instruments, I can play every orchestral string instrument, guitar, bass, drums, percussion and a bit of singing.  I am currently trying to master the ukulele.

Thanks for the tip about the forum, I'm off to check that out now :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #852 on: March 22, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
Yeah, I teach music in a secondary classroom.  As for instruments, I can play every orchestral string instrument, guitar, bass, drums, percussion and a bit of singing.  I am currently trying to master the ukulele.

Thanks for the tip about the forum, I'm off to check that out now :)

That's pretty cool!  I used to play violin for a while, up until college, but I'm always amazed at people who can play more than one instrument.  It takes a lot of skill and hard work.

^__^d  You're welcome.  I know that they have a few meet-ups during Comic-Con as well, so the facebook group is a good place to start networking with new people and friends before the event.

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #853 on: March 22, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »
I didn't know this thread existed! I joined last month and have already gotten a TON of great info. Everyone has been extremely helpful (and patient!).

My name is Jessica. This will be my first SDCC. The only other convention I have ever been to was a Harry Potter Convention in Orlando in 2010. So I'm quite a newbie but VERY excited! I'll be in San Diego July 8-14, going to the Con on Thursday and Sunday.

I'm coming from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'll be joined by an old college roommate and her friend from high school. I'll be travelling separately, though, because they live in another state. (Fun fact: We are all named Jessica!)

I have never been to the West Coast (the furthest West I've been is New Orleans), so I can't wait to experience that. I definitely want to visit the San Diego Zoo while I'm there, and there are probably more restaurants that I want to try than there are meals that I'll actually be eating.

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who (including classic, but I'm only up to the Fourth Doctor so far), Sherlock, Community, The Walking Dead, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, and a million other shows, including some that are sadly over (Lost, Fringe, Buffy). I recently got into Game of Thrones (this will be the first season I watch live), and am halfway through the fifth Song of Ice and Fire book. And, not Con-related, but I'm also a huge sports fan, namely college basketball and NFL.

Any recommendations for touristy stuff to do? This will probably be my only trip to San Diego (at least for a long time), as I don't really have the budget to make it an annual trip, so I want to make it count! We will not have a car, so something accessible by public transport or a short taxi ride would be best.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #854 on: March 22, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
I didn't know this thread existed! I joined last month and have already gotten a TON of great info. Everyone has been extremely helpful (and patient!).

My name is Jessica. This will be my first SDCC. The only other convention I have ever been to was a Harry Potter Convention in Orlando in 2010. So I'm quite a newbie but VERY excited! I'll be in San Diego July 8-14, going to the Con on Thursday and Sunday.

I'm coming from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'll be joined by an old college roommate and her friend from high school. I'll be travelling separately, though, because they live in another state. (Fun fact: We are all named Jessica!)

I have never been to the West Coast (the furthest West I've been is New Orleans), so I can't wait to experience that. I definitely want to visit the San Diego Zoo while I'm there, and there are probably more restaurants that I want to try than there are meals that I'll actually be eating.

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who (including classic, but I'm only up to the Fourth Doctor so far), Sherlock, Community, The Walking Dead, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, and a million other shows, including some that are sadly over (Lost, Fringe, Buffy). I recently got into Game of Thrones (this will be the first season I watch live), and am halfway through the fifth Song of Ice and Fire book. And, not Con-related, but I'm also a huge sports fan, namely college basketball and NFL.

Any recommendations for touristy stuff to do? This will probably be my only trip to San Diego (at least for a long time), as I don't really have the budget to make it an annual trip, so I want to make it count! We will not have a car, so something accessible by public transport or a short taxi ride would be best.

Welcome to the forums, Jessica!  (Ha ha, it's never too late to post in this thread.  It's great to read about fellow forum members and get to know them.)

I'm still disappointed that some shows are over too, including those you've already mentioned.  ^__^

As for tourist-related activities in San Diego, you could go to Balboa Park, located in Downtown San Diego.  It has many museums and a few garden spaces to visit.  I love spending time there.  There's also La Jolla Cove (it's a nice view of the ocean) and La Jolla Shores--you could get to those places by bus with a few transfers.  You can also go to the U.S.S. Midway museum, a naval ship that was converted to a museum, as well as the Birch Aquarium near UC San Diego.  (If you're interested, you can try to catch a performance at the La Jolla Playhouse, located on UC San Diego's campus.)

Here's a few websites to check out to plan activities for your San Diego trip:

Here's the San Diego MTS (Metro Transit System) website for trolley and bus routes to get to different places around town:

Hope that helps! ^__^/  I also live in S.D., so if you need help with bus or trolley routes, I can do my best to assist as well.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:25:38 PM by Zero »