Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196731 times)

Offline Yzrfan

• Exhibit Hall
  • Who would buy two Wonder Kales?
  • Liked: 28
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #990 on: January 21, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »
Well, well, well, Look who we have here. It's been sometime, more like two years or so.  Hope everyone is doing well and life is going somewhat decent for you. It's true what they say "strength in numbers always works."  Those of you who were successful during Pre Reg,  Congrats. Those of us who got the goose egg, I know your pain.  Mrs Yzrfan and I are right there with you. Open Reg is coming up soon, and hopefully things will go better for all of us. Just think after the stress of Open Reg, we have the always fun Hotelpocalypse and parking presale hell. I'm speaking from experience, you can't do it alone and you need the help of your fellow nerds. You need to have each others backs during everything SDCC related, and in life. This is the first time in many many years the Yzrfamily  doesn't  have badges going into Open Reg, and its a crappy/scary feeling.  We have ran into some of the new and old members at different cons while I was away, with the help of everyone's favorite Rando. To all you old timers, "Hello."  For all the new members after my retirement, I'm the jacka@# who brought alittle humor and a-holeness to the forum.  Oh and one more thing before I go, I'm voting "Bert Su for President 2016"
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic Before the dark times before the Empire" - Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #991 on: January 21, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
Welcome back and Good Luck during General Registration.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #992 on: Today at 02:13:57 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #992 on: January 21, 2016, 03:46:08 PM »
Great to see you back, Yzrfan! I'm glad life worked out so that you could rejoin us.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have any luck during pre-reg. Hopefully you guys can get something in open reg!

Offline LaDracul

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #993 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:59 PM »
I just joined yesterday, didn't properly introduce myself.

My name's Joanna, I've lived in IL all my life (though I have been thinking about moving to NY), I'm trying to be an actress (though it's tough where I am, hence the desire to move), I'm single and I'm into film/TV, video games, and cosplay. I had attended Wizard World in the late 2000s until I was a victim of the poor economy. Thankfully I'm back on my feet and am looking forward to attending C2E2 again and hopefully will be lucky to score SDCC this year.

Hello!
Going to C2E2 and SDCC

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #994 on: January 21, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, well, well, Look who we have here. It's been sometime, more like two years or so.  Hope everyone is doing well and life is going somewhat decent for you. It's true what they say "strength in numbers always works."  Those of you who were successful during Pre Reg,  Congrats. Those of us who got the goose egg, I know your pain.  Mrs Yzrfan and I are right there with you. Open Reg is coming up soon, and hopefully things will go better for all of us. Just think after the stress of Open Reg, we have the always fun Hotelpocalypse and parking presale hell. I'm speaking from experience, you can't do it alone and you need the help of your fellow nerds. You need to have each others backs during everything SDCC related, and in life. This is the first time in many many years the Yzrfamily  doesn't  have badges going into Open Reg, and its a crappy/scary feeling.  We have ran into some of the new and old members at different cons while I was away, with the help of everyone's favorite Rando. To all you old timers, "Hello."  For all the new members after my retirement, I'm the jacka@# who brought alittle humor and a-holeness to the forum.  Oh and one more thing before I go, I'm voting "Bert Su for President 2016"

Welcome back, Yzrfan!  It's been a long while indeed!  Remember me?  (Bwuhahahahaha.  ;p)

I just joined yesterday, didn't properly introduce myself.

My name's Joanna, I've lived in IL all my life (though I have been thinking about moving to NY), I'm trying to be an actress (though it's tough where I am, hence the desire to move), I'm single and I'm into film/TV, video games, and cosplay. I had attended Wizard World in the late 2000s until I was a victim of the poor economy. Thankfully I'm back on my feet and am looking forward to attending C2E2 again and hopefully will be lucky to score SDCC this year.

Hello!

Hello there, Joanna!  Welcome to the forums!  It's great to have you as a part of our online community.  The more the merrier, I say.

If you're interested in joining a general ("open") registration buying group, check out this thread here for more information:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  (Freight's group is still open to new members.)

There are also forum meet-ups being planned for Comic-Con.  Right now, there are only a few being organized, but there are usually at least five or six different meet-ups by the time the convention rolls around:

Once again, welcome to the forums!  ^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #995 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
Hi Joanna, great to see you here! You've certainly chosen an excellent time to get back into cons. Good luck with open registration!

Offline LaDracul

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #996 on: January 22, 2016, 06:31:21 AM »
Welcome back, Yzrfan!  It's been a long while indeed!  Remember me?  (Bwuhahahahaha.  ;p)

Hello there, Joanna!  Welcome to the forums!  It's great to have you as a part of our online community.  The more the merrier, I say.

If you're interested in joining a general ("open") registration buying group, check out this thread here for more information:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  (Freight's group is still open to new members.)

There are also forum meet-ups being planned for Comic-Con.  Right now, there are only a few being organized, but there are usually at least five or six different meet-ups by the time the convention rolls around:

Once again, welcome to the forums!  ^__^d

Honestly, I've never heard of a buying group, does it work much of the time?

