Author Topic: SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info and FAQs  (Read 9773 times)

Offline mostlyalurker

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Re: SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone have any experience with wheelchair access and the shuttle? This is my 1st year in my chair and I'm worried we didn't get a Downtown hotel and would like to know what issues anyone had with their wheelchairs, was there a ramp, do I need someone to carry me to a seat. It's just me and my 15 year old daughter and I don't think she could carry me.
Thanks
LeeAnn

i do! they run a special shuttle service for us. essentially like super shuttle vans but with wheelchair locks and the like along with one bench seat. they don't hold many at a time, and they don't run routes like the regular big bus shuttles. it's more an appointment based/on-demand shared ride sort of thing. i just discovered the wonders of it in the last year or so.

just outside entrance A of the convention center, to the LEFT as you face the doors, there'll be an unmarked table and/or a tall stool chair. _that's_ the headquarters of the ADA shuttle. the folk there i've worked with have been lovely. you'll have to make an appointment for the morning pick up, and the demand is much higher than the supply, so know that you might not get the time you want (unless you like to arrive a bit later in the morning). during the day, it's a bit more on-demand, and at con closing, again, an appointment is best if you know when you want to go back to your hotel. it does NOT run 24 hours a day. i don't remember the times, you'll have to ask.

it is a ramp shuttle, so you'll not have to transfer or be carried or anything, just roll on and off.

hope that proves helpful! feel free to ask me anything else, especially if i wasn't clear in my explanation. sometimes i'm not.
good luck to you and enjoy con!
mal

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
i do! they run a special shuttle service for us. essentially like super shuttle vans but with wheelchair locks and the like along with one bench seat. they don't hold many at a time, and they don't run routes like the regular big bus shuttles. it's more an appointment based/on-demand shared ride sort of thing. i just discovered the wonders of it in the last year or so.

just outside entrance A of the convention center, to the LEFT as you face the doors, there'll be an unmarked table and/or a tall stool chair. _that's_ the headquarters of the ADA shuttle. the folk there i've worked with have been lovely. you'll have to make an appointment for the morning pick up, and the demand is much higher than the supply, so know that you might not get the time you want (unless you like to arrive a bit later in the morning). during the day, it's a bit more on-demand, and at con closing, again, an appointment is best if you know when you want to go back to your hotel. it does NOT run 24 hours a day. i don't remember the times, you'll have to ask.

it is a ramp shuttle, so you'll not have to transfer or be carried or anything, just roll on and off.

hope that proves helpful! feel free to ask me anything else, especially if i wasn't clear in my explanation. sometimes i'm not.
mal

Good to know!

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info and FAQs
« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:28:30 AM »

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:27 PM »

mal
Thank you so much! This helps so much, I'm so glad it's a roll on roll off, one thing that has really irritated me lately is when I've had to be picked up by an absolute stranger, it's as embarrassing for me as for them. The only bad problem is I get exhausted and my pain goes through the roof so I don't see a quick way to get back to the room to rest & recharge.
Another question we have Thursday-Sunday badges will I be able to go in disabled services to sign up on Wednesday? Or will I have to wait for Thursday. I would like to take care of it Wednesday so we don't have to wait in line Thursday & miss panels.
Thanks again for the help Im new at this & I'm just worried 1st time away from home after losing use of my legs
LeeAnn

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Change the title from "SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info" to "SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info and FAQs" (to help clarify that you can ask questions about the official Comic-Con shuttles here as well as get the last updates about them).

If you want to ask about public transportation in San Diego in general, check out this thread:

^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline mostlyalurker

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »
Thank you so much! This helps so much, I'm so glad it's a roll on roll off, one thing that has really irritated me lately is when I've had to be picked up by an absolute stranger, it's as embarrassing for me as for them. The only bad problem is I get exhausted and my pain goes through the roof so I don't see a quick way to get back to the room to rest & recharge.
Another question we have Thursday-Sunday badges will I be able to go in disabled services to sign up on Wednesday? Or will I have to wait for Thursday. I would like to take care of it Wednesday so we don't have to wait in line Thursday & miss panels.
Thanks again for the help Im new at this & I'm just worried 1st time away from home after losing use of my legs
LeeAnn

yeah, depending on where you're staying, the getting back to the room to rest and recharge can definitely be a REAL challenge. is your chair motorized or manual?

