Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196813 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1035 on: March 23, 2016, 05:32:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi everyone, I'm Andrew. Grew up in San Diego but moved to NYC when I was 15, and currently live here. I've been going to SDCC since 2004 with my cousin. We took last year off because we needed a break from all of the craziness. We decided to try for passes this year and managed to snag 4 day passes with preview night. Very excited to be going back! Missing last year ended up being really difficult for me. This will probably be my first con not camping out at all for Hall H (well within the past 5 years). I'm throwing in the towel, lol. Also going to be my first year trying for a downtown hotel for the entire length of the con.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Welcome to the forums, Andrew!  (I suppose it's appropriate to also say "Welcome back to Comic-Con!"  Ha ha.) 

This is definitely the perfect place to read up on information about Downtown hotels--and hotels for Comic-Con in general--so I'm glad that you could join us!   ^__^/
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #1036 on: March 29, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
I've changed my screen name!

Not new, but I've decided to move to my actual name. Cracksback, no more, you can just call me Mel. This helps with confusion in person and my name was silly anyhow.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1037 on: Today at 09:56:09 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: March 29, 2016, 01:34:54 PM »
I've changed my screen name!

Not new, but I've decided to move to my actual name. Cracksback, no more, you can just call me Mel. This helps with confusion in person and my name was silly anyhow.

I had to do a double take when I first saw your username change in a thread.  Sneaky, sneaky.  ;p 

(I liked that your old username rhymed.  Tee-hee.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Cajnca559

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #1038 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
Hello all, my name is John and 2016 is going to be my 4th year running going to the con! My wife and I live in Fresno,ca and we love pretty much anything and everything to do with pop culture. We collect funko products and our one vacation a year is to San Diego for the incredible experience that is sdcc. I joined the forum last year after I heard about it from the unofficial San Diego comic con blog. This year being the fourth year at Sdcc, some of the greatest experiences my wife and I have had have been offsite( Conan bingo, nerdist, herd hq and the small panels they put on, the walking dead escape-bummer they got rid of it this year). Well hope to see some of you around the con this year!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: April 02, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
Hello all, my name is John and 2016 is going to be my 4th year running going to the con! My wife and I live in Fresno,ca and we love pretty much anything and everything to do with pop culture. We collect funko products and our one vacation a year is to San Diego for the incredible experience that is sdcc. I joined the forum last year after I heard about it from the unofficial San Diego comic con blog. This year being the fourth year at Sdcc, some of the greatest experiences my wife and I have had have been offsite( Conan bingo, nerdist, herd hq and the small panels they put on, the walking dead escape-bummer they got rid of it this year). Well hope to see some of you around the con this year!

Welcome to the forums, John!  (Officially, ha ha.)  Glad that you could join us in our community, and I'm glad you and your wife had some very good experiences at Comic-Con.  Here's to another great adventure!

What are some of your favorite Funko products that you've collected so far?

If you're interested in joining any forum meet-ups at Comic-Con, here's the list we have so far:

A few more meet-up (and their threads) will pop up as it gets closer to the convention as well, so you can look forward to that.  ^__^
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:49:21 PM by Zero »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1040 on: April 02, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
Welcome, John! We have other members here from the Fresno area, so you're not alone! It sounds like you've had some great experiences at SDCC in the past, and we hope you will continue to share with us (I see that you've been posting about some of them already).

If you keep your eyes out, you may definitely see some of us around the con! Many of us wear FoCC lanyards so that others may find us.

Offline Cajnca559

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1041 on: April 03, 2016, 08:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on getting a couple of lanyards this year to not only support the fourm but also to show off how awesome the friendsofcci fourm is!!
Right now I have around 300 pop figures, a couple of dorbz(mainly from the subscription boxes) and two walking dead vinyl idols. My favorite pops are bane, my Conan pops from last year and blue meth Walter white from last years con! I will definitely check out the meet ups and I'm sure I'll see you are at one for sure!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: April 03, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on getting a couple of lanyards this year to not only support the fourm but also to show off how awesome the friendsofcci fourm is!!
Right now I have around 300 pop figures, a couple of dorbz(mainly from the subscription boxes) and two walking dead vinyl idols. My favorite pops are bane, my Conan pops from last year and blue meth Walter white from last years con! I will definitely check out the meet ups and I'm sure I'll see you are at one for sure!

Thanks!  The support is greatly appreciated.  If you haven't had a chance already, please feel free to check out our You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or, if you're interested, you can take a look at our official merchandise at the shop: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Wow!  That's a very large collection!  Impressive.  You must have a lot of cool ones.  Do you display a few of them and then alternate the displays every so often?

Offline Cajnca559

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #1043 on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
Lol, my office is a computer desk and shelf after shelf of pops! All of them proudly on display along with a few other things. My wife has a shelf of everything R2-D2. Still have plenty of room for more pops though!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1044 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
Lol, my office is a computer desk and shelf after shelf of pops! All of them proudly on display along with a few other things. My wife has a shelf of everything R2-D2. Still have plenty of room for more pops though!

@__@  That sounds incredible!  All 300 of them on display has to make for an amazing office space.  Ha ha.

Offline Satam

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #1045 on: April 04, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
Forgot to post an intro, so I thought I'd pop in and officially say hi now.  I live in Virginia, and my wife and I have been going to Comic Con every other year since 2009.  Went last year and decided to try to attend this year, as well.  Hope it works out.  Got badges, so that's one box we can check.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1046 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
Forgot to post an intro, so I thought I'd pop in and officially say hi now.  I live in Virginia, and my wife and I have been going to Comic Con every other year since 2009.  Went last year and decided to try to attend this year, as well.  Hope it works out.  Got badges, so that's one box we can check.

Welcome (officially) to the forums, Satam!  Glad that you could join us.  ^__^/

What are some things you and your wife look forward to seeing or doing at Comic-Con every year?

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #1047 on: April 04, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
Hi Satam. I am new also. I love this board. I am from Texas. First SDCC but attend others where I am. I get dragged to my son's anime cons so I am dragging him to this one!
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline Satam

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #1048 on: April 04, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
Welcome (officially) to the forums, Satam!  Glad that you could join us.  ^__^/

What are some things you and your wife look forward to seeing or doing at Comic-Con every year?

Well, up until last year, we always went to the Kevin Smith panel in Hall H.  Rotten Tomatoes' "Your Opinion Sucks" was at the same time, and I have a buddy who works for them and was at that panel, so we went to that instead.  I always get a big kick out of the stuff in that Sideshow Collectibles has to show (I think the wife does, too, to some extent, but I won't answer for her), and both of us like to see the Star Trek art and autographed pieces at the Light Speed Fine Art booth.  Cosplay is always fun to see, and it seems like every year we've met at least one celebrity, in passing or just going for a signing or something.

Offline eyisila

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1049 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
Hi! I'm Becky and this will be my 4th (!!!) year attending SDCC. I have three kids (12, 10 and 2) and my husband is actually the one who got me into attending the con. It was something he always wanted to do and one year he was able to score tickets for Saturday and Sunday through the resale. I wasn't really excited about going but I ended up loving it and falling absolutely in love with San Diego. We live in SC and planning the trip every year is a huge pain in the behind but it's all worth it. This has become our yearly family vacation (minus my 12 year old because she refuses to come and person she stays with loves having her) and even if we were somehow not able to get tickets one year, I think we would still try to make the trip. Besides the con itself, the whole atmosphere of downtown during that weekend is just phenomenal.