Author Topic: Ways to Improve Line Groups  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Ways to Improve Line Groups
« on: July 23, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »
The purpose of this thread is for us to provide answers over what we CAN control.  New CCI security will unfortunately be uniformed and there's nothing we can do about that.  So here's a list of what we can do.

1.  Visual Identifiers.

One way which many of us saw this year was to have a visual way to identify who is in our group.  There are so many pluses to this like preventing people from cutting behind us and allowing others to find our group.  Maybe at night we could have a flashlight so people can find us.  Yeah, phones have them but battery juice is precious during the con even with chargers.  The groups to either side had gold crowns and glow in the dark wristbands.  Considering that the visuals should be cheap and noticeable party hats are a good choice but other groups could come up with the same idea.  With that in mind we could simply slap a FoCC logo or a big red Hall H logo on them; something to make them stand out.  If we can tie to a nerd fandom, even better.

2.  Umbrellas.

We had a few but we needed more.  Collapsible umbrellas seem to be best. 

3.  Community Backpack

It might be a good idea to have an official FoCC backpack or grocery bag that holds necessary items for each shift.  Items can also be donated and maybe returned at the Harbor House dinner.

4.  Line Group Fund.

I am thinking of a minimum of $2 each to buy community sun screen, water, snacks, whatever people are comfortable sharing.  Part of the money can go to morning donuts.  I was happy to bring them on both Friday and Saturday but felt a little bad that I couldn't afford more than a dozen a day leaving some out of luck in our group.  Should we decide to this I think it would be best for someone to buy the items on Tuesday before the Con starts at Ralph's most likely.  I'll volunteer myself should I be lucky enough to get PN next year and we decide to actually do this.  The goal is to provide shifts, especially those staying in line overnight, with some comfort.

Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
Re: Ways to Improve Line Groups
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
Agree with those paper crowns! Such a great idea-simple, cheap and effective.

With a large group and many new faces, I liked the idea of taking a group pic for each shift. It helps to see who is in the group and makes sure people did their shift,too.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:52:48 AM »

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »
I hope this is okay to add.

As someone that is totally new to line groups, I found that finding answers to basic questions like how it all works, location, etc. was the most difficult.

Communication to new folks seemed difficult at best. I know questions of mine and others here, on Discord, and on the line group “app” were essentially met with silence. For a group that seems so welcoming, I’d like to think it wasn’t on purpose.

To that end, can I suggest some written resource/Q&A for those that are new. Something that is only available to members? Or even just a couple people designated as points of contact would be a huge improvement.

For the record, I’d totally volunteer to be one of those people in the future once I’m an informed individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »
[member=8063]clarrkkent[/member]  I think the problem you're having is that, unlike badge buying groups and the hotel exchange, FoCC does not run any official line groups. People find each other here on the forum and form groups, but all coordination must be done via PM or another non-Forum communication channel, because FoCC does not officially endorse line groups.

So there aren't any "official" answers to your questions about where/when/how to join a line group, because each group decides all those things individually, and they don't all use the same policies.

Your best bet if you would like to join a line group next year is probably to keep an eye on the forum from mid-June on and see if anyone is forming a line group and looking for members. Or you can start your own line group and post here looking for members. But all line coordination is done off the forum purposely.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
For the purposes of forum moderation and transparency, I will admit that this thread is on the borderline with regards to the "no line-up times" discussion on the forum.  I will allow it for now as it could lead to some *constructive* discussion, but if it goes anywhere near the issue of line-up times, I may have to close the thread, as that would be against the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  We, the global mods and admins of the this forum, appreciate your understanding and patience on this matter.  Thank you!  ^__^/

Moving on...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope this is okay to add.

As someone that is totally new to line groups, I found that finding answers to basic questions like how it all works, location, etc. was the most difficult.

Communication to new folks seemed difficult at best. I know questions of mine and others here, on Discord, and on the line group “app” were essentially met with silence. For a group that seems so welcoming, I’d like to think it wasn’t on purpose.

To that end, can I suggest some written resource/Q&A for those that are new. Something that is only available to members? Or even just a couple people designated as points of contact would be a huge improvement.

For the record, I’d totally volunteer to be one of those people in the future once I’m an informed individual.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=8063]clarrkkent[/member]  I think the problem you're having is that, unlike badge buying groups and the hotel exchange, FoCC does not run any official line groups. People find each other here on the forum and form groups, but all coordination must be done via PM or another non-Forum communication channel, because FoCC does not officially endorse line groups.

So there aren't any "official" answers to your questions about where/when/how to join a line group, because each group decides all those things individually, and they don't all use the same policies.

Your best bet if you would like to join a line group next year is probably to keep an eye on the forum from mid-June on and see if anyone is forming a line group and looking for members. Or you can start your own line group and post here looking for members. But all line coordination is done off the forum purposely.

In response to [member=8063]clarrkkent[/member] and [member=1291]semigeekgirl[/member]'s posts above:

Yes, it is correct that we do not have and will not endorse any line groups or teams for San Diego Comic-Con or any other convention, as we do not wish to contribute to the at-con, onsite controversies and issues associated with line groups and the like. 

To prevent this reply from looking like a giant wall of text (which the below portion sort of is, ha ha), I've added spoiler tags to break it apart a little bit.  Click on the "spoiler" tag below:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion of "Ways to Improve Line Groups."  ^__^/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:47:54 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
Yes to the wristbands/hats/visual identifiers.

Also, I feel like next year we should bring a nice substantial tent. CCI clearly allows it despite what they state, it will be good to protect us from sun/wind, and it will better help us define our space and prevent other groups slowly but surely encroaching (as the Saturday Hall H group learned). And of course it would also serve as a nice landmark.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
What we found helpful was taking group pics for each shift so we know where and who everyone is. 

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
How about a mini flagpole with a sigil to mark territory? 😁
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »
while this link is slightly off topic, folks may want to read the blog's article on lines You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5