Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196738 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 05, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi! I'm Becky and this will be my 4th (!!!) year attending SDCC. I have three kids (12, 10 and 2) and my husband is actually the one who got me into attending the con. It was something he always wanted to do and one year he was able to score tickets for Saturday and Sunday through the resale. I wasn't really excited about going but I ended up loving it and falling absolutely in love with San Diego. We live in SC and planning the trip every year is a huge pain in the behind but it's all worth it. This has become our yearly family vacation (minus my 12 year old because she refuses to come and person she stays with loves having her) and even if we were somehow not able to get tickets one year, I think we would still try to make the trip. Besides the con itself, the whole atmosphere of downtown during that weekend is just phenomenal.

Welcome to the forums, Becky!  Glad that you could join our community.

It sounds like a wonderful family vacation!  What are some things you and your family look forward to at Comic-Con or in San Diego every year?

If you're interested in meeting some new people, we do have forum meet-ups.  There will be more as it gets closer to Comic-Con, but you can check out the summary thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Well, up until last year, we always went to the Kevin Smith panel in Hall H.  Rotten Tomatoes' "Your Opinion Sucks" was at the same time, and I have a buddy who works for them and was at that panel, so we went to that instead.  I always get a big kick out of the stuff in that Sideshow Collectibles has to show (I think the wife does, too, to some extent, but I won't answer for her), and both of us like to see the Star Trek art and autographed pieces at the Light Speed Fine Art booth.  Cosplay is always fun to see, and it seems like every year we've met at least one celebrity, in passing or just going for a signing or something.

Very cool.  The Sideshow Collectibles are pretty amazing though!  I love looking at how realistic they are and detailed they are.

Are you and your wife planning to do Hall H this year?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline eyisila

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1051 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:04 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Becky!  Glad that you could join our community.

It sounds like a wonderful family vacation!  What are some things you and your family look forward to at Comic-Con or in San Diego every year?

Thank you for the welcome! The number one thing we look forward to is the weather! lol It get SO hot and humid here and the weather in San Diego is gorgeous. As for the con, we really look forward to seeing the cosplayers. Everyone is so creative and some of the costumes are so elaborate. I love when my daughter gets super excited because she sees someone dressed as Raven from Teen Titans or like last year, we saw several people as Five Nights at Freddy's characters. Artist's Alley is my favorite place and spend more time there than I probably should.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1052 on: Today at 03:19:40 AM »

Offline Satam

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #1052 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »

Are you and your wife planning to do Hall H this year?

Depends on what's gonna be there.  We'd likely go back to see Kevin Smith this year, but I don't know otherwise.  Last year we managed to get into the Doctor Who panel after failing in 2009, 2011, and 2013, but I think they said they'd be skipping this year because of the big hiatus. 

Also, Hi, Becky.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:15:55 PM by Satam »

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #1053 on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
Hello! Lesley here! Los Angeles resident, by way of Brooklyn.  This is my first year going to SDCC, after finally scoring a badge. I'm a fan of the Marvel MCU, and a couple of comic book series at the moment, but I am very much a TV nerd. I try (and fail) to watch all of the shows, but my favorite one is Orphan Black!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1054 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »
Thank you for the welcome! The number one thing we look forward to is the weather! lol It get SO hot and humid here and the weather in San Diego is gorgeous. As for the con, we really look forward to seeing the cosplayers. Everyone is so creative and some of the costumes are so elaborate. I love when my daughter gets super excited because she sees someone dressed as Raven from Teen Titans or like last year, we saw several people as Five Nights at Freddy's characters. Artist's Alley is my favorite place and spend more time there than I probably should.

San Diego does have beautiful weather most of the time, and I definitely enjoy it as well!  (Actually, I live in San Diego, so maybe that doesn't count as much, ha ha.  ^__~)

I love the Artist Alley!  I think it's great to talk to some of the artists about their work and what motivates them as well as get some really amazing artwork.  I wish I could ink and draw like that!

Depends on what's gonna be there.  We'd likely go back to see Kevin Smith this year, but I don't know otherwise.  Last year we managed to get into the Doctor Who panel after failing in 2009, 2011, and 2013, but I think they said they'd be skipping this year because of the big hiatus. 

Sounds like a good start for a plan.  There are so many things to see and do around and at Comic-Con that sometimes it's hard for me to decide.  Plus, there is a lot of good information on how to attend some of the off-site events on the forums, so check out some of those threads too.  ^__^/ 

Hello! Lesley here! Los Angeles resident, by way of Brooklyn.  This is my first year going to SDCC, after finally scoring a badge. I'm a fan of the Marvel MCU, and a couple of comic book series at the moment, but I am very much a TV nerd. I try (and fail) to watch all of the shows, but my favorite one is Orphan Black!

Welcome to the forums, Leslie!  ^__^/  Glad that you could join us on the forums!

You might be interested in this thread to chat about your favorite show with fellow fans on the forums: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you're interested in meeting some new people, we do have forum meet-ups. 

There will be more meet-ups popping up as it gets closer to Comic-Con, but you can check out the summary thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Once again, welcome!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cn7gamer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1055 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »
I'm Wayne; my friend Mike pointed me to this forum for a better chance to get badges. This will be my first Comic-Con, if I go. I'm wondering if the hassle for badges and hotels is really worth it. Maybe I just do this once and cross it off my bucket list. I'm not that interested in the celebrity stuff, but I do like comic books, toys, and action movies.

Cheers,
Wayne

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1056 on: April 07, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
I'm Wayne; my friend Mike pointed me to this forum for a better chance to get badges. This will be my first Comic-Con, if I go. I'm wondering if the hassle for badges and hotels is really worth it. Maybe I just do this once and cross it off my bucket list. I'm not that interested in the celebrity stuff, but I do like comic books, toys, and action movies.

Cheers,
Wayne

Welcome to the forums, Wayne!  Glad that you could join us!

Unfortunately, all badges for Comic-Con 2016 are officially sold out, but you might be interested in some of the off-site events outside of the actual convention center.  The majority of these off-site events don't require a badge.  Check out this thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sweetiepiepen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1057 on: April 07, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »
Hello, all!  I've been a member of the forum since last year but only as a lurker.  I was able to get a room through the Hotel Exchange last year and the room I got greatly added to my enjoyment at my first SDCC.  I live in the southeastern US, I'm not married and have no kids and usually travel with my sister. I'm a hardcore Marvel fangirl, especially of the MCU.  My record for attending a single movie in the theater is 20 times for The Avengers and it's going to be 21 times come May 5th because I already have tickets for the Ultimate Captain America marathon for the premiere of Civil War. Last year in addition to SDCC, I spent time at Nerd HQ, went to the Nerdist podcast with Tom Hiddleston and got into the Aisha Tyler live podcast. And I want to do it all again this year...and more!  :D

Offline Legend_of_Melda

• Exhibit Hall
  • Unleash the bats
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #1058 on: April 07, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »
Hello everyone!  Loving this forum, i haven't been part of a forum since my chemical romanceand i'll admit i missed the feel of it. I've been attending SDCC since 2007. I've been a volunteer mostly but last year finally got lucky, and scored an actual badge. I'm team batman and supernatural. I hope everyone has a great year at sdcc.

Offline cn7gamer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1059 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Wayne!  Glad that you could join us!

Unfortunately, all badges for Comic-Con 2016 are officially sold out, but you might be interested in some of the off-site events outside of the actual convention center.  The majority of these off-site events don't require a badge.  Check out this thread here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry for the confusion. I actually was in a buying group from FOCC and did get badges for this year. I'm mostly just a forum lurker, but trying to be more of a participant. Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1060 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
Hello, all!  I've been a member of the forum since last year but only as a lurker.  I was able to get a room through the Hotel Exchange last year and the room I got greatly added to my enjoyment at my first SDCC.  I live in the southeastern US, I'm not married and have no kids and usually travel with my sister. I'm a hardcore Marvel fangirl, especially of the MCU.  My record for attending a single movie in the theater is 20 times for The Avengers and it's going to be 21 times come May 5th because I already have tickets for the Ultimate Captain America marathon for the premiere of Civil War. Last year in addition to SDCC, I spent time at Nerd HQ, went to the Nerdist podcast with Tom Hiddleston and got into the Aisha Tyler live podcast. And I want to do it all again this year...and more!  :D

Welcome to the forums, sweetiepiepen!  There are plenty of Marvel fans here, so definitely stick around!  There's plenty to read and talk about.  ^__^/

A very impressive record for attending a single movie!

Hello everyone!  Loving this forum, i haven't been part of a forum since my chemical romanceand i'll admit i missed the feel of it. I've been attending SDCC since 2007. I've been a volunteer mostly but last year finally got lucky, and scored an actual badge. I'm team batman and supernatural. I hope everyone has a great year at sdcc.

Welcome to the forums, Honoraryboy15!  I also volunteer at Comic-Con and WonderCon too.  ^__^d  I really enjoy the volunteering experience and wish I could do more shifts instead of the one three-hour shift, ha ha!

Looking forward to seeing you around here more often.

Sorry for the confusion. I actually was in a buying group from FOCC and did get badges for this year. I'm mostly just a forum lurker, but trying to be more of a participant. Thanks for the welcome!

Ah!  I'm glad you were able to join a badge buying group and get badges for SDCC.  Please do drop by more often and join us in some threads every once in a while.  :]

Offline sweetiepiepen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1061 on: April 08, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Welcome to the forums, sweetiepiepen!  There are plenty of Marvel fans here, so definitely stick around!  There's plenty to read and talk about.  ^__^/

A very impressive record for attending a single movie!

Thanks for the welcome;  much appreciated. 
Now that the anticipation surrounding  hotelpacolypse has ended,  I can now change my focus to Civil War!

Offline MyNameIsRinoa

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #1062 on: April 10, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
So wonderful to find this forum... I was searching the Internet for some tips for the SDCC. It will be my first year. I got mega-lucky to get a four-day badge and I want to make the best of it!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: April 10, 2016, 09:31:12 PM »
So wonderful to find this forum... I was searching the Internet for some tips for the SDCC. It will be my first year. I got mega-lucky to get a four-day badge and I want to make the best of it!

Welcome to the forums, [member=5618]MyNameIsRinoa[/member]!  Glad that you could join us.  If you're looking for information and tips for Comic-Con, you've definitely come to the right place!

I saw your post in the "username inspiration" thread, and I thought, "Yes!  Ah-ha!  I knew it!"  FFVIII is awesome.  ([member=3]Chris[/member] and I talk about FFVII... We're excited for the remake, but we're hoping Square Enix does a good job with it, despite the changes they're considering.  Ha ha.)

^__^/  Once again, welcome!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1064 on: April 10, 2016, 09:52:30 PM »
Omnislash forever!  :P