Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration  (Read 24645 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wait until after Wondercon in a couple weeks. I've also seen two people on Facebook groups with the same situation, and someone on Twitter. I think this is more of a widespread issue than they think it is.
Their registration page was removed the day they cancelled the convention, without warning and their messaging before cancellation was "Don't rush to register!!!!".

This is absolutely unethical on their part, especially considering professionals working in the industry are getting shafted due to their mixed messaging. I don't think this is "see both sides" issue at all, their Professional page was taken down prematurely.
"Unethical" seems a bit harsh, especially when referencing a legit "once-in-a-lifetime" (hopefully) global pandemic where our entire country had an 'emergency' shutdown for several months.  I 100% get your frustration, and I'm working on a bit of a SNAFU on something on my own end having to do with CCI Member ID stuff so i also 100% get frustrations with CCI specifically.  That being said, remember this has all happened because of a global pandemic.  Add that CCI, for as large as its attendee base is, still is a relatively small non-profit operation employee-wise.  Patience is a virtue and I'd like to think that after WonderCon in a few weeks they'll have more time to sort out this bit of a unique mess. 

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
I do agree that CCI's heart is in the right place. They are not out to deliberately hurt anyone. That being said, it is very likely that they just did not realize that this grey area existed. Bringing it to their attention is definitely the best way to arrive at a solution.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:52:36 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »
If anything, CCI bends over backwards to help.  The behavior I've seen some people exhibit and then are met with a smile by someone from CCI is amazing.  I've seen people throw downright tantrums just because they didn't like something.  Then some staff member calms them down and tries their best to accommodate them.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »
"Unethical" seems a bit harsh, especially when referencing a legit "once-in-a-lifetime" (hopefully) global pandemic where our entire country had an 'emergency' shutdown for several months.  I 100% get your frustration, and I'm working on a bit of a SNAFU on something on my own end having to do with CCI Member ID stuff so i also 100% get frustrations with CCI specifically.  That being said, remember this has all happened because of a global pandemic.  Add that CCI, for as large as its attendee base is, still is a relatively small non-profit operation employee-wise.  Patience is a virtue and I'd like to think that after WonderCon in a few weeks they'll have more time to sort out this bit of a unique mess.

With all due respect, I would say that professionals took a very hard hit during the pandemic - and the same empathy that we have for the small outlet that is CCI, CCI should have the same level of empathy towards professionals who have had to completely alter their business over the past two years. I think unethical is perfectly fine adjective to use when replies from the professional department have all basically said "sucks for you", especially when considering this is an error that they are responsible for.

Alas, I digress, I too know and believe that CCI is an organization that is awesome and will do what they can at the end of the day - but communication has always been one of CCI's biggest weaknesses. I'm sure they'll take care of the situation in due time, but I urge them to treat the working professionals in this situation with a little more respect then I've seen them exhibit thus far.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 03:40:00 PM by rickythump »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »
Overall in the future be like the rest of us, get your badges when you can ....you never know what can happen if you wait.

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »
Overall in the future be like the rest of us, get your badges when you can ....you never know what can happen if you wait.

What an ignorant statement. You have no idea what people's life or financial situations are at the time the registration window is open and NEED to wait until a more appropriate time to make a large purchase. Trade Professional badges cost nearly $300. Maybe someone is waiting for a tax return, maybe there is a family emergency to care for before thinking of acting on something that has been guaranteed available by the company offering it.

So overall in the future be more compassionate and think before you speak as some people may not have the privilege you do to get things when they can or want.
Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2022, 07:33:18 PM »
What an ignorant statement. You have no idea what people's life or financial situations are at the time the registration window is open and NEED to wait until a more appropriate time to make a large purchase. Trade Professional badges cost nearly $300. Maybe someone is waiting for a tax return, maybe there is a family emergency to care for before thinking of acting on something that has been guaranteed available by the company offering it.

So overall in the future be more compassionate and think before you speak as some people may not have the privilege you do to get things when they can or want.
or....Again not talking about the past when they told you had time.  Know that all of us would love to wait until it was just right to buy our expensive badge.  I think most of just know that either buy the $300 badge now or we won't have a chance later.  It's awesome that they give you a window, just myself personally I would be buying right away as who knows when something crazy is going to happen in the world these days and turn something guaranteed into sorry.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
or....Again not talking about the past when they told you had time.  Know that all of us would love to wait until it was just right to buy our expensive badge.  I think most of just know that either buy the $300 badge now or we won't have a chance later.  It's awesome that they give you a window, just myself personally I would be buying right away as who knows when something crazy is going to happen in the world these days and turn something guaranteed into sorry.

I like how you added  "Again not talking about the past when they told you had time." as if your previous statements understood we had guaranteed time and badges. Thanks for giving your advice after the  unethical incident.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »

It is unethical because the pro badge process became a first come, first served by allowing only those who registered prior to 4/17. The email said it was not first come served and we could we wait.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 12:58:48 PM by Roshawn »

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2022, 05:59:53 AM »
On the cost end, I try to work through the lotteries because I can get a Senior discount for 3 days instead of full price for 4+ days as a Trade Pro. (It  takes a lot of free lemonade in the Pro Lounge to make up the difference.) I already had 2020 lottery badges but I would have waited until late if I had relied on the Pro process, to confirm who would attend as my guest. So I understand the issues with the folks who got frozen out. Now we know it's a good idea to renew or request Pro status ASAP; I see I'm good through next year.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2022, 12:13:32 AM »
Now we know it's a good idea to renew or request Pro status ASAP; I see I'm good through next year.

No, that is not what happened. We were and currently approved as pros.

It's like that timer to fill out during your general registration. SDCC gives you 17 min to fill out 3 member ids and credit card information.  Imagine after checking all the days with preview night, in the middle of filling out the billing information with 12 minutes left, covid happens in the middle of your registration. Registration closes. SDCC says sorry we only accepting those who finished registration.

You had 12 minutes left... We had 5/6
All the badges were available during general..  our badges were guaranteed
You take screenshots .. we have the sdcc email.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:50:15 AM by Roshawn »

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2022, 12:57:06 AM »
No, that is not what happened. We were and currently approved as pros.
Sorry, I had not meant to seem like I was responding to you, but to the cost comment above it. Next time I'll quote the context.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2022, 10:44:04 AM »
From: The San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON & WONDERCON: THE PROFESSIONAL PROBLEM

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2022, 12:14:56 PM »
From: The San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON & WONDERCON: THE PROFESSIONAL PROBLEM

This is a good article, but only addresses the Professional status application issue and not the guaranteed badge allotment issue. But appreciate the posting of this and hoping SDCC sees the growing issue as more people discover the discrepancies.

~S

Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2022, 06:24:37 AM »
UPDATE ON PRO BADGES
Full details on their website
ALL “Not Due” professionals, including those who last verified in 2019, will have one additional year added to their verification, beyond the one year that we initially granted in 2020 due to our first canceled slate of shows.  This update will not be viewable in our database until after WonderCon 2022, but it does allow those affected to attend WonderCon if they wish – see the next point for details!

For WonderCon 2022, this means that many of you who had previously been listed as “Due” and were ineligible to register for our upcoming show may now join us as we come together in Anaheim, CA, from April 1-3.  If you are affected by this, you will receive a separate email with instructions on registering your WonderCon 2022 badge and guest badges.

For Comic-Con 2022, we had previously stated that only those who registered a professional badge for Comic-Con 2020, and had their badge roll over to 2022, would be able to attend as professionals.  However, due to the loosening of COVID-19 safety restrictions and increased capacity, we are pleased to announce that we will be able to accommodate additional professionals at Comic-Con 2022! This will be open to all “Not Due” professionals who have not already registered.  Badge pricing and guest allotments will remain the same as your pricing and allotment for Comic-Con 2020 badges.  More details on when and how to register these badges will be provided in the months between WonderCon and Comic-Con 2022.  Please watch your email, as well as this website, for more information as it becomes available.  Note that this applies only to professional badges, and we do not anticipate any additional attendee badge sales for Comic-Con 2022.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 06:27:09 AM by RighteousRita »