as to badges, because they're snail mailing them to us this year, i honestly don't know. in the past, w/no preview night, you had to go to town and country to pick them up, tho there was a special disabled services area there, so all could be handled no problem (once you could actually get _inside_ the T&C). #nightmare  last year on preview night, it was a complete clusterf*ck trying to get badges at the convention center, and we missed the first hour or so waiting in line. hadn't been like that before.

are you aware that you DO get ONE person as your disability attendant? it's easiest if they have a badge that matches yours (3-day, 4-day, whatever), and that you go together to get yours marked as disabled and they get their attendant pass. idk how they're going to do that this year. if you don't have matching passes (or they don't _have_ a pass), you have to go super early in the morning to get them an attendant pass for the day. it's a PITA, but at least doable and possible if you couldn't get matching multi-day passes.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »
I'm in a manual chair & I have a feeling I will be exhausted pretty quick. Thanks for all the info on the shuttles I still don't have a room yet, wait listed, but it's good to know if we are out in Hotel Circle. I'm hoping for T&C if not downtown. We used the trolley a lot in 2014 & it would be a good option. I was able to get my daughter the same days as I got I didn't want to risk her not being able to attend, plus she might want to go to something I don't. I just didnt want to risk it. I will try and see if I can email them & ask how we are supposed to proceed for our attendants since we don't pick up the badges. You have helped ease my mind about this whole trip. Thanks
LeeAnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SandamnWs7

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
How late do the Shuttles run? Is it 24/7?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
How late do the Shuttles run? Is it 24/7?

Unfortunately, CCI hasn't released more information about the shuttle schedules yet, but we do know this so far:

COMIC-CON SHUTTLE SERVICE RUNS CONTINUOUSLY!

Helping fans enjoy every hour of Comic-Con 2016 and the nighttime fun, too!

Shuttles for Comic-Con 2016 will run continuously to the hotels indicated in this PDF during these hours:

WEDNESDAY: 3:00 PM—10:00 PM (PREVIEW NIGHT)*

THURSDAY: 5:00 AM THROUGH SUNDAY: 7:00 PM: SHUTTLE RUNS CONTINUOUSLY!*

*FREQUENCY VARIES THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jxhide

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
Did this happen to anyone last year where the bus driver would only stop if you told him your stop? This was for the downtown routes.  Once he completely missed a stop and there were people waiting there. Another time the driver would yell out the stops and you had to tell him you were getting off. Unfortunately not everyone could hear him so some people ended up getting off at stops further down.

Offline Yvette

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »
When the estimated time of travel is posted, does it include wait times between shuttles?

How early does the big rush start with the shuttles?

Where does the shuttle drop you off?

Is there only one entrance to the Convention Center?  If not which is best for going to the FUNKO booth?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
When the estimated time of travel is posted, does it include wait times between shuttles?

How early does the big rush start with the shuttles?

Where does the shuttle drop you off?

Is there only one entrance to the Convention Center?  If not which is best for going to the FUNKO booth?

CCI doesn't include wait times because the travel times for each of the official Comic-Con shuttles really depends on the traffic around Downtown S.D., but the shuttle information does indicate the frequency of the shuttles.

Here's the thread for Comic-Con 2015's shuttle info to give you an idea what to expect:

The shuttles drops you off and picks you up in front of the convention center on the Harbor Blvd side.

There are different shuttle routes for different hotels, so some have a longer travel time than others.

In the past, if you're heading to the convention early in the morning--before the Exhibit Hall officially opens for the day--the best way to get to the Funko booth is to join the "Exhibit Hall" line that CCI sets up (usually people camp out in this line though).  The security guards filter you through the convention center to enter the Exhibit Hall when it opens.

If you're heading to the Exhibit Hall after it opens for the day, then the easiest way is to go through the front main entrances.

Please note there will likely be RFID badge scans at some point, but we don't have any information on how that will work.  (CCI won't be releasing that information until much closer to the convention, so that's why I mentioned "In the past."  They probably won't change the lines, but they might include some RFID badge scan checkpoints at the building entrances they guide you through.)

We'll have a few threads talking about lines later on, so please look forward to those for more information. ^__^d

For the question "How early does the big rush for the shuttle start each day?" my best guess is somewhere around 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM because most people are awake by then, but it really depends on how many hotels are on that shuttle route.  Some SDCC shuttle routes have less hotels to go to, so the "morning rush" isn't too bad for those.   (Another forum member will probably be able to answer this question with more details, since I don't normally take the hotel shuttles, but I thought I would provide a little bit of feedback to get you started.)

Hope this helps!

Forum Housekeeping:
Split this post off of the public transportation question thread (which mostly for questions about San Diego's MTS buses and trolleys).

Merged this post into the SDCC 2016 Shuttle Info and FAQs thread.

^__~
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:29:34 PM by Zero »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »
Has anyone had experience with boarding the shuttle buses when you need a cane for support?  The last time I went, there were a variety of bus types, but most of them had a pretty steep board step. I have a sister who uses a cane.  Maybe it will just take her a bit more time to climb those steps.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »

You know we’re getting close to Comic-Con each year when we post the Shuttle Schedule! It’s a great, FREE way to go to and from the San Diego Convention Center, whether you’re staying at one of official hotels or just parking nearby. Hop on the bus and show your Comic-Con badge to get where you’re going!

Please click here to visit our Shuttle Page

and download the PDF of the schedule and map, provided by Seat Planners and sponsored by NBC.

In addition, we’ve updated our Comic-Con Transportation page, which includes links to San Diego’s MTS Trolley Service (MTS has a dedicated Comic-Con 2016 page, but info has not been added to it as of yet), plus the Coaster rail service and Amtrak California.

Bottom line? You don’t have to try to navigate San Diego’s busy streets during Comic-Con and find a parking space! Take our FREE shuttle service, or the train and trolley services mentioned above, and leave the driving to someone else!

Comic-Con International Shuttle Includes 24-Hour Service!

Hop the FREE Shuttle to 57 Different Locations!

Comic-Con International’s FREE Shuttle service once again offers 24-hour service stopping at 60 locations in downtown, Mission Valley, and hotels near the airport on Shelter Island and Harbor Island. The shuttle service, sponsored by NBC and coordinated by Seat Planners Incorporated, kicks in Wednesday, July 20 from 3:00 PM until 12:00 AM for Comic-Con’s Preview Night. On Thursday, July 21, 24-hour service begins starting at 4:30 AM and runs continuously until Sunday, July 24 at 7:00 PM, with the frequency changing throughout the day. Pick which shuttle route is best for you, and show your Comic-Con badge when you get on ... it's that simple!

Comic-Con Shuttle Service Frequency

Wednesday, July 20

3:00 PM - 7:00 PM:    Every 20 minutes
7:00 PM - 12:00 AM:  Every 15 minutes

Thursday, July 21

4:30 AM - 8:00 AM:    Every 30 minutes
8:00 AM - 10:00 PM:  Every 15 minutes
10:00 PM - 11:59 PM: Every 30 minutes

Friday, July 22

12:00 AM - 8:00 AM:   Every 30 minutes
8:00 AM - 11:59 PM:   Every 15 minutes

Saturday, July 23

8:00 AM - 11:59 PM:   Every 15 minutes

Sunday, July 24

8:00 AM - 7:00* PM:    Every 15 minutes

*The ending time on Sunday is the last departure from the San Diego Convention Center to official hotels. The last bus departing the hotels going to the Convention Center is approximately 30 minutes prior to the end time listed.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
[member=2163]AzT[/member] can you convert their pdf's in to img's & add them to the OP?  Just so we'll have a record in future years
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
Thanks for posting [member=2163]AzT[/member]!
Forum Housekeeping-added the updated info to the original post and added an image of the map. Put the schedule and map under spoiler tags in the interest of space.

[member=2163]AzT[/member] can you convert their pdf's in to img's & add them to the OP?  Just so we'll have a record in future years
I am working on doing that.
Edit: Done. Let me know how it looks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:34:04 AM by Angology »
Ang