And thank you. :D

Hi Joanna, great to see you here! You've certainly chosen an excellent time to get back into cons. Good luck with open registration!

Thanks! :)
Going to C2E2 and SDCC

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #997 on: January 22, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »
Honestly, I've never heard of a buying group, does it work much of the time?

I think that's my cue to enter. ;)

A buying group is a group of people who get together to buy badges. The smallest (efficient) buying group is one of 3 people. Since anyone who gets to the buying screen can buy 3 badges, if 3 people work together, then the first one of them to get in can buy all 3 badges. This increases each person's chances, because they have 3 shots to be pulled from the lottery, instead of 1.

The buying groups on this site are bigger than this (around 20-30 people) but work in a similar fashion.The first person to get in buys 3 badges for the group. The next person to get in buys 3 more badges for the group, and so on. This continues until everyone has badges. So only the first third of the group needs to get in to buy everyone a badge. Again, you have increased chances by working with others.

You can check out the buying groups in the SDCC Registration and Badges section of this site. Right now Freight is putting together a buying group. You can PM Freight if you would like to join.

Offline Yzrfan

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #998 on: January 22, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
And we meet again Zero. Hope things have been well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic Before the dark times before the Empire" - Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #999 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:48 PM »
And we meet again Zero. Hope things have been well for you.

Indeed.  I hope things have been going well for you and your family too!  How's work? 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Yzrfan

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
Work is work. You have good days and you have bad days. It's been very trying given the social/political/emotional climate we live in these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »
Work is work. You have good days and you have bad days. It's been very trying given the social/political/emotional climate we live in these days.

Indeed.  Nothing is simple anymore.  *sighs*

Offline PEZSTILENCE

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1002 on: February 01, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »
Hi peeps, think it's time for an introduction after a bit of lurking.

I'm a kiwi based in NZ and planning on travelling to the states later this year with my fiance for a few weeks (yet to be determined how many, based on $ saving ability!). I was big into X-Men / Marvel comics in the 90's, and she is a big Buffy / Potter fan. Other stuff i have an appreciation for...Spawn, Stargate, Marvel / X-Men trading cards and all the Marvel movies :) For about the last year we've been watching a lot of YouTube cosplay vids from various conventions but neither of us have talent in that field so just have an appreciation for it. I've attended a few of our local cons (Armageddon) with the last being in 2014, but they're nowhere near the scale of the US cons.

We have no firm plans but a big part of our upcoming trip was to make it to a US con and once we know what's happening regarding that, plan other things. SDCC is my big hope but i was totally unaware of how hard it is to get badges! So, we're coming to the realisation that maybe we'll have to settle for another con, but still going to give it a go for getting badges to SDCC. If we can't get in there (pretty likely!) then i'd hope to hit somewhere else that does it on a big scale....maybe NYCC. Thankfully nothing at all is booked yet, i've just made sure to have enough leave to book in a decent break around a con once we're locked in.

That's about it for me i think.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #1003 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:44 AM »
Great to see you here, Peztilence! I'm glad you understand the difficulty of getting badges, because it means you will be serious about it. Make sure you set up Member ID accounts for both you and your fiancée, and then join a buying group here on this site. Freight is still accepting new members. This won't guarantee you badges, but it will help.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »
Hi peeps, think it's time for an introduction after a bit of lurking.

I'm a kiwi based in NZ and planning on travelling to the states later this year with my fiance for a few weeks (yet to be determined how many, based on $ saving ability!). I was big into X-Men / Marvel comics in the 90's, and she is a big Buffy / Potter fan. Other stuff i have an appreciation for...Spawn, Stargate, Marvel / X-Men trading cards and all the Marvel movies :) For about the last year we've been watching a lot of YouTube cosplay vids from various conventions but neither of us have talent in that field so just have an appreciation for it. I've attended a few of our local cons (Armageddon) with the last being in 2014, but they're nowhere near the scale of the US cons.

We have no firm plans but a big part of our upcoming trip was to make it to a US con and once we know what's happening regarding that, plan other things. SDCC is my big hope but i was totally unaware of how hard it is to get badges! So, we're coming to the realisation that maybe we'll have to settle for another con, but still going to give it a go for getting badges to SDCC. If we can't get in there (pretty likely!) then i'd hope to hit somewhere else that does it on a big scale....maybe NYCC. Thankfully nothing at all is booked yet, i've just made sure to have enough leave to book in a decent break around a con once we're locked in.

That's about it for me i think.

Welcome to the forums, Pezstilence!  It's always nice to see new members around here!  Glad you could join us.

Indeed, the first major step is to get badges, and truthfully, as a new attendee, it's often the most difficult part.  However, as Transmute mentioned, check out the general registration buying group thread to work with others in trying for badges.  You'll get all of the information you need there: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please note that you can only join one (1) buying group to be fair to others who may also want to participate in a group.  (The group leaders do cross-reference their member lists.)

At any rate, good luck, and once again, welcome! ^__^

My signature also has a list of helpful threads, in case you want a go-to, more organized list for the most relevant (or popular) threads: