Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196912 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #690 on: April 13, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I found this forum through Reddit this morning while trying to figure out if I wanted to keep my TP hotel reservation. I'm kind of new to forums participation in general, including Reddit, and usually keep to Facebook and Twitter. And that's the problem. I wasn't getting enough info from those sites. I'm hoping to get a bit more involved here since most of my friends aren't really that into Comic-Con.

About me, I'm 35, male, 4th year attendee/volunteer (I do both to guarantee preview night admission), San Diego native, and am just looking to connect with ppl with similar interests at Comic-Con or try something new that I never realized I would like!

I attend SDCC mainly for the amazing cosplay, chances to try out unreleased video games, wandering the Exhibit Hall aimlessly, and attending panels like TWD, GOT, Psych, and less popular ones like Cartoon Voices. I also really like venturing into downtown SD for all the free(ish) events and specials, but always ALWAYS make time for the Nintendo Lounge.

Anyway see you on the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums, Oreodoh!  Glad that you decided to join our community!  There are plenty of things to talk about in regards to Comic-Con, and don't forget that there are a few forum meet-up threads during the convention as well:

Drop by if you can to meet some of your fellow forum members: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^__^d

You know, I don't think I did this...

Comic collector for years...slowed down in my 30s...now pick up some select books...always wanted to go to SDCC and have been lucky to do so for (what will be) the past 5 years.  SDCC has spoiled me in that after going, all the other ones (like Wizard for example) just kinda pale in comparison.  Haven't been to NYCC yet, but hoping to.

East coaster here, Philly burbs, born-n-bred here...interests are comics and anything comic related, comic art, statues, and the like.  Do play a bit of video games (Sony here, PS3 & 4), and funnily enough I'm playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes a lot (go figure).

Lurked here for a bit, but just recently started picking up the pace of participation here...it's a fantastic board, with many, many helpful information and folk, and it's a blast to be a part of. Hope to meet more than a few of you in 3 months...I'll be looking for those Friends of CCI lanyards...

- Michael

PS: You all *did* buy at least one lanyard, yes? :)

Here's your official welcome to the forums, mmukalian!  You know, when I see your username, I keep thinking of the mumakils, the giant elephant-like creatures from the Lord of the Rings... *laughs*  ^__~

Glad that you could join us!

Like I wrote to Oreodoh, check out the meet-up threads for con this year:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #691 on: April 13, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Greetings and salutations!
I am sorry but,  I've been hanging around here since I followed a post from Alyssa on the SDCC FB page after the badge sale and I have not introduced myself. 
Hi, I'm a 40 yr old female from Austin TX. This will be my 1st SDCC, even though I've been trying to get badges for years now. My 13 yr old daughter is joining me on this adventure. We do a lot of Cons here in Tx, but we are out of our minds excited for SDCC!  It really is amazing that we got badges since we have been shut out of badges since 2010. I can't even begin to explain how fracking excited I am to be going this year! It will be my daughter's 1st trip to California.
We do some Cosplay and are going as 11th and River Song one day and Arwen and Frodo on another day.
Our loves are Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tolkien, Fire Fly, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Anime (My daughter is totally addicted to Fairy Tail right now) and many more.  I also collect comics and toys and have passed this addiction on to my little girl. We also enjoy playing video games and table top games, and I have a huge crush on Wil Wheaton that goes all the way back to STNG.
Thanks for all the great people on this forum and I hope to meet some of y'all at one of the meet ups

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #692 on: Today at 07:39:02 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #692 on: April 13, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
I am sorry but,  I've been hanging around here since I followed a post from Alyssa on the SDCC FB page after the badge sale and I have not introduced myself. 
Hi, I'm a 40 yr old female from Austin TX. This will be my 1st SDCC, even though I've been trying to get badges for years now. My 13 yr old daughter is joining me on this adventure. We do a lot of Cons here in Tx, but we are out of our minds excited for SDCC!  It really is amazing that we got badges since we have been shut out of badges since 2010. I can't even begin to explain how fracking excited I am to be going this year! It will be my daughter's 1st trip to California.
We do some Cosplay and are going as 11th and River Song one day and Arwen and Frodo on another day.
Our loves are Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tolkien, Fire Fly, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Anime (My daughter is totally addicted to Fairy Tail right now) and many more.  I also collect comics and toys and have passed this addiction on to my little girl. We also enjoy playing video games and table top games, and I have a huge crush on Wil Wheaton that goes all the way back to STNG.
Thanks for all the great people on this forum and I hope to meet some of y'all at one of the meet ups

Welcome to the forums, lilred!  (I have a habit of abbreviating usernames, mostly because I'm lazy, ha ha.)

Glad that you could join our online community, and it's great to hear that you and your daughter got badges for Comic-Con this year! 

If this is your daughter's first trip to California, I hope you'll get a chance to do some sightseeing in San Diego or Los Angeles while you're here.  (Maybe you can squeeze in a trip to Disneyland, California Adventure, San Diego Zoo, or SeaWorld, if you aren't too exhausted and if you need a break from the insanity that is Comic-Con, ha ha.  Or, you can also pay a visit to Balboa Park--it's quite nice, and it's in the San Diego area.)

^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #693 on: April 13, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Welcome to the forums, lilred!  (I have a habit of abbreviating usernames, mostly because I'm lazy, ha ha.)

Glad that you could join our online community, and it's great to hear that you and your daughter got badges for Comic-Con this year! 

If this your daughter's first trip to California, I hope you'll get a chance to do some sightseeing in San Diego or Los Angeles while you're here.  (Maybe squeeze in a trip to Disneyland, California Adventure, San Diego Zoo, or SeaWorld, if you aren't too exhausted from con, ha ha.)

^__^

Zero thanks for the welcome, lilred is fine it's a nickname that stuck years ago  :)
We are coming in real early Tuesday and are hoping to at least hit the beach and the Zoo before we head home late Monday. We were hoping to stay longer and go up to LA but she is in a summer Engineering program and has to be back by Tuesday.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #694 on: April 14, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
Great to see you here, Lilred! I'm bringing a 13 year old daughter as well, so I know how exciting that can be! I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #695 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »
Greetings fellow Texan! I am from the Austin area also. You guys are going to have a blast! Which cons in the area have you attended? We most recently went to Sci Fi Expo in the Dallas area. The next one will be Comicpalooza, which we really love attending. Again-welcome to the forum!
Ang

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #696 on: April 14, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
Zero thanks for the welcome, lilred is fine it's a nickname that stuck years ago  :)
We are coming in real early Tuesday and are hoping to at least hit the beach and the Zoo before we head home late Monday. We were hoping to stay longer and go up to LA but she is in a summer Engineering program and has to be back by Tuesday.

That's cool!  Wow, engineering!  That's way too much math for me, ha ha.

The beaches are very nice in San Diego in the summer, and don't forget to check for San Diego Zoo discounts if you have an AAA card: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #697 on: April 24, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
Hello! I found the forum because I didn't get my badge approved until after the hotel sale and was lamenting on Twitter that I didn't have a place to sleep.

My name is Jamie. I'm 32, and I live in Brooklyn. I work in the tape archives for the news division of one of the major networks. I have a cat named Merlin. She's evil. As an (unpaid) side job I write for a website called Fangirlish, which is how I'm able to attend SDCC as press this year.

I read a lot, mostly YA novels. I'm a big Harry Potter fan, as well as Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire. I cover Teen Wolf for the website. I also love Archer. Funnily enough, I discovered that I love Archer by sitting through the panel last year at NYCC...while waiting for the Teen Wolf panel.

This is my second SDCC but my first as press, so I'm excited and nervous. I last went in 2012, and I was with a friend. This year I anticipate doing a lot of things on my own. I know I missed a lot my first time, so I love that there is so much advice in this forum.

I'm sure I can't be the only New Yorker here, so if any other NYC dwellers are interested in meeting up and hanging out before the con, I am totally up for that.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »

I read a lot, mostly YA novels. I'm a big Harry Potter fan, as well as Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire. I cover Teen Wolf for the website. I also love Archer. Funnily enough, I discovered that I love Archer by sitting through the panel last year at NYCC...while waiting for the Teen Wolf panel.

Yay!!! another Archer fan  >:D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »
Yay!!! another Archer fan  >:D

My friend and I sat through the NYCC panel, and they showed the entire S5 premiere. They hadn't finished animating it yet, but it was still funny as hell. We couldn't stop laughing. We went back to my apartment that night and started S1 on Netflix.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #700 on: April 24, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
Hi Jamie!!!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:04 PM »
Welcome jamiesugah!

I echo Jim's - Yay! Another Archer Fan!
I think Archer is hilarious and it's one of my favorite shows.  I tried more than once every day last year to get the exclusive Pam dolphin puppet at SDCC but missed out every time. I love the writing and this season has been very different but a lot of fun.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #702 on: April 24, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
Great to see you here, Jamie! Did you end up finding a hotel?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #703 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Hello! I found the forum because I didn't get my badge approved until after the hotel sale and was lamenting on Twitter that I didn't have a place to sleep.

My name is Jamie. I'm 32, and I live in Brooklyn. I work in the tape archives for the news division of one of the major networks. I have a cat named Merlin. She's evil. As an (unpaid) side job I write for a website called Fangirlish, which is how I'm able to attend SDCC as press this year.

This is my second SDCC but my first as press, so I'm excited and nervous. I last went in 2012, and I was with a friend. This year I anticipate doing a lot of things on my own. I know I missed a lot my first time, so I love that there is so much advice in this forum.

I'm sure I can't be the only New Yorker here, so if any other NYC dwellers are interested in meeting up and hanging out before the con, I am totally up for that.

Welcome to the forums, jamie!  I'm glad that you decided to join our community and that you were able to get a badge as Press.

That's pretty cool that you work at one of the major networks.  I'm sure you have a lot of interesting stories to tell about the news (if you could tell them, ha ha).

There are definitely some New Yorkers on the forum, so if you would like to take the initiative to start a New York regional meet-up, go for it! ^__~

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #704 on: April 24, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Welcome jamiesugah!

I echo Jim's - Yay! Another Archer Fan!
I think Archer is hilarious and it's one of my favorite shows.  I tried more than once every day last year to get the exclusive Pam dolphin puppet at SDCC but missed out every time. I love the writing and this season has been very different but a lot of fun.

I went to the Archer panel back in 2012 and it was a blast

